The skyline thread

Flash

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what does everyone think of Raleigh's new "crown"?

Though I still dislike most everything about this tower, its massing, curtainwall, etc., the spire has given Raleigh a completely new countenance, and it's so unusual that I kinda like it. Its shape makes me think of Baltimore, and perhaps Pittsburgh? (I've only seen pictures of Pittsburgh)

At least it's distinctive, and from now on people all over the world will begin to associate that steeply-angled shape with Raleigh.

It says "Mid-Atlantic" rather than "Southeast". Anyone else agree?

During the day, it's kinda "meh" but it is neat at night, since it is more like a wireframe than a "solid" pyramid. It will be interesting to see what the RBC logo looks like when the glass is installed behind it.

*edit* It does look like it would be more at home in Norfolk or Richmond than in Raleigh, or even Charlotte. And not "over the top" enough for a new addition to the Atlanta skyline.

The L is coming along, though I don't know if it will be visible in the McDowell/Dawson/South Saunders money shot.

Coming down the southbound Capitol to Peace Street offramp last night, West at North dominates the view. Quorum is taller (topography helps) but since it is wider east/west vs. most building's north/south alignment, it draws attention. 222 seems smaller from that vantage point.

Watching Powerhouse Plaza rise above it and "step up" to Quorum will be neat.

During the day, it's kinda "meh" but it is neat at night, since it is more like a wireframe than a "solid" pyramid. It will be interesting to see what the RBC logo looks like when the glass is installed behind it.

*edit* It does look like it would be more at home in Norfolk or Richmond than in Raleigh, or even Charlotte. And not "over the top" enough for a new addition to the Atlanta skyline.

The L is coming along, though I don't know if it will be visible in the McDowell/Dawson/South Saunders money shot.

Coming down the southbound Capitol to Peace Street offramp last night, West at North dominates the view. Quorum is taller (topography helps) but since it is wider east/west vs. most building's north/south alignment, it draws attention. 222 seems smaller from that vantage point.

Watching Powerhouse Plaza rise above it and "step up" to Quorum will be neat.

Raleigh's "main street"...Fayetteville Street looks more urban with the new RBC Plaza on the left.

Just curious why Fayetteville Street doesn't have a center line down the middle. This is the only main downtown street in the nation that I know of that doesn't have a center line painted on the street and it's 2-way traffic as can be seen here in the Flickr photo.

2598217351_2abd5eba88_o.jpg

yeah, ive wondered that too! i feel uneasy on streets without center lines, its just weird.

the lighted cap on top of RBC center is awesome. i saw it for the first time coming down atlantic and it just kept poking in and out of the trees. it looked really cool. i am glad i wasnt driving at the time, i have a bad habit of looking at buildings more than the road....

I think not having the centerline serves as sort of a traffic calming measure and to create a multi-modal feel to the streescape. The logic is that car drivers tend to slow down when their travel way is less defined and they are sharing it with pedestrians, bicyclists, rickshaws, parked cars, etc.

I could be all wrong about this though, when in reality the city just forgot the line or ran out of money :huh:

I think not having the centerline serves as sort of a traffic calming measure and to create a multi-modal feel to the streescape. The logic is that car drivers tend to slow down when their travel way is less defined and they are sharing it with pedestrians, bicyclists, rickshaws, parked cars, etc.

Sorry this is the opposite of the skyline, but it follows the F Street no paint topic.

I was walking my dog on Saturday afternoon and a pack of bicyclists came speeding up F Street through the set of sidewalk tables in front of Big Easy and almost ran her (and me) over. I was like "it is a shame the city spent $10 million to rebuild the street if you're going to do that" but the rest just followed suit. I had to pick her up after the second or third one since I was being so rude by walking on the sidewalk.

There were a good number of people downtown from Marbles to F Street, which was good to see. The sidewalks are half finshed/half gaps around the convention center as well.

The CC hotel now has a "Marriot" sign on both sides near the roof, and a smaller sign near Lenoir Street. And a tower crane was being installed for the Charter Square parking deck, so there are now three in downtown -- this one plus RBC (coming down soon) and the L. I think the West at North crane is down or will be soon as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wachovia has jumped into the "name on the top of their building" game in the last week or so, after the recently posted pics in this thread.

With RBC's logo lighting up soon, there is now a Wachovia across the south side of its building on the 100 block of F STreet, visible from the South Saunders (and Person Street) approach. This joins the larger BB&T, Bank of America, and Capitol Bank along Fayetville Street. The east face is still empty, and I haven't gone out of my way to check the north or west faces yet.

Just to be clear, take exit 297 on Interstate 440 (South Saunders Street) and be sure you are heading north towards downtown. After you pass Maywood Avenue(traffic light), you are about a quarter mile from a popular spot to pull off (median or shoulder)...just see the pics above. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

The RBC crown really stands out in Raleigh's skyline. I live up in the Quail Hollow area next to North Hills and from the top of my street, I could see the crown. Then coming back from Crossroads in Cary the crown was visible from 440. Also, my parents work near Cameron Village, so on our commute back to our home we use Lassiter Mill Rd. North Hills is looking awesome heading on Lassiter towards the 440 bridge and Six Forks. Our hilly landscape really creates multiple sightings of our different skylines.

• 4 weeks later...

not much activity here lately so here are a few from durham during warmer days. apologies if these are repeats from previous threads. clearly these are old judging by the state of the DAP and the Diamond View Project. I'll try to get out if we get a warm weekend day on the bike and get some newer shots with the DPAC and even the new DAP included.

durham.jpg

dap.jpg

skyline.jpg

atc7.jpg

downtown6.jpg

100_1113.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived