Lake Norman Urbanization and Projects

rjp212

Has this project started construction? It is now to see more downtowns around Charlotte getting more attention.
Yes. It appears a number of the tenants are companies that do business with the Lowes HQ down the road from there.

Now if only they could get the rail line to come to Mooresville as this project would be along the North Line.

There is an interesting note about that. There was never a station planned near this development. When it appeared that Mooresville/Iredell were going to pull out of the CR project, the idea was floated by some of the business leaders there of putting one station at this development. They were seeing what real estate values were doing on the South LRT and wanted the same to happen in DT Mooresville. Of course none of it panned out.

^The link you posted said work was to begin in 2Q 07. I've notice there has already been significant work on the old mill to convert it to office condos. I presumed this was part of said project?

On the transit station you are correct. 1 mile is really too far away to be much use to this project. That is why they were suggesting to move the station to this project.

Yeah some brave souls might trek the mile but what the project would spur would be numerous infill projects between the station and it. The factory was originally bought and was going to be redeveloped by another company back in 2001 but that project failed and what you see now is their attempts. Cherokee is still waiting on some money from the government for historical preservation purposes I believe. They do hope to start construction sometime next year.

If Freightliner had decided to move here that would've meant two large corporations located near or along the North Line (Lowe's being the other one).

Edited by rjp212

Yes. It appears a number of the tenants are companies that do business with the Lowes HQ down the road from there.

Lowe's being the behemoth that it is requires all vendors to have a presence near it's corporate HQ. When I worked as a Vendor for them we had to open an office in North Wilksboro. It was a room with a fax machine and a phone line. We never physically used it once. They wield their weight like Wal-Mart.

• 3 weeks later...

It appears the developer is proposing that a complicated financing proposal for a $56M expansion of I-77 from exit 23 to exit 28 take place in order for this project to proceed. Complicated usually means tax payers which is the case for this project. Assuming it takes place then the timing of VoLN will be something like start construction in 2009 and it will take 30 months to complete.

Well, the widening of 77 is inevitable anyway. If the taxes of this project offset the price of widening that span, even over the long haul, I say that is a worthwhile investment.

I know someone on the advertising team and Saks is coming... and as far as High End Target.... i think a Target is a Target is a Target...

I have to disagree. I have been in Targets that left a bad taste in my mouth, but at the same time, I've been in Targets that really impressed me. They seem to almost have three or four different "classes" of stores. I've noticed this of a lot of retail chains. Even newer stores seem to have different design concepts and demographic targets. Actually, while not in America, the Target that was in a development near where I lived outside Sydney parred with a Macys or Belk. I couldn't believe it the first time I walked in. It looked and felt like a department store but still had the conventional toy and sports departments tucked back in the back. I still have some shoes I bought from there. I believe a Target on this level would be very welcome in this new village.

Edited by aussie luke

• 1 month later...

Is this the same proposal that was posted by Monsoon and you on posts 108 and 119 back in November/December or has something changed?

Originally they had planned on only adding one lane in each direction but they are now proposing to add 2 lanes in each direction.

And talk about a weird hour glass...its gonna be 2 lanes from 23 to 25, 4 lanes from 25 to 28, 2 lanes from 28 to 32, 3 lanes from 32 to 33 then back to 2 lanes.

Edited by rjp212

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Old news, but wasn't able to find a topic to discuss this project. For those that don't know, Mooresville approved this 800 million dollar mixed use project last year and construction has begun. It will be located on the shores of Lake Norman adjacent to the new Exit 32 (also under construction). So far Ruth Chris's Steakhouse and Embassy Suites (Phase 2) are the only confirmed tenants. Their website was recently updated and new renderings for Phase 1 were posted.

langtreeaerialscan1.jpg

langtreehotelscan1.jpg

langtreestreetscan1.jpg

streetawestelev.jpg

villagecenternorthelev.jpg

While I still hate the large amount of surface parking lots, I am loving the water features.

Langtree at the Lake

Edited by rjp212

Work was suppose to start in 2007 on this project but still nothing has happened. The developers held a meeting last night to discuss the hold up and they said they have had trouble securing tax breaks and grants to move forward. They have one more chance with the National Park Service. If they turn them down then it will be another 2 years before they can reapply. They've also had some trouble landing tenants as Freightliner was at one point suppose to move their headquarters to this locality.

Heres to hoping this project gets approved and can move forward. This project would be a huge benefit to Downtown Mooresville.

• 3 weeks later...