Lake Norman Urbanization and Projects

rjp212

Phase 2 is about to begin construction which will include some Medical offices, retail and a parking garage.  Phase 3, expected to start at year's end, will include the 12-story DoubleTree Hotel and Convention Center, the 50,000 sf SwimMAC Aquatic Center, Flix Brewhouse (Movie Theater/Brewery), other retail and some condos.   They expect full build out of the 60 acres in 5 years.

http://davidsonnews.net/realestate/2014/07/23/langtree-embraces-its-lakefront-next-phase-on-the-way/

131031_LANGTREE%20SITE%20PLAN_FINAL_a408

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 2

I'm wondering if anyone has any inside information about the Bryton Huntersville development?  It's been about a year since Walmart was opened, and there hasn't been any further movement in that community - either commercial or residential.  Frankly, I'm really surprised that none of the outparcels have been built in front of Walmart since it clearly gets a lot of traffic.  And I'm disappointed that the residential area hasn't changed in many, many months.  

My big question is, with the failure of the Red Line to happen, has this practically killed this development?  It was really advertising that aspect and built around the railroad tracks.  Will it just not happen at all now, or will it just take longer?  Thanks for anyone who has more info.

This is the first time I've started a topic, so if this needs to be put in the Coffeehouse section, I'm sorry.

There's some activity up there. The outparcels are going through approvals. Right now they have McDonalds, Chick-Fil-A, a gas station, Bojangles and a 6,800 SqFt shop building planned. They are also going through permitting on the first phase of the single family, which will be 198 lots on the north side of Hambright. 

• Like 1

Great!  I'm glad to see some movement.  I'm frankly not surprised about those restaurants and another gas station - seems a prime place for those and I'm sure they'll do really well.  I would really enjoy more local restaurants but know that this is kind of an empty area for the chains.

Thanks for the info!

:) I'm happy about the McDonalds (I like their salad). The one on Statesville & Gilead can get to be too much of a hassle sometimes and I commute past the Walmart. I can't stand the set up of Sam Furr & Statesville road. Especially when you go to the library and it sends you East bound on Sam Furr when I have to go west bound.....

• 3 months later...

A Hotel Company, Maya Hotels, has purchased 4 acres adjacent to the Langtree Complex.  4 Acres seems like a lot of land for just a hotel, imo.

http://www.statesville.com/news/hotel-group-buys-langtree-land-in-mooresville/article_2756aabe-5ae7-11e4-9abc-0017a43b2370.html

Also, just down the street, the Langtree Group is developing Alcove Commons. A mixed use development that currently includes Langtree Charter, proposed townhomes and some office/retail.  The building below is currently under construction and can be seen from I-77 as you approach Exit 33.

9f51d1ab5cd342fc8d87a44ebe957459.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know what they're building on the inbound road in Huntersville along Statesville between Gilead & Sam Furr near Stumptown road?

There is a brown sign that says Choate.

Glad you asked. I've been meaning to but hadn't remembered to. I have no idea what it is, but I'm curious.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
36 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

We're getting a new public beach in Mecklenburg (is it the first?):
New Public Beach on Lake Norman to Open Memorial Day Weekend

No, it's not. In fact, Ramsey Creek (beach you mention) had a very nice one several years ago just to the right (looking outwards). It was in the cove and had minimal washing of boat wakes and had a really gradual drop. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why they fenced that one up, and are putting one at the point. I launched my board at the ramp last month, and walked my gear up to the point where they're dumping all the new sand. You wouldn't believe the amount of sand that I had to trudge through that was already migrating down wind. What a huge waste of money and time.

I'm pretty sure my windsurfing friends and I will be kicked out of our access for this new swimming area. But as time rolls on, swimmers will too as they struggle with trying to keep a beach there.

In the 70's some swimming was permitted. Bikers took over and due to lack of policing things got out of hand. I can't say if there was ever a drowning, but by the late 80's you couldn't even put your big toe in the water from fear of lawsuits. This was my original reason for taking up windsurfing.....in order to get out on the water and swim.

FWIW, Duke Power, in 1959-1960, declared there would be "hundreds of access points for the public to use on Lake Norman.