The skyline thread

Flash

I always enjoy and appreciate your renderings. Do you use photoshop for these and are you a professional graphics kind of guy?

Bwah ha!! No. I'm using Fireworks, which is/was Macromedia's answer. I'm just a dentist. I still have a lot of work to do on my Site 1 rendering. It looks really out of whack. I'm going to have to divide it into more sections so I can control the skew more. Any ideas, Flash??? (He's the real expert around the parts, as far as I'm concerned).

By "your site 1" you mean the Davie St. location. (I should have labeled these A, B, and C for clarity's sake). There is an empty lot on the McDowell side and a half -empty lot on the Salisbury side. The other part on Salisbury is the old location of WPTF and WQDR. They could tear that down and have a KEY location, IMHO.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going east on Hillsborough and cutting into Glenwood would be a good money shot, but it wouldn't show Site 1.

Most of the buildings in the Quorum shot will be blocked by Reynolds 1, when it's built.

The best shot would be a northwestern facting one from east lenoir or east caberrus, because then you'd see Site 1 and Progress Energy 2 in the same shot. Reynolds 1 would fill the gap between RBC and Wachovia in that picture, as well.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=ra...027122&t=h&om=1

See how even the space between the lines is? Everything lines up, and all the tallest buildings are visible.

Most of the buildings in the Quorum shot will be blocked by Reynolds 1, when it's built.

If it's built.

I hate to rain on your parade, but...

ral_with_mt_2.jpg

I wonder if the new RBC HQ design could look anything like your Signature Tower-like building... After all, isn't the new design suppose to be less like a box, taller, with better balconies and a spire?

If it's built.

I hate to rain on your parade, but...

I wonder if the new RBC HQ design could look anything like your Signature Tower-like building... After all, isn't the new design suppose to be less like a box, taller, with better balconies and a spire?

Reynolds 1 will get built. If worst comes to worst, the second tower will be eliminated entirely, and the first will be shorter.

I'm not a big fan of Nashville's Signature Tower design. I would prefer something like Charlotte's Hearst. Save the big spire for something over 50 floors.

I personally prefer the view of downtown coming towards the beltline down Wake Forest Road, although you just see the taller buildings the overall layout in my opinion is better the "money shot"

Thats a great shot...I also like it by Tower shopping center coming down 64

I'd say the farthest I have noticed the skyline is at the Fairgrounds, near the intersection of Hillsborough Street and Blue Ridge Road. I'm sure there are hills around the area where one could see downtown from a decent distance though.

Same here. From the Fairgrounds I can see the tip of Two Hannover pretty clearly.

How far has anyone seen Raleigh's skline. I have seen it at night off US 1 coming south right before you get to the 98 bypass off to the right betwen the trees where the powerlines have cleared through. Pretty cool. That has to be about 30miles :D

I've seen it from here too. Here next to the Home Depot. I believe I've seen it at night with the green lights but not positive. Either way this has got to be one of the farthest if not the farthest spot you can see it from. I really wish you could see the skyline from the airport. I'd love to have the skyline be in the background of all my pictures on runway 23L/5R, like many pictures taken from CLT.

How far has anyone seen Raleigh's skline. I have seen it at night off US 1 coming south right before you get to the 98 bypass off to the right betwen the trees where the powerlines have cleared through. Pretty cool. That has to be about 30miles :D

If one is to fly a private plane taking off from JNX (Johnston County airport) he would be able to see the downtown skyline as soon as the aircraft cleared the treeline. The first time I noticed this, I was quite impressed.

Also, there is a nice view from the Smithfield's Chicken & BBQ/Bojangles parking lots on Jones Sausage Road.

On a bit of a side note, does anyone notice that the closest view of downtown (driving along I-40 near S. Saunders) is most unimpressive. Wouldn't it be nice if the skyline were multi-dimensional. Perhaps there could be another axis of towers along Hargett St. running parallel to the free way.

Broughton shot is great, it looks real "meaty" I've also always have been partial to the Dorothea Dix/Lake Wheeler shot too. I think it has to do with the significant elevation change. It really tightens up the city and makes the buildings look dense.

I think one spot that kinda jumps out at you is about a mile from the 40/440 interchange from the south. I like to explain it this way. You know you are entering a city but leading up to the flyover a person would wonder if Raleigh was a small city. However when you turn the corner on 440 and clear the trees BAM there is downtown. And your like where did that come from. With all the new stuff being built downtown the BAM factor will increase dramatically. Mind you I haven't been home in about 2 years and I don't know if those trees blocking you view are still there but it something I look forward to when I am going to the airport.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I used to see University tower from 40 quite a ways off. I don't really remember. I think it was after 40/85 and up that steep hill on 40. There was a brief spot where between the hill and the trees you could see for a about 3 seconds. I used to try and spot it on my way to college in Greensboro. Also if you were not driving you could barely make out downtown Durham. But is was like a second or two.

Archived