CMA Awards

it's just dave

Hey folks,

Nashville sure looks good splattered all over a giant screen for all of America to see. We talk about buildings, we talk about whether we like them or not, whether we should tear them down, whether we should build them up. For all the excitement generated by these brick and mortar developments, as citizens of this great city, I hope you all understand the impact of this show. No city, anywhere, can touch this sample of an American art form in such a dynamic way. And never will. Whether country is your thing or not, this dwarfs everything else we talk about, even Siggie. This is big.

The skyline shots are amazing. So were Carrie Underwood's legs and Jennifer Nettle's (Sugarland) form in those jeans. Amazing. Coming from me, that says a lot. lol.

Anyway, I sit in awe at this priceless advertising and the impact these young performers are making. This is a business and country's album sales grew this year more than any other musical genre. Just wait till Walmart opens tomorrow. Sure wish I had a piece of that pie. Maybe it's not banking, auto manufacturing, healthcare...this just looks a lot more fun. And with billions of dollars being generated, who's to argue.

The GEC looks great.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the fans are staying at my hotel. A couple this morning were smoking on the sidewalk. The woman in her nightgown and the man in his boxers and a tee shirt wearing no shoes. Classy fun people alright! Standing in their underwear smoking on Commerce Street. Pacman is not the only embarassment for the city this week!

Yes, Carrrie has nice legs but it is easy to have them at age 19!

I didn't get a chance to watch them because I was working all night...but I'm so glad that the CMAs are back in Nashville. It's amazing to think of the national (global?) exposure that our little city gets because of country music. While I don't really have anything against the GEC, I wish we had a more prestigious/beautiful venue to have awards shows like this in. Maybe if we had something a little more enticing Nashville could be in the running for hosting something like the Grammys one year...maybe...

But anyways, country music is such a huge asset to this city. Personally, I can't stand most of it, but the fact is, there is no other city in America that is so closely tied to a genre of music. I know that Memphis has blues, but it kind of shares that with New Orleans...neither New York or La can claim to be the center of rock or pop - but Nashville can claim country. I'm just glad that Metro is beginning to embrace this heritage a little more with things like the music city mil and walk of fame and everything.

I hope our city looked great tonight.

Hey folks,

Nashville sure looks good splattered all over a giant screen for all of America to see. We talk about buildings, we talk about whether we like them or not, whether we should tear them down, whether we should build them up. For all the excitement generated by these brick and mortar developments, as citizens of this great city, I hope you all understand the impact of this show. No city, anywhere, can touch this sample of an American art form in such a dynamic way. And never will. Whether country is your thing or not, this dwarfs everything else we talk about, even Siggie. This is big.

The skyline shots are amazing. So were Carrie Underwood's legs and Jennifer Nettle's (Sugarland) form in those jeans. Amazing. Coming from me, that says a lot. lol.

Anyway, I sit in awe at this priceless advertising and the impact these young performers are making. This is a business and country's album sales grew this year more than any other musical genre. Just wait till Walmart opens tomorrow. Sure wish I had a piece of that pie. Maybe it's not banking, auto manufacturing, healthcare...this just looks a lot more fun. And with billions of dollars being generated, who's to argue.

The GEC looks great.

Did anyone else notice Faith Hill's reaction when Carrie Underwood won? I looked over at my wife and said, "Did you just see that?" We were both scratching our heads - trying to figure out if it was a joke or if she was really upset. If it was a joke, it was bad taste. If she was really upset, my opinion of her just dropped a few notches. I know that it's up on youtube if anyone didn't see it.

BTW...Great show!!! It was a wonderful three hour commercial for Nashville, and I think we can all be proud.

Did anyone else notice Faith Hill's reaction when Carrie Underwood won? I looked over at my wife and said, "Did you just see that?" We were both scratching our heads - trying to figure out if it was a joke or if she was really upset. If it was a joke, it was bad taste. If she was really upset, my opinion of her just dropped a few notches. I know that it's up on youtube if anyone didn't see it.

BTW...Great show!!! It was a wonderful three hour commercial for Nashville, and I think we can all be proud.

The CMA's really made Nashville look awesome, and showed off our great city. I caught the Faith Hill thing, and I thought it was hilarous...I mean, surely she knew she was still on camera, but she looked FURIOUS. I just about cried when Ronnie Dunn read Keith Urban's letter from rehab after getting Male Vocalist of the Year, and as a loyal fan I really hope he recovers. The CMA's really provide a three hour free ad for Nashville, and I was quite proud.

The CMA's really made Nashville look awesome, and showed off our great city. I caught the Faith Hill thing, and I thought it was hilarous...I mean, surely she knew she was still on camera, but she looked FURIOUS. I just about cried when Ronnie Dunn read Keith Urban's letter from rehab after getting Male Vocalist of the Year, and as a loyal fan I really hope he recovers. The CMA's really provide a three hour free ad for Nashville, and I was quite proud.

Probably no chance of getting the Grammy awards here anytime soon. It was held here in Nashville in 1972 (?) in the Tennessee Theater at 6th and Church (replaced by Cumberland Apartments).

The person who controls the Grammies said he was in Nashville once in February during a snow storm and claims the city totally shut down. On the other hand, the show has been to New York 10 times and I would think it is just as succeptable to closing down during a major weather event.

I think it's just bias against Nashville and country music. Or maybe they are concerned the big acts would not come here. I think a break from Hollywood would appeal strongly to many stars. Nashville attracts stars outside of country music all the time.

Residents include, Kid Rock and Pamela Anderson, Nicole Kidman, Nikki Taylor, Natalie Cole, Donna Summer, Sheryl Crow, Scott Hamilton, Aaron Neville, and on and on. Frequent visitors include Cameron Diaz, Paris Hilton, Paul McCartney, Little Richard and on and on.

Nashville must not be too deep in the boonies if these people want to be here.

Archived