Hartford 10th in percentage of Gay population

MadVlad

According to a Hartford Courant, Hartford ranks 10th of the top 50 Metro areas in the country in percentage gay population. We trail San Fran, Seattle/Tacoma, Boston, Portland Ore., Tampa/St Pete, Austin, Denver, Minn/St Paul, and Orlando. Now, it also states that it is 10th in people calling themselves gay, while ranking 14th in total gay percentage, so I guess we are in the top 10 for out-of-the-closet GLB citizens. I think this is great, people should be who they are and not hide what is reality.

Story

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i know several gays from both RI and CT and none of them go to hartford to hang out (and they'll travel for a good gay club/bar). new haven has a really hopping gay scene. does hartford's metro include northampton? that could explain the high number. there's a huge gay scene there.

it's too bad the courant article doesn't show the rankings or at least the top 10.

In the paper, it shows the top ten, I listed them in order. Hartford's metro doesn't include Springfield, never mind Northampton, so it isn't why we are so high. Also, as an aside, why are there suddenly posts on how horrible Hartford's gay club scene is? These threads are not put here for you to compare Hartford to New Haven, Runaway. Maybe people just love the area, I know this may be a shock to you guys, but not everyone loves Providence and New Haven.....

Hartford has at least two gay clubs, the Polo Club and Chez Est in the South End, that are doing all right from what I hear. I believe there are others that are unofficial or semi-official gay (and lesbian) hangouts, like Tisane, and many bars/restaurants with a mixed crowd - I went to the Elbow Room in West Hartford on a recent weekday night and it seemed like half the people there were (likely) gay. I think it'd be surprising, for an area like the Hartford region, if the gay club scene were even more visible.

Actually MadVlad is incorrect. Hartford metro does include Springfield and Northampton. In fact metro Hartford has a radius of 50 miles which covers up north to Northampton, and down south to New Haven. So whatever gay scene are in New Haven and Northamton, they are actually part of Hartford. Summing everything together, metro Hartford's art, culture and night life, gay or otherwise is really far superior than that of Providence. Unless of course because Providence is within the same 50 mile radius of Boston, you choose to think Providence is really part of metro Boston, or suburb of Boston if you will.

One way or another, we have more rutabaga :P

actually, metro areas are done by county. madvlad is correct, hartford does not include springfield or new haven. it includes the following counties: hartford, litchfield, tolland, windham, new london, and middlesex.

as such, providence is not part of metro boston, as boston's MSA consists of norfolk, plymouth, suffolk, middlesex, and essex counties in MA and rockingham and strafford counties in NH. providence's MSA includes all of RI plus bristol county in MA.

actually, metro areas are done by county. madvlad is correct, hartford does not include springfield or new haven. it includes the following counties: hartford, litchfield, tolland, windham, new london, and middlesex.

as such, providence is not part of metro boston, as boston's MSA consists of norfolk, plymouth, suffolk, middlesex, and essex counties in MA and rockingham and strafford counties in NH. providence's MSA includes all of RI plus bristol county in MA.

To me this shows that, surprise general public, there are gay people out there who don't go clubbing every weekend! There are actually places where gay clubs aren't prevalent, yet lot's of gay people reside there (i.e. Boston, Hartford, etc.)! Too many people associate being gay with going to gay dance clubs every weekend so it's nice to see cities where being gay is more accepted and the need for gay bars and clubs is not as necessary.

i don't know why i bother responding to the attacks, but there is an explanation for that... which is the confusing setup of metro areas in new england. some places say hartford-new haven, some say hartford-springfield, some say hartford separate from new haven separate from springfield.

it really depends on what area any particular study used. if they used specifically the hartford metro, no they're not the same.

then there's the MSA/CSA difference, in which hartford is combined with springfield.

and no, i didn't actually know because i never cared to look it up.

I still think that a gay bar downtown would do great business! Polo and Chez both do well but the crowd is more urban and people I have talked to don't like heading to the South End as they find it, "unsafe" even though it isn't. Tisane gets so crowded on Tuesday night that the place becomes a fire hazard. There is no doubt in my mind that downtown could easily support a gay club. Anyone want to invest some money?

I still think that a gay bar downtown would do great business! Polo and Chez both do well but the crowd is more urban and people I have talked to don't like heading to the South End as they find it, "unsafe" even though it isn't. Tisane gets so crowded on Tuesday night that the place becomes a fire hazard. There is no doubt in my mind that downtown could easily support a gay club. Anyone want to invest some money?

Archived