Brevard Street Projects and Pedestrian Corridor

dubone

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

has anyone ever seen possible plans for the parcel and 3rd, 4th, and brevard. The property is owned by the railroads and was once housed the rail yard in Uptown. It would be amazing to me that there has never been any conceptual plan for such a large piece of property so close to Trade & Tryon. After looking at some aerials I realized that it is the last large vacant block directly adjacent to the LRT Uptown and has access to both the 3rd Street LRT station and the Trade Street LRT station.

• 2 weeks later...

The Pursuit Group (of The Trust and now Encore fame) is proposing a child-care facility located at the Grace AME Zion Church on Brevard. The church has been empty for about two years, and was recently named a local historic building.

The main congregation hall will be saved, and a very modern looking annex on the gravel lot located on the parcel.

Somer renderings.

post-1289-1189604547_thumb.jpg post-1289-1189604555_thumb.jpg

They are planning to open in early 2009.

post-1289-1189604547_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1189604555_thumb.jpg

Downtown desparately needs another day care so it is great to see someone stepping up to the plate to make this happen. I think that location is a good one as it is within walking distance of most of the office space in downtown. I see this as a replacement daycare for the YWCA which was one block over from this site.

Downtown desparately needs another day care so it is great to see someone stepping up to the plate to make this happen. I think that location is a good one as it is within walking distance of most of the office space in downtown. I see this as a replacement daycare for the YWCA which was one block over from this site.

Another project is apparantly being planned for Brevard on the same block as The Park as the child care center.

Park Plaza is the working name of the 1,100+ space parking garage that will include 30,000 sq. ft. of ground floor retail, and a 20,000 sq. ft. rooftop park. This has all been rumored before, as apparantly Verna is involved. What hadn't been disclosed is the plans for 200 condos in a tower on top of the parking deck...and......renderings :) well, some early conceptual renderings.

post-1289-1190126779_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1190126789_thumb.jpg

I'm liking the architecture and the street level retail. This could be an example where ultra modern style architecture blends in nicely with its much older neighbors. Although this could clash with the Park Condos. Nice find!

With Brevard being changed to a 2-way street this could be the one that kick starts the plan to make Brevard a "stroll district"

I like the modern architecture, but not at street level. Metal beams coming straight down into the sidewalk dont look very friendly to pedestrians.

But I'm thrilled about Brevard getting this much retail and the possibility of the Brevard street corridor plan moving forward. Hopefully the developers can help jump start the city and others to make it happen.

Any idea how big the footprint is, and how tall we can expect 200 untis to be? The Park owners are going to have part of their skyline view blocked...

Another project is apparantly being planned for Brevard on the same block as The Park as the child care center.

Park Plaza is the working name of the 1,100+ space parking garage that will include 30,000 sq. ft. of ground floor retail, and a 20,000 sq. ft. rooftop park. This has all been rumored before, as apparantly Verna is involved. What hadn't been disclosed is the plans for 200 condos in a tower on top of the parking deck...and......renderings :) well, some early conceptual renderings.

If I understand it correctly, this project will look almost like a fat "L".

There will be the portion seen in the renderings at the corner of Brevard and 4th, with the condo tower at that corner, and there will be an attached leg extending all the way to third, that will go behind AME Grace Zion (but betweeen the church and The Park). This part would have the roof-top park, so as to not block the view for The Park residents.

I agree that this could be a big boost given its proximity to EpiCentre, its just too bad that the 4th St. facade of EpiCentre sucks so bad that no one will want to take the most direct path between the two.

I know I don't post a lot and simply read the posts, but I really need to say this.

Silly me : I was completely unaware of this project until now! My jaw is dropping : what else to say except this is something Charlotte really needs? My Godness, a retail corridor in downtown : I didn't read all the posts so can I ask when all this will be completely built (it if is built, and I really hope it is!)? Off all the projects going on in downtown, this is clearly one of those that excites me the most! Thumbs up for Charlotte! ;)

When I think I was in Charlotte 10 years ago : not a lot has been done since. But within 10 years I have the feeling downtown will be completely different...

Archived