17 members have voted

1. 1. Should our counties be bigger

• yes
    • no
    • More Study

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that was the original reasoning. I think they need to be combined too, but it will never happen. In fact, looking to our friends in Atlanta, they're wanting to split Fulton County up into two extra counties. They're reasoning is that Milton was a separate county before the depression. Well yeah, and Milton was so poor it almost went bankrupt so Fulton took it in---way to treat the county that saved you.

I feel the counties should be combined. It's better from an administrative point of view. It's also better when you consider that federal dollars are based on populations and needs. Perhaps then the state would show more interest towards metro Atlanta than they do today.

^ No the leaders of this state consider it a good idea to utterly ignore Atlanta as though it's the plague---this works all over the other Georgia as well as in the suburbs of Atlanta, where people are anti-Atlanta as well. Atlanta doesn't get half the funding it deserves.

^ No the leaders of this state consider it a good idea to utterly ignore Atlanta as though it's the plague---this works all over the other Georgia as well as in the suburbs of Atlanta, where people are anti-Atlanta as well. Atlanta doesn't get half the funding it deserves.

No, I am not joking. I was quite serious when I typed what I did. I would not joke about such a matter. Although others may want to be insincere about the matter, you will not find me so.

Atlanta does not recieve ALL the attention...whatever that means. Metro Atlanta is home to over half the states population yet the state government refuses to spearhead a metrowide or statewide public transportation department. Look at the new people moving to the state every year. I would imagine that for every 10 people moving to the state, 8 will land in metro Atlanta and one in northern Georgia somewhere. A majority of the jobs created in Georgia will be created somewhere in metro Atlanta....yet when it comes to state aid, the formula is to divide the funds. I'm not advocating that the state neglect any other region of the state. Atlanta is and will remain the state capital and should be treated as such.

When at least four of metro Atlanta's core counties (Fulton, Gwinnett, DeKalb and Cobb) each have a higher population than the next largest metro (Augusta) in Georgia, then I think it is quite natural that metro Atlanta will recieve a little more attention than the rest. It does NOT however recieve ALL of the attention. The fact remains though that MARTA, the state's largest public transportation authority and one of the 10 largest in the country, does not recieve a dime from the state. Why will the state not offer a dime for the new Atlanta Symphony Hall? What about the Beltline?

I can go on and on. I'm not just talking about the city limits of Atlanta....the state neglects metro Atlanta as a whole....when considered in where a majority of the population lives. Is a road between east bumble and west bumble more important to the state than statewide commuter rail from Athens, Macon, Augusta, Columbus and Chattanooga? I would think not....yet more roads will be built and less alternatives to public transportation will be offered. Am I asking for every dime the state collect to find it's way to Atlanta? No, that's not a democracy. I do feel though that Georgia should understand that Atlanta is it's crown jewel. The Atlanta metro definitely deserves better treatment than it currently recieves from the state.

What is the question that I heard asked and answered by two visitors to the state years ago....

Question: What would Georgia be without Atlanta?

Answer: Mississippi.

No offense to the Mississippian forumers. I heard that once and thought it quite interesting coming from visitors to the state. I'm sure that Mississippi is a great state.

No, I am not joking. I was quite serious when I typed what I did. I would not joke about such a matter. Although others may want to be insincere about the matter, you will not find me so.

Atlanta does not recieve ALL the attention...whatever that means. Metro Atlanta is home to over half the states population yet the state government refuses to spearhead a metrowide or statewide public transportation department. Look at the new people moving to the state every year. I would imagine that for every 10 people moving to the state, 8 will land in metro Atlanta and one in northern Georgia somewhere. A majority of the jobs created in Georgia will be created somewhere in metro Atlanta....yet when it comes to state aid, the formula is to divide the funds. I'm not advocating that the state neglect any other region of the state. Atlanta is and will remain the state capital and should be treated as such.

When at least four of metro Atlanta's core counties (Fulton, Gwinnett, DeKalb and Cobb) each have a higher population than the next largest metro (Augusta) in Georgia, then I think it is quite natural that metro Atlanta will recieve a little more attention than the rest. It does NOT however recieve ALL of the attention. The fact remains though that MARTA, the state's largest public transportation authority and one of the 10 largest in the country, does not recieve a dime from the state. Why will the state not offer a dime for the new Atlanta Symphony Hall? What about the Beltline?

I can go on and on. I'm not just talking about the city limits of Atlanta....the state neglects metro Atlanta as a whole....when considered in where a majority of the population lives. Is a road between east bumble and west bumble more important to the state than statewide commuter rail from Athens, Macon, Augusta, Columbus and Chattanooga? I would think not....yet more roads will be built and less alternatives to public transportation will be offered. Am I asking for every dime the state collect to find it's way to Atlanta? No, that's not a democracy. I do feel though that Georgia should understand that Atlanta is it's crown jewel. The Atlanta metro definitely deserves better treatment than it currently recieves from the state.

What is the question that I heard asked and answered by two visitors to the state years ago....

Question: What would Georgia be without Atlanta?

Answer: Mississippi.

No offense to the Mississippian forumers. I heard that once and thought it quite interesting coming from visitors to the state. I'm sure that Mississippi is a great state.

^ Wouldn't that be nice!!! My girlfriend and I normally go to Atlanta half a dozen times a year---unfortunately I'm usually taking her younger cousins from Alpharetta around town, so we get to go to fun places like the mall and the movies. Wow, it's just like Augusta........

Archived