The skyline thread

Flash

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flash, with, or without your camera you never cease to amaze me. I had seen some of your Wachovia Center drawings, but this combo is more than impressive. I can't wait until the proposed new tallest becomes reality; it will send you back to the drawing board, but it will be worth the effort :)

• 7 months later...

So looking at the pictures of the convention center and hotel superimposed on the skyline, and the building of the Quorum center, and possibly new "tallest", what do you think will become the new "signature" skyline photo of Raleigh?

We all know that its now the South Saunders view, but I think with the new projects it will have to change...do you think view coming down Hillsborough street would be good? Or maybe one from the Glenwood South area?

Thoughts, ideas?

So looking at the pictures of the convention center and hotel superimposed on the skyline, and the building of the Quorum center, and possibly new "tallest", what do you think will become the new "signature" skyline photo of Raleigh? 

We all know that its now the South Saunders view, but I think with the new projects it will have to change...do you think view coming down Hillsborough street would be good?  Or maybe one from the Glenwood South area?

Thoughts, ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably the northeast side of downtown. Next time you're on the Beltline on a clear night, take a look towards downtown as you cross the Wake Forest Rd bridge. Now imagine a vantage point closer and with all the new towers completed. I think it would look pretty damn sweet :D

That's a good question, but I think the view would be still from S. Saunders. It will dramatically shift it though. One shot I always like is WRAL's webcam of the skyline from their tower. If you imagine a new tallest by where the Clarion is, it will spread things out a good deal. It almost could take on one of those Atlanta-style spreads as more materializes over the years.

Probably the northeast side of downtown. Next time you're on the Beltline on a clear night, take a look towards downtown as you cross the Wake Forest Rd bridge. Now imagine a vantage point closer and with all the new towers completed. I think it would look pretty damn sweet :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good idea, that would be sweet! But would you be able to see the convention center?

Love that night shot!

Unfortunately from this angle the skyline will really seem off balance, it'd be great to see some infill between Archdale and Wachovia .

The awesome thing about that angle is that it completely throws my perception off; you can't tell that BB&T, Wachovia and Archdale are lined up North/South.

P.S. its cool that the dome of the capitol just peeks through in front of Wachovia.

It's interesting how the heavy use of telephoto diminishes the apperance of depth in these photographs. In that picture it looks like the BB&T and the Wachovia are right next to each other, while the Clarion is way off to the side. I guess it can fool you into thinking that the skyline is a lot denser than it already is!

It's not really a "signature skyline" but If the Reynolds project goes off as planned, Dawson St. will become a very impressive corridor. There's also a huge parking lot diagonally across from Nash Square lot at Hargett and Dawson, right between Park Devereux and the Dawson on Morgan. I can't help but think that it looks ripe for redevelopment, so I predict that something will happen there soon after the Reynolds plan is made public. I'd love to see a couple 8-12 story buildings go in there (it really is a huge lot) but we'll just have to wait and see.

There's also a huge parking lot diagonally across from Nash Square lot at Hargett and Dawson, right between Park Devereux and the Dawson on Morgan. I can't help but think that it looks ripe for redevelopment, so I predict that something will happen there soon after the Reynolds plan is made public. I'd love to see a couple 8-12 story buildings go in there (it really is a huge lot) but we'll just have to wait and see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I've noticed that lot, and it's BIG. I would have to imagine that once the Dawson fills up, I'd bet it would be an appropriate site for a mixed use mid-rise or two just as you have pointed out. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Hey flash,

How were you able to get the design of the un-built First Citizens tower? Your renderings are gorgeous! Do you believe that lot will ever see a new tower?

What will it take to see a high-rise building boom similar to Charlotte's?

Edited 6/2/05 - orulz. Switched Topic Title and Topic Description

If you want to address a message to just one person sending a private message would be the best way to do that. If you want to address the entire forum then maybe you should pick a different title? At any rate.

Regarding that location, it's obvious that something will eventually be built there, since it's the only lot still open on Fayetteville St. If I remember the story correctly, there used to be a 10ish story building there, but First Citizens tore that down with the intention of building their tower. Unfortunately the demolition happened but construction never got underway.

It seems that recently FCB again came to a point where they needed more space, but rather than building downtown they decided to invest in a smaller tower, a few buildings, and a couple pieces of land in the North Hills area. That's why I don't think that FCB will be the one to finally build in the lot on Fayetteville St.

At any rate, Those renderings are pretty incredible. That was supposedly more than 10 years ago, though, so even if FCB were to decide to build there, that design has almost certainly been thrown away.

If you want to address a message to just one person sending a private message would be the best way to do that. If you want to address the entire forum then maybe you should pick a different title? At any rate.

Regarding that location, it's obvious that something will eventually be built there, since it's the only lot still open on Fayetteville St. If I remember the story correctly, there used to be a 10ish story building there, but First Citizens tore that down with the intention of building their tower. Unfortunately the demolition happened but construction never got underway.

It seems that recently FCB again came to a point where they needed more space, but rather than building downtown they decided to invest in a smaller tower, a few buildings, and a couple pieces of land in the North Hills area. That's why I don't think that FCB will be the one to finally build in the lot on Fayetteville St.

At any rate, Those renderings are pretty incredible. That was supposedly more than 10 years ago, though, so even if FCB were to decide to build there, that design has almost certainly been thrown away.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

orulz, my creative juices weren't flowing tonight. Sorry 'bout the thread title.

Anyway, it's my understanding that FCB sold the property to Progress Energy. Progress is, in turn, marketing the site to corporations who WILL build a tower on the property. Have you or anyone else heard of this?

I know that around the time that Two Progress Plaza was announced, Progress was looking for someone to occupy a "matching" 12 story tower. There was some noise that RBC Centura was going to move their operations to Raleigh and perhaps use the space, but now we know that never happened.

I know that around the time that Two Progress Plaza was announced, Progress was looking for someone to occupy a "matching" 12 story tower. There was some noise that RBC Centura was going to move their operations to Raleigh and perhaps use the space, but now we know that never happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I understood at that time, this 12-story tower was going to be built on land across Davie street from Progress II. They were going to tear down the BBQ joint and its neighbors.

As for RBC, I believe that there is still talk of a move to Raleigh, but not as intense as it once was. If someone could shed some light on any of these projects, I'd appreciate it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a picture of the building First Citizens imploded to make way for the tower they were going to build. For a while, it looked like three thirty story buildings would be going up at the same time in Raleigh.

44261906.firstcitizens.jpg

Shame isn't it. :(

Also I have to agree, with the amount of money and with as much land as First Citizens has in their North Hills location(not to mention all the promise the area with the redevelopment of North Hills plus the other land John Kane has optioned in the area) it does not appear likely that they will move back Downtown.

From what I understood at that time, this 12-story tower was going to be built on land across Davie street from Progress II.  They were going to tear down the BBQ joint and its neighbors.

As for RBC, I believe that there is still talk of a move to Raleigh, but not as intense as it once was.  If someone could shed some light on any of these projects, I'd appreciate it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the building you are talking about would have been built across Wilmington St. from Progress 2. That is, just north of the CP&L Buil...err the Progress 1 building. This was the building there was talk of putting a downtown library in, right?

Also I recently talked to an employee of RCB Centura that was moving back to Canada. She said to forget any relocation to Raleigh. Now, I did not know this woman, so take it for what it's worth.

Raleighmark: awesome find on that picture, its cool to see 333 corporate with a BB&T logo atop of it.

It really is ashame that builiding was razed and nothing resulted, but hopefully something worthy will be built there. Is it just me or does that building look almost exactly the same as another building on Hargett?

What's your prediction? Will Raleigh ever see a boom similar to the one Charlotte has experienced over the last decade? I certainly hope so.

Currently, the Quorum (15 stories), Marriott (16 stories), and Reynolds (32-37 stories) are the only active proposals I am aware of. What will it take for Raleigh to build up?

What's your prediction?  Will Raleigh ever see a boom similar to the one Charlotte has experienced over the last decade?  I certainly hope so.

Currently, the Quorum (15 stories), Marriott (16 stories), and Reynolds (32-37 stories) are the only active proposals I am aware of.  What will it take for Raleigh to build up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there will ever be a boom here like in Charlotte(if u want to really call what is happening in charlotte a boom, notice how only one building is actually being built, the others are probably just talk, once there are cranes up in Charlotte then I would call it a boom)

Raleigh is growing really fast right now. This is not going to happen forever. The skyscraper boom for Ralegh should have started 10 years ago. There for I think it will never happen. We might get 1 tower over 20 stories every 10 years. Thats my guess.

What's your prediction?  Will Raleigh ever see a boom similar to the one Charlotte has experienced over the last decade?  I certainly hope so.

Currently, the Quorum (15 stories), Marriott (16 stories), and Reynolds (32-37 stories) are the only active proposals I am aware of.  What will it take for Raleigh to build up?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Until recently, the city of Raleigh hasn't really contributed to its own success. Believe it or not, there are actually morons out there that think that the Reynolds building is "too tall" for our skyline. The best thing for Raleigh is for more housing DT. Housing draws people DT which draws more businesses, and desire for DT to grow. I figure its only a matter of time until RBC Centura moves their HQ from Rocky Mount to Raleigh, unless they merge with another bank and move somewhere else.

I think it will be difficult. Skyscrapers are built, most of the time, when it makes economic sense. i.e. can the space be rented to cover the large cost of building it.

Raleigh's two biggest problems in this area is the state government, and RTP. Government is constantly under political pressure to keep costs down so don't expect many skyscrapers from this employment base even though they employ 25K or so in the area.

RTP is a special tax zone that competes with downtown for office space. The tax advantages are so great in RTP that almost no business is going to choose to build a skyscraper in the downtown over putting up a campus in RTP. While this is great for the overall economy of the area, the idea of RTP had a big downside as it caused the downtowns to suffer.

Archived