The skyline thread

Flash

There's a new article on the front of today's News & Observer, that talks mostly about the future of Raleigh's skyline and how it reflects upon the city. There's some mention of increased street activity and livability, but the emphasis is on the skyline, so skyscraper fans rejoice!

See the article here:

Things are looking up for Raleigh

It also includes quotes from RaleighNC and Flash, and most of all, the full-color picture front-and-center on the newspaper is a graphic based on a rendering done by Flash! Way to go, Flash! RaleighNC's website RaleghMSA, and Flash's, RaleighSkyline, get props (Congrats, guys!) but unfortunately none for UrbanPlanet :rolleyes: . They'll take notice of us yet, though!

20070430_skyline.jpg

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks orulz. Believe it or not I did tell Mr. Eisley to visit the Triangle section of urbanplanet.org for some first rate discussion. He took note of it. But out of the 35 minutes I talked to him you can how little trickles into the written article.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to create a skyline of Raleigh with a 40ish story tower located at Block Bs site. I know Flash does amazing work in this field but anyone who could help thanks. I just wanted to visualize what Raleigh would look like, now that there is a rumor that a 40 or above tower may be going up at that site. Thanks again!

Just a note....if its mostly or all residential the floors are shorter and would not be much taller than BB&T or Wachovia and RBC, with its crown, would likely still be taller...thats what I am thinking anyway. Having that in mind, from the money shot , with it being farther back it would be about the same height in the picture as BB&T and Wachovia and just to the right of RBC depending on where on the block in ends...could be slightly obscured by RBC if its right at the Martin/Wilmington corner.

The rendering also has the Marriott almost flush with BB&T/Two Hannover. But it didn't take the "Cabarrus Street"

access to the pickup/dropoff area, and the tower itself starts a little further south, with a 1-2 story lobby area in the F Street/Cabarrus/Salisbury part of the "block".

That opens the view to Progress 1 and blocks a lot of BoA out. Also, the Lafayette has not started. It might block out some of the Marriott, and will be taller than the rendering if built as planned. I am not sure if the Lafayette will block some of BoA too. But Site 1 will block a lot of the south face of BoA, which is all the Mariott leaves visible other than the white part on top. Site 1 will be quite visible in this view, at least until sites 2 and 3 are developed.

there used to be an even more impressive view on lake wheeler road, because at night the skyline was visible all at once sandwiched trees on the left and right. this vista has been ruined however, by some complex at the crest of the hill that put up bright lights along lake wheeler road.

for all you height fans, dubai's new 2,200+ foot tower, though unfinished, is now officially the world's tallest

burjdubai.jpg

Archived