Brevard Street Projects and Pedestrian Corridor

dubone

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always pegged that block for a makep development considering it is adjacent to the light rail, is centrally located and can be attached to the oversteet system with a little creativity.

I actually think the plans that seem to relegate this block to a large low rise building is selling the place short. I hope they don't zone to enforce that. Uptown should be the place for densit and height, even though I agree with stepping back as they describe.

^ I don't think the plan necessarily sells this parcel short. According to the Brevard Street plan, after a 20' setback from the low-rise facade of the building, the height is unlimited, just like UMUD. If the block is developed as a whole this would be no problem at all, as plenty of room would be left between this 20' line and the LRT tracks.

Of the blocks remaining uptown that are surface parking only, this one has the most potential IMO. Hopefully the City is able to implement the Brevard Street plan and kickstart the development of this block.

I always pegged that block for a makep development considering it is adjacent to the light rail, is centrally located and can be attached to the oversteet system with a little creativity.

I actually think the plans that seem to relegate this block to a large low rise building is selling the place short. I hope they don't zone to enforce that. Uptown should be the place for densit and height, even though I agree with stepping back as they describe.

I posted this a long time ago on a thread for hypthetical developments.

I'd buy the NCRR/NS block bound by 4th, 3rd, Brevard, LRT tracks, and do two highrises over retail.

The highrise fronting 3rd would have the bottom 3 flors a Saks or Bloomindales, with 15-20 floors of high-end hotel (Intercontinental or Four Seasons) topped with 15-20 floors of condos.

The high-rise facing 4th (across the street from the CTC) would have the first 3 floors occupied by Belk or Macy's, then about 20 floors of office space above that.

There would be a pedestrian alley between the two towers running from Brevard to the tracks, with a grand stone staircase leading up to the LRT concourse (and an elevator for ADA compliance ) The alley would be lined with smaller shops.

• 1 month later...
The Pursuit Group (of The Trust and now Encore fame) is proposing a child-care facility located at the Grace AME Zion Church on Brevard. The church has been empty for about two years, and was recently named a local historic building.

The main congregation hall will be saved, and a very modern looking annex on the gravel lot located on the parcel.

Somer renderings.

post-1289-1189604547_thumb.jpg post-1289-1189604555_thumb.jpg

They are planning to open in early 2009.

I think Pursuit Group is making some really great decisions, and will help to create some real vibrancy on that block which can hopefully add some momentum. I suspect that that place will end up being a solid event location, especially weddings.

Somehow, I bet what they do will be a little bit better for the area than ParkIt. Just a hunch.

I think Pursuit Group is making some really great decisions, and will help to create some real vibrancy on that block which can hopefully add some momentum. I suspect that that place will end up being a solid event location, especially weddings.

Somehow, I bet what they do will be a little bit better for the area than ParkIt. Just a hunch.

I'm sorta bummed that they aren't going forward with the Child Care plan, just because I feel that downtown is very underserved in that regard, and it could attract more companies to locate downtown. However, I think an even better spot for a daycare would be the Treolar house site, which could accomodate an expansion. It would also meet Pursuit's criteria for saving an older building. Jim, if you're reading this, you can have the idea gratis.

Just act fast, that building I'm sure is deteriorating by the day.

Archived