More apartments for Raleigh

urbanvb

Happy to see more renters. Apartment developers building more

There's a group of housing professionals welcoming the slowdown: apartment developers.

"The job growth picture here is tremendous," said Mike Underwood of Woodfield Investments. "And the rising interest rates slow people down from buying houses. It's a great thing for us."

Woodfield is building 669 apartments in two Triangle complexes -- a fraction of what has become the biggest apartment-building binge in five years.

An additional 4,257 apartments were being built at the end of September -- the most since 2001, 66 percent more than the annual average for the previous four years and twice the number that were under construction at the corresponding time last year.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was mayor, I'd make sure the city charged a very high impact fee on those who want to develop on the outskirts of the cities, so called "greenfield" development, and a very minimal fee to those who choose to redevelop inside the city.

712 Tucker in Glenwood South has 2/3 of it's units as apartments, so you'd think it would be a slam dunk, and the type of infill I am happy to see.

the area around Glenwood South is perfect for apartments because its also close enough to N.C. State to appeal to students who want to live within walking distance of all the activity at night... now they just need to work on the price and it'd be way more than a slam dunk, maybe an alley-oop, 360, between the legs, rock the cradle jam!

I would love to see some apartment buildings connected to a grocery store or shopping center to share common living and parking space. I've seen this type of development in suburban DC (in Crystal City near Pentagon Row).

The only sacrifice for convenience is no club house or pool, and no guaranteed parking spot. But it's a small price to pay for a walkable community.

If I was mayor, I'd make sure the city charged a very high impact fee on those who want to develop on the outskirts of the cities, so called "greenfield" development, and a very minimal fee to those who choose to redevelop inside the city.

712 Tucker in Glenwood South has 2/3 of it's units as apartments, so you'd think it would be a slam dunk, and the type of infill I am happy to see.

Archived