Lake Norman Urbanization and Projects

rjp212

There aren't any public beaches on Lake Norman? (Except this one?) - WTF?

I wonder how it came to be that Lake Norman is almost entirely surrounded by lakefront development, and very little public land, while Falls Lake and Jordan Lake here in the Triangle have no lakefront private development and heaps of public land and access. Was Lake Norman built first, by different agencies, under a different set of rules, or what?

3 minutes ago, orulz said:

I wonder how it came to be that Lake Norman is almost entirely surrounded by lakefront development, and very little public land, while Falls Lake and Jordan Lake here in the Triangle have no lakefront private development and heaps of public land and access. Was Lake Norman built first, by different agencies, under a different set of rules, or what?

It's pretty scandalous what Duke Power did (MY OPINION).  They sold the public on the recreational possibilities and of course electricity.  They created Crescent Resources to handle all the land deals. To my knowledge, they didn't evoke eminent domain, but they DID buy the land from farmers at values that were pretty low, knowing good and well what the future would bring. My family, and I believe another who posts on this board, knew of some of the board members of Duke at the time who wound up with rather large chunks of land along the shore. For years, Duke Power offered some sort of lottery for employees that would allow them to lease and buy lake lots from Crescent. And, to answer your question, I think there is a public beach up in Iredell called Lake Norman State Park were you can swim. That has been the only swimming spot for years.

I wish I still had that news article in which Duke guaranteed the public "hundreds" of access points.

10 minutes ago, orulz said:

Falls Lake wasn't built until the 80s and it was built to control flooding and is managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

Jordan Lake was also not completed until the 80s and was also built to control flooding.

Both were government projects.

Lake Norman was a private enterprise that created the lake for power generation. Duke Energy (I suppose Duke Power back in those days) bought up the land around what would become Lake Norman and then sold it after the lake basin was full. They originally told landowners they bought from that they'd have first rights to buy lake front property after it went on the market, but I've read that Duke didn't live up to their end of the bargain.

8 minutes ago, orulz said:

Lake rights of Lake Norman belong to Duke Energy. There are several boat launches and lakeside parks.  When there were beaches years ago, there were too many drownings and too many law suits against Duke Energy. That prompted them to disallow public beaches. However, there is another beach opening this summer in Cornelius. Unfortunately, these beaches often bring in too many families from the city that take over and trash the areas even when swimming hasn't been allowed. The carload rates for entry have gone down which will make things worse. Personally, I am glad that most of the lake is adjoined by private lots. It keeps it clean and beautiful. To answer you question concerning "building" Lake Norman, the area was flooded in 1963 to build the dam for the nuclear plant(s).  There is another plant south of the city at Lake Wylie. The Lake Norman area was probably like the areas you refer to in the triad vicinity before the 1990s when the property boom began.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, rancenc said:

Langtree seems to be a huge disappointment to most locals with whom I speak. It is very unattractive from I-77 and nothing creative has happened around the limited lake area. It does not have the yard appeal to draw people to the few venues offered there. I know a hotel is planned, but things are moving much slower than everyone anticipated. Basically, it is not what we expected and were excited about a few years ago. There's lots of room and open field space for improvement. I hope something happens in our lifetime. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Merinos is planning further renovations to the former Burlington Mills Factory in Downtown Mooresville.  Plans are up for rezoning to include a sports complex (indoor basketball court, youth boxing, indoor soccer field and fitness center) as well as a Burger Bar and possibility of a Brewery.  So far the Furniture Mart is up there and the Pizza Restaurant.

http://www.mooresvilletribune.com/news/merinos-owner-seeks-to-add-sports-complex/article_d5d65b04-5f25-11e6-9ed9-e3d71a91e946.html

Mooresville Mill.jpg

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...
8 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Aloft's website says there is one coming to Langtree. I don't think it has been mentioned on here.

Been mentioned on Charlotte Ring Cities.  Aloft and Tru hotels will be building two 6-story hotels across the street from the Langtree Complex.  

Edited by rjp212

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is a full fledged hospital to be built in Cornelius and Huntersville is just emergency room no overnight stays.

What I don't get is why they wouldn't just add on to the existing facility, though. There's a ton of space there. 

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

What I don't get is why they wouldn't just add on to the existing facility, though. There's a ton of space there. 

they probably have big plans over the years to come in that Cornelius site.  You know they play the long game.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tozmervo said:

If you have facilities in two different municipalities, that's two different sets of folks lobbying on your behalf that they 'need healthcare in their community.' Plus Huntersville has a hospital already, Cornelius doesn't. 

Sounds like one of my favorite places to get a chicken sandwich might be closing down soon (Tenders). While it's not quite as good as when it first opened, it's still a good sandwich and they have a bunch of different sauces to put on it. I guess I'll have to go to PDQ now to scratch that itch even if it's not quite the same.

3 minutes ago, CLTdev18 said:

Sounds like one of my favorite places to get a chicken sandwich might be closing down soon (Tenders). While it's not quite as good as when it first opened, it's still a good sandwich and they have a bunch of different sauces to put on it. I guess I'll have to go to PDQ now to scratch that itch even if it's not quite the same.

(Tenders is PDQ in disguise https://www.eatpdq.com/locations/cornelius-tenders)

Just now, Madison Parkitect said:

Seems like Tenders was the original local spot, then the PDQ founders bought that business and franchised it but kept the Tenders name on that first location.

That's correct.  Tenders was the concept restaurant for the PDQ chain. Joe Douglas started 131 Main, Tenders, and Cowboy (all right in the same area), then Tenders was franchised and turned into PDQ. Similar to what Frank Scibelli (Mama Ricotta's, Midwood Smokehouse, Paco's tacos, Bad Daddy's Burgers, etc) did with Bad Daddy's, except the name stayed the same.

20 minutes ago, CLTdev18 said:

Where did you see that it was closing? I'm pretty sure the Atrium land starts south of there, across from Pikes. (at least that is what shows up on the UP development map, not sure source)