Improving Life in Downtown Raleigh: What Services, Amenities, and Stores are Needed?

sgpine

Hello!

I am an NCSU Student working on an extended project creating a business proposal that involves developing new properties in downtown Raleigh.

I'm trying to gain a better understanding of the downtown market from several different sources, and one source I am addressing is surveying current and possible future residents of downtown Raleigh.

Below is a survey both for residents and for non-residents. Feel free to either post your responses to the message board, or to e-mail me. My e-mail address is [email protected].

Of course, if there are any questions you are not comfortable answering - by all means don't! :) I'll still be interested in your responses to the other questions.

Also, if you have any questions about my project, have any feedback, or just want to learn more - by all means shoot me an e-mail!

Thanks very much for any help!

Steve Pine

*My definition of downtown is generally East of Park Ave/Ashe Ave, South of Wade Ave/Glascock St, West of Raleigh Blvd, and North (or just South) of Western Blvd/Martin Luther King Blvd. *

For People Currently Living in Downtown Raleigh Only:

1) What Neighborhood do you currently live in? (Glenwood South, Oakwood, East Gateway, Commercial

Core, Boylan Heights, Warehouse District, etc)

2) How long have you been living in downtown Raleigh?

3) What are one or two or three main reasons you decided to move to downtown Raleigh?

4) Do you work downtown?

5) What are one or two or three things you would most like to see change about downtown?

6) What are one or two or three types of businesses you would most like to see open downtown?

7) Would having a grocery store, drug store, or other amenities within walking or biking distance be something that you would consider important to you?

8) How far would you be willing to walk to a grocery store? Bike?

9) If there was a grocery store in walking distance of you, would you rather it carry standard items, like a Harris Teeter or Lowes, or specialty items, like a Trader Joes or Whole Foods?

People NOT Living in Downtown Raleigh Only:

1) Giving the current state of downtown, how likely are you to move to downtown in the next two years?

2) What are the one or two or three things most keeping you from living downtown?

3) Would an increased selection of nearby business make you significantly more likely to move downtown? If so, which businesses would make you significantly more likely to move?

4) Do you work downtown?

5) What are one or two or three things you would most like to see change about downtown?

6) What are one or two or three types of businesses you would most like to see open downtown?

Demographic Questions

*Again, these are of course completely optional. They will help me better understand the market, but I understand that this is a public forum. Feel free to e-mail me if you wish to keep the information private. In my work, I will only disclose the results of the surveys. E-mail addresses, screen names, etc, will all be kept confidential*

1) What is your age?

2) What is your marital status?

3) How many children under the age of 18 live in your household?

4) How many dogs and cats do you own?

**PLEASE ONLY E-MAIL RESPONSES TO QUESTIONS 5 AND 6**

5) Is your household income more than $50,000 a year?

6) Could you afford a $300,000 condo? A $200,000 condo?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in downtown from '99-'03, then got "coupled" and needed more space, moved to Cameron Village/University Park area...hope to move back closer to downtown next year though, perhaps to Oakwood or Boylan or Brooklyn, etc....

1) Giving the current state of downtown, how likely are you to move to downtown in the next two years?

1) What Neighborhood do you currently live in? (Glenwood South, Oakwood, East Gateway, Commercial

Core, Boylan Heights, Warehouse District, etc)

Warehouse Distric

2) How long have you been living in downtown Raleigh?

8 years.

3) What are one or two or three main reasons you decided to move to downtown Raleigh?

I prefer a more urban environment, like to be close to dining, bars, etc.

4) Do you work downtown?

No.

More affordable housing, more retail.

Grocery (Capital Grocery is still not in walking distance from the city core).

7) Would having a grocery store, drug store, or other amenities within walking or biking distance be something that you would consider important to you?

Yes. See #6.

Walk: 6 or 7 blocks. Bike? 2 miles.

9) If there was a grocery store in walking distance of you, would you rather it carry standard items, like a Harris Teeter or Lowes, or specialty items, like a Trader Joes or Whole Foods?

Standard items.

2) What are the one or two or three things most keeping you from living downtown?

3) Would an increased selection of nearby business make you significantly more likely to move downtown? If so, which businesses would make you significantly more likely to move?

4) Do you work downtown?

Demographic Questions

*Again, these are of course completely optional. They will help me better understand the market, but I understand that this is a public forum. Feel free to e-mail me if you wish to keep the information private. In my work, I will only disclose the results of the surveys. E-mail addresses, screen names, etc, will all be kept confidential*

1) What is your age? 32

2) What is your marital status? married

3) How many children under the age of 18 live in your household? 0

4) How many dogs and cats do you own? 1 cat.

sqpine, you have not left an e-mail address so that people can send you their responses directly to you if they do not feel comfortable responding to your survey in public! I would recommend you do this (perhaps start a hotmail account just for this purpose or something)

- Going to move there next month, December 06.

- The only negative point i could think of was parking. Living in my building, there are no designated spots. But it does not trouble me to look for a spot on the streets or to park in a nearby deck.

- With downtown's recent growth, i expect new businesses to open up. Right now, there is sufficient businesses downtown to satisfy my needs. i really just expect things to liven up as time goes on and downtown grows.

4) Do you work downtown?

- No

- more "cheap eats" places and extended (esp. late night) hours for the ones currently there.

- Grocery in the downtown core. capital city grocery is good for driving up and getting groceries, but a smaller grocery in the building core would be very valuable.

- public art, gathering spaces, plazas, etc.

- movie theater, bowling alley, more nightly entertaiment options.

- "cheap eats" restaurants

- music venues, stores, etc.

Demographic Questions

1) What is your age?

2) What is your marital status?

- single

3) How many children under the age of 18 live in your household?

- none

4) How many dogs and cats do you own?

- none

1) What Neighborhood do you currently live in? Glenwood South

2) How long have you been living in downtown Raleigh? 2 years, 7 months

3) What are one or two or three main reasons you decided to move to downtown Raleigh? close to work/ entertainment/future TTA stop, walkability of area, long term real estate investment potential

4) Do you work downtown? yes

5) What are one or two or three things you would most like to see change about downtown? lots more residential (aptmts and condos) and lower cost options for middle class buyers, significantly improved transit options (TTA & CAT), true urban grocery or market, better architecture for new construction, historic preservation of existing (pre-WWII era) buildings, improved streetscaping (lighting, sidewalks, amenities)

6) What are one or two or three types of businesses you would most like to see open downtown? grocery/market, indy movie theater, book store

7) Would having a grocery store, drug store, or other amenities within walking or biking distance be something that you would consider important to you? yes

8) How far would you be willing to walk to a grocery store? Bike? walk up to 3/4 mi, bike up to 2 mi

9) If there was a grocery store in walking distance of you, would you rather it carry standard items, like a Harris Teeter or Lowes, or specialty items, like a Trader Joes or Whole Foods? specialty items--HT is already within about 1.5 mi from me, so if I need regular items I can get them there

sqpine, you have not left an e-mail address so that people can send you their responses directly to you if they do not feel comfortable responding to your survey in public! I would recommend you do this (perhaps start a hotmail account just for this purpose or something)

Can you say what class this is for? College of Management? Something else?

I have thought about going back to school for something like this, but don't know if there are any online options available from local universities in subjects like this.

Currently Living in Downtown Raleigh questions:

1) What Neighborhood do you currently live in? East Gateway, just north of the recent Martin-Haywood study area.

2) How long have you been living in downtown Raleigh? - 5 years in May 06.

- Bought a house targeted at lower/middle income families

-wanted to be within walking distance of Moore Square (City Market and bus terminal) and the rest of downtown.

4) Do you work downtown? - no, but would if i could.

- more residents, enabling a "round the clock city"

- grocery stores, shops, bars, cafes, restaurants, etc. in an urban setting.

- grocery store

- clothing store like H&M or Urban Outfitters

- a "fast casual" eating option open days, nights and weekends -- Brass Grill, Panera, etc.

7) Would having a grocery store, drug store, or other amenities within walking or biking distance be something that you would consider important to you? -- umm, yeah.

distances given for one way -- Walk - 7-8 blocks. Bike - approx. 2 miles.

- want a "standard" store first, then "specialty" store as the market can support both.

Demographics:

1) What is your age? 33

2) What is your marital status? engaged to be married in 07

3) How many children under the age of 18 live in your household? 0

4) How many dogs and cats do you own? fiance owns one dog, I own no pets

Would respond to 5 and 6, but need to via email.

1) Giving the current state of downtown, how likely are you to move to downtown in the next two years? Me and my family would becasue i go to school there, and my mom works there, but at this point it is WAY too expensive for us.

2) What are the one or two or three things most keeping you from living downtown?Price, Price, and Price (not of resturants and stuff, just the price os housing)

3) Would an increased selection of nearby business make you significantly more likely to move downtown? If so, which businesses would make you significantly more likely to move? Not really, but if a bunch of RTP jobs moved DT then my dad would love to work there.

4) Do you work downtown?My mom does.

5) What are one or two or three things you would most like to see change about downtown?Housing for the middle class, more urban projects encompassing first floor retail, a mass transit system.

6) What are one or two or three types of businesses you would most like to see open downtown? An nice arcade, a movie theater, some kind of clothing/department store.

Demographic Questions

1) What is your age? 15

2) What is your marital status? none

3) How many children under the age of 18 live in your household? 2

4) How many dogs and cats do you own? 0

Archived