Ridgeway Trace

northernbizzkit1

Ridgeway Trace Plans Progress

This is pretty exciting if things go as planned. According to the article, Target and Maggiano's Little Italy are interested. I've read before that the Cheesecake Factory and Panera Bread are rumored to be a part of this deal as well as a mixed-use tower. I would hope, however, that the retail takes an urban design. I'd like to see the Target be a two-story store with a parking garage simply because the normal box store/parking lot design wouldn't really fit in with the East Memphis area. Maybe the tower (it's not mentioned in this article) would be a new tallest for Memphis! However, it's a tad early to start talking about that.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mixed-use tower would be an excellent addition, and an urban design would make this a really welcome addition to the city.

I believe Ridgeway Trace was well over 25 years old, which makes it an ideal candidate for replacement. Low-rise apartment complexes tend to suffer from a dramatic increase in maintenance after 10 years, which becomes a nightmare after 20. By 25, many are seen to have peaked, and passed the point of their useful lives.

Sadly, many more recently constructed communities aren't faring so well. I can think of some in Cordova that suffered serious problems in only 2 or 3 years. You wouldn't believe the amount of effort that goes into hiding the state of a property from prospective residents.

The standards for construction seem to have dropped a bit.

This is good news for all of East Memphis, but I was a little disappointed they won't be building a new road underneath the railroad tracks to connect Park Ave. to the development.

Where are we getting talk of a tower from? That would definitely be awesome, but it seems like it would've been mentioned already...

Still, this is 400,000 square feet, which is notable. I am concerned, though, what this would mean for the Target on Colonial...

This is good news for all of East Memphis, but I was a little disappointed they won't be building a new road underneath the railroad tracks to connect Park Ave. to the development.

Where are we getting talk of a tower from? That would definitely be awesome, but it seems like it would've been mentioned already...

Still, this is 400,000 square feet, which is notable. I am concerned, though, what this would mean for the Target on Colonial...

I think that the target on Colonial does so much business that they need another store. It is almost always packed, and they have been trying to get a second store in midtown for quite a while. (There isn't another store in midtown or downtown for general housewares.)

After the store at ridgeway trace is built, all of midtown and downtown will still go to the colonial store.

Project delayed a month over traffic concerns

"We're hopeful that they can figure out a way to make the traffic work long term," said Russell E. Bloodworth Jr., executive vice president of Boyle. "Everybody needs to be sure that what they propose will not have Poplar coming to a complete screeching halt. "Of course we want more development in the city of Memphis, so we're excited about that," he said. "But we want to be sure the overall corridor's transportation system continues to work."

At least they're considering this, and this incidentally means the project is moving forward. The article says the development will resemble Carriage Crossing and will have a "major anchor", some "junior anchors", offices and restaurants. No mention of a tower...

Project delayed a month over traffic concerns

"We're hopeful that they can figure out a way to make the traffic work long term," said Russell E. Bloodworth Jr., executive vice president of Boyle. "Everybody needs to be sure that what they propose will not have Poplar coming to a complete screeching halt. "Of course we want more development in the city of Memphis, so we're excited about that," he said. "But we want to be sure the overall corridor's transportation system continues to work."

At least they're considering this, and this incidentally means the project is moving forward. The article says the development will resemble Carriage Crossing and will have a "major anchor", some "junior anchors", offices and restaurants. No mention of a tower...

• 1 month later...
On the whole I think this is good news. Anytime retail is developed inside the city is good news, IMO.

I am disappointed, though, that they won't be tunneling under the train tracks to Park Ave. I also don't think the Target on Colonial will be left open with Target in midtown and Target in this new development (I hope I'm wrong, though). In fact, all those shops like Pottery Barn and Gould's will probably move here which won't be a net gain for Memphis. Ah well...at least they're staying in Memphis.

Look for that stretch of Poplar to be upscale restaurant heaven with Carrabba's, P.F. Chang's, Fleming's, and Houston's already open, Olive Garden on the way, and Cheesecake Factory and others in this development.

Yeah, I don't think the Target on Colonial will go anywhere either. Too good of a location to boot it out just because one opens up a few miles down the road. The new one at Ridgeway will serve a different customer base. Plus as mentioned the Audobon Shopping Center is a draw in itself with Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and Levenger.

Yeah, I don't think the Target on Colonial will go anywhere either. Too good of a location to boot it out just because one opens up a few miles down the road. The new one at Ridgeway will serve a different customer base. Plus as mentioned the Audobon Shopping Center is a draw in itself with Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn and Levenger.

Yeah...those are the stores I was saying would move east.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic. But do you guys really think we can support 3 Targets within/on the loop? There IS 200,000 people inside the loop which is a sufficient number... Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am, actually.

• 5 months later...

Looks like this development is moving forward. Any thoughts on the plans? What else besides a Target is planned? Anyone know what the restaurant might be? Is there any details of the plans? Is it just going to be another strip mall or is more smartly planned with an interesting architecture and layout?

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Well it sounds like they just kinda rotated the whole plan, so something very possibly will jut up next to Poplar.

I was rather disappointed about the parking garage being gone too. But maybe that was in the interests of safety...

The future of Target on Colonial does not look good. <_<

• 1 month later...

Archived