Brevard Street Projects and Pedestrian Corridor

dubone

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe a lot of transit functions will switch over to the new intermodal station in 3rd/4th Ward. I was also told that when Ghazi "unofficially" pitched his EpiCentre/210 Trade plan to the city, he told them that his project was a no-go if they didn't move the transit center and it's crime away from his parcel.

Well, Ghazi does live in [the South Park area], so I can see how anything beyond a neighborhood that hires off-duty police officers to patrol each night can be intimidating (my apologies if the rumors are untrue :) )......anyway, there is no dice on them relocating the buses out of there anytime in the near future. The future multi-modal station will relieve some of the bus over-crowding, but there is no plan to completely replace the current facility......my hope is in the future that it can be developed as an air-rights deal....

• 1 month later...

Apparantly Verna has planned to add a "fake gold mine" in collaboration with Reed Gold Mine in the new parking deck planned for Brevard. It will be called Gold Bazaar.

I'm going to get some dirt from the creek at Reed Gold Mine for the entrance and create our own creek. People will be able to pan for gold. Reed's is very excited about doing this.

The mural will go up in what looks like a tunnel to a gold mine. We'll have faux rocks and a replica of gold nuggets, gold memorabilia.

The first thing I want to do is build a parking deck, which we will hopefully be operating by the first of '09. The Gold Bazaar will follow.

Let's talk about Verna's plan in this thread or one dedicated to his project when it gets further along. I created a thread on the larger question of reopening a real mine for tourists and other issues relating to Charlotte's gold mining and mint past:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/Gold-Min...Cha-t42698.html

• 1 month later...

Dubone used this link in the Noda thread, but did anyone notice under the Epicentre (5th from the left) pictures there is a block rendering of the area around it. Let it scroll through the pics, the block diagram shows a large highrise across 4th st from the CTC. I believe thats the NCRR property, is this something new or were they just adding madeup buildings around Epicentre to make it look more dense? The building is huge, and that property is prime real estate. How long can it last as a parking lot?

http://www.dmra.biz/#architecture-7a16e

Dubone used this link in the Noda thread, but did anyone notice under the Epicentre (5th from the left) pictures there is a block rendering of the area around it. Let it scroll through the pics, the block diagram shows a large highrise across 4th st from the CTC. I believe thats the NCRR property, is this something new or were they just adding madeup buildings around Epicentre to make it look more dense? The building is huge, and that property is prime real estate. How long can it last as a parking lot?

http://www.dmra.biz/#architecture-7a16e

Here is the rendering Mo is referring to:

gallery_1_2_11904.jpg

That is huge- looks to be over 50 stories and when you are at the Stonewall station looking down at Club Crush, you can only think how many days that will still last. That is one of the most prime pieces of property right now- direct access to the Stonewall Station, great location uptown.

That is huge- looks to be over 50 stories and when you are at the Stonewall station looking down at Club Crush, you can only think how many days that will still last. That is one of the most prime pieces of property right now- direct access to the Stonewall Station, great location uptown.

• 2 months later...

Something I think will be a catalyst for making this happen is the block bounded by Lynx, 3rd, 4th, and Brevard. This parcel is owned by 2 different railroad companies that obviously don't have a business need for the property as there will not be any heavy rail on the Lynx line for the forseeable future. Right now this block is one large surface lot.

Coming up shortly in 2009 will be the dreaded Revaluation. The current tax value on this block is about $9M. I expect that value to increase greatly along with the property tax payment and therefore giving the railroads the economic incentive to offload or develop this block.

The railroads also don't have much incentive to sell since they don't owe yearly taxes. Why not just keep an asset in a prime spot and be the last to sell. I'm sure it has not escaped them.

I think of the Brevard plan like the Charlotte 2010 plan. It is a great idea, and something worth doing, but until the city does its part, and creates an overlay zone requiring the points it suggests like requiring a midrise section fronting Brevard, funds the actual street and sidewalk work, and actually conforms the Convention Center to the principles in that document, it is a bit of a dream.

The street work is the biggest impetus, and for most of the meetings on this topic, I believed that the work to do it was funded in the city budget. In fact, the only part funded by the city is the functional work to make Caldwell and Brevard 2-way, with some paint and clever turning of some streetlights. If the city can make a commitment to build the Tryon-like sidewalks and street amenities, and do the curvy street change, pretty much the only changes that will happen will be those that are already planned. That is, the city plans to build the NASCAR hall and sell the land where Brevard used to connect to South, and Pursuit or Verna will do their fancy parking deck at 4th and Brevard. That's about it.

I was mistaken for Norfolk Southern, since they do seem to pay a tax bill on their property. I bet NCRR might be considered part of the state government if I am interpretting correctly that they don't pay a bill.

Here is the tax bill on NCRR's half of that block:

http://scca.its.state.nc.us:3007/cics/txar...i/?key=12501405

Here is the bill on N-S land:

http://scca.its.state.nc.us:3007/cics/txar...i/?key=12501406

The NCRR bill page looks just like it does for other exempt properties.

Archived