Revitalizing Nashville's "Pikes"

jcoop

http://www.thetennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll...EWS05/611050365

Article from today's Tennessean. Very glad to hear this brought up, thought it could provoke some thoughtful discussion. We've talked before about changing West End, but for now let's be happy with how much better it is compared to some of these other roads.

So comments, suggestions for future ideas? We know we aren't going to eliminate some of these lower image businesses, but what kind of restrictions can be put in place that will help spark development and give a nicer image?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.thetennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll...EWS05/611050365

Article from today's Tennessean. Very glad to hear this brought up, thought it could provoke some thoughtful discussion. We've talked before about changing West End, but for now let's be happy with how much better it is compared to some of these other roads.

So comments, suggestions for future ideas? We know we aren't going to eliminate some of these lower image businesses, but what kind of restrictions can be put in place that will help spark development and give a nicer image?

Not to be a total cynic...BUT...those pictures in Denver, you can't really compare the before and after. In the before pictures they're showing low-rent retail and a cheap, not nice, area. In the After pictures, we morph into a totally different area....literally...it's an upscale residential neighborhood. I do think that our pikes could use some work, and I think that some of Nashville's nicest areas, could REALLY use some work (i.e. Hillsoboro Road/Pike in Green Hills), and could use some streetscape improvements.

Archived