Residential Development next to Urban Transit

citiboi27610

I currently live in Miami, and I wondering what measures have to be taken to build a quality residential building next to an urband trasit system as such as the Miami Metrorail. The biggest problem is obviously the sound. Would a parking deck block enough of the sound? How viable of an option is it?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could have sound proofing to block the sound. Parking decks might do it. But if the demand is high enough, people will live there anyway. Transit is not going to be successful without a lot of residential nearby to use it. Charlotte's is not as good as it could be, but its a good start in the right direction.

A parking deck would likely produce more noise than the rail station!

A wall is ugly, impedes access, and did I mention is ugly?

The best measure to reduce noise for residents would be to install soundproof glass windows. A friend of mine lived in a dorm at Rutgers University, right next to a commuter rail station. With the soundproof windows we couldn't hear the trains (the whistles could be heard very softly though), or much from the traffic on the streets below.

Here's a pic of that RU dorm

NewBrunswickStationNJ.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Archived