Greensboro's 2006 bonds

cityboi

If you live in Greensboro, will you vote for all these bonds or if you if you were a Greensboro resident would you vote for all this bonds? If not which bonds would you not support?

The Fire Station Bonds will provide funds for constructing, equipping, and furnishing additional fire stations, including the acquisition of firefighting apparatus and land acquisition, if needed. Five new stations are proposed: Willow Road, Reedy Fork Creek, Old Randleman Road, South-Elm Eugene Street, Near the intersection of Painter Boulevard, I-40 and I-85. This bond request is for $24,500,000.

The Economic Development Bonds will provide funds to support job creation, industrial park development, infrastructure, such as water, sewer, and street improvements, and land acquisition, if needed, for economic development projects. This bond request is for $10,000,000.

The Library Facilities Bonds will provide funds for constructing, equipping and furnishing new branch libraries and expanding an existing branch library, including land acquisition, if needed. This bond request is for $8,600,000.

The Greensboro Historical Museum Bonds will provide funds for renovating the Greensboro Historical Museum in order to provide additional exhibit space, including equipment and furnishings. This bond request is for $5,300,000.

The Public Building Renovation Bonds will provide funds for renovating and improving City Owned buildings, including constructing new roofs, installing new heating and cooling systems, and improving energy efficiency. This bond request is for $5,200,000.

The Parks and Recreational Facilities Bonds will provide funds for neighborhood parks and recreational facilities in Greensboro, including land acquisition, expansion of the trail system, and park enhancements. This bond request is for $5,000,000.

The Neighborhood Redevelopment Bonds will provide funds for acquiring and improving land, primarily in the Ole Asheboro neighborhood, to further the City's urban redevelopment program. This bond request is for $850,000.

The War Memorial Stadium Bonds will provide funds for renovating the Greensboro War Memorial Baseball Stadium, including locker rooms and restrooms. This bond request is for $5,500,000.

The Swimming Center Bonds will provide funds for constructing and equipping a facility for competitive, educational, and therapeutic swimming events, including land acquisition, if needed. (swim facility to be built at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex for major swimming tournaments) A 50-meter pool will be constructed for competitive, educational, and therapeutic swimming events.

The facility will include a diving well, warm-up/cool-down pool, and seating for 1,500.

The Swimming Center will be managed by the Greensboro Coliseum.

This bond request is for $9,000,000.

Renovation of War Memorial Auditorium at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex Bonds

will provide funds for renovating the Greensboro War Memorial Auditorium, including the lobby, seating areas, balconies, restrooms, and other structures, and improving handicapped access.

The bonds will provide funds for renovating Greensboro's War Memorial Auditorium. The Auditorium will be remodeled with a new grand lobby and offer patrons improved acoustics, seating, sight lines and restrooms. Handicapped access will be improved with ADA seating options, handicapped restrooms and a sound system for the hearing impaired.

The International Civil Rights Center & Museum Bonds will provide funds to complete the restoration of the national landmark site of the 1960 lunch counter sit-ins. Bond money will only be issued if the museum raises an additional $5 million in matching funds from external sources. This bond request is for $5,000,000.

here are renderings of the swim center that is proposed to be built at the Greensboro Coliseum. The goal is to make sure the Greensboro Colisuem maintains its competitive edge over othe arena complexes areound the state. The swim Center would obviously be used for ACC swim competitions. as well as these other uses

-Greensboro citizens – CSA City meet, GSA’s meets, other club’s meets

-High School meets – 16 local High School teams, 2 pools to use.

-College meets – Local colleges, ACC and NCAA.

-NC Swimming Meets – Summer long-course championships, winter short-course championships, Sectional meets and more.

-US Swimming Meets – Sectional, Grand Prix [e.g. Ultraswim], and National meets would be available for bid. Masters swimming.

mockup3_lg.jpg

mockup2_lg.jpg

mockup4_lg.jpg

mockup1_lg.jpg

here is a rendering of the renovated War Memorial Auditorium that is attached to the coliseum arena.

warmemorialaud1.jpg

Proposed New Memorial Hall (War Memorial Auditorium renovation)

Architecture – Classical lyric theater design with opera boxes and multiple balconies

Anticipated opening October 2009

Main orchestra level with parterre

First balcony

Second balcony

Third balcony

Port cochere covered passenger drop off

Redesigned front parking ingress traffic flow and

parking and increased number of handicap/van spaces

2 passenger elevators

Offset seating design for better sightlines

Reconstructed main floor seating rake for correct sightlines

2-Exterior patios for smokers

New HVAC system

New fire suppression system

New indoor box office to support the Auditorium and Odeon Theatre

Acoustical performance to be significantly improved for Greensboro Symphony with proposed acoustical rating (8 out of 10) based on opinion of Artec Consultants Inc

New interior and exterior finishes appropriate to the architecture

A signature exterior fa

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys sure have a lot of bond referendums on your ballot this Tuesday.

I like the architecture of the renovated auditorium. However, it would have been nice had this been detached from the Coliseum and built downtown. That way, downtown would have at least one major venue.

Cityboi, thanks so much for posting the information on the Greensboro bonds along with the nice pictures. It is important that everyone understands what these bonds are all about. All eleven bonds get my vote! I encourage everyone who supports and believes in the future of Greensboro to vote "YES" to ALL of these bonds. :thumbsup:

You guys sure have a lot of bond referendums on your ballot this Tuesday.

I like the architecture of the renovated auditorium. However, it would have been nice had this been detached from the Coliseum and built downtown. That way, downtown would have at least one major venue.

Hmmm... where are the school bonds? I like most of the items listed above, but GSO really needs more schools, and I'm wondering what the difference will be between the insured amount of Eastern Guilford and the rebuild costs, or is this different for public facilities?

I like the design of the Swim Center also. As a student at UNC-CH, I worked as a timer at the mens and womens championship swim meets when they were held at the natatorium adjacent to the Dean Dome. It's a much bigger event than I ever expected. It could potentially make Greensboro home of yet another ACC wide event!

I hope it does to but historically luxury bond items like the swim center have a hard time passing. Hopefully things will be different this time

As I watch the results of the Greesnboro bonds on the news this morning, I do so with a mix of happiness and sadness. The losses are "water under the bridge" at this point. Now is the time to move forward and see if there are other creative ways these defeated projects can be funded. Remember! Rome was not built in a day!

I was shocked at the condition of the Auditorium while seeing a show there a few years back. It reminded me of a slightly larger version of my high school auditorium.

Looks like Greensboro is going to have to get creative if they're going to move forward.

Personally I think Greensboro had too many bonds on the table. Each bond equals tax increases. The people seem to have choosen a few bonds that the city seems to need at this time (verses wants). The money has to come from somewhere and eventually no matter how much a city wants something because they think it is good-the people, the citizens that would be left paying for it thankfully get to decide if that bond is worth it in the long run.

Good to see my memory is still good. Story about the troubles at Sit In, Inc.

Story

This group has been going through the same issues since around 1994-12 years now. I don't know if this thing will ever get done which would be a shame. If the state had excess $$$ they could possibly take it over and make it a NC Museum but I doubt that will happen.

Archived