Why No Dessertery in Charlotte?

I've always found it odd that there isn't a true "dessertery" in Charlotte. You know, a cozy little cafe sort of place that only does desserts....typically arrayed temptingly under a glass case.....along with coffee and such. If there's such an animal in Charlotte, I'm not aware of it and think it would be a great addition to the city.

If there's one in some far-flung place like Ballantyne or Birkdale, that doesn't count. It needs to be in the CITY. :P

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always found it odd that there isn't a true "dessertery" in Charlotte. You know, a cozy little cafe sort of place that only does desserts....typically arrayed temptingly under a glass case.....along with coffee and such. If there's such an animal in Charlotte, I'm not aware of it and think it would be a great addition to the city.

If there's one in some far-flung place like Ballantyne or Birkdale, that doesn't count. It needs to be in the CITY. :P

I've seen these commonly referred to as "cake cafes" in other larger cities. I think Charlotte has another 20 years to go before we start seeing these kinds of places, unless there is a franchise for such a thing. Almost everything here is part of a national franchise which is why you don't see more eclectic eateries unless you go into the more down trodden parts of town.

Technically most of the coffee houses here could be considered to serve the same purpose as they mostly only sell deserts to go with the coffee drinks. However they really are not the type of places that I was referring to above as they normally don't use china, tableclothes, or wait staff that serve the customers.

I've seen these commonly referred to as "cake cafes" in other larger cities. I think Charlotte has another 20 years to go before we start seeing these kinds of places, unless there is a franchise for such a thing. Almost everything here is part of a national franchise which is why you don't see more eclectic eateries unless you go into the more down trodden parts of town.

Technically most of the coffee houses here could be considered to serve the same purpose as they mostly only sell deserts to go with the coffee drinks. However they really are not the type of places that I was referring to above as they normally don't use china, tableclothes, or wait staff that serve the customers.

I think Plaza Midwood or NoDa would be ideal areas for this kind of place. Having a nice but laidback spot to eat dessert late after a movie or a show would be awesome. A locally owned establishment would be best, I know we have CF at SouthPark but that is hardly the same vibe. Relatedly, "Cupcake" recently opened on Upper King St. in Charleston. All they sell are gourmet cupcakes How yummy is that? :P

Well metro, I have to disagree with you on that. I've been to plenty of cities WAY smaller than Charlotte with desserteries and such. And they need not be fancy places with tablecloths and a wait staff....just more along the lines of a coffee house, but with lots of desserts. To your point, if we got something like that in town I'd naturally prefer it be a cool and locally-owned eclectic non-chain place. Maybe I just need to be the one to introduce the Charlotte market to such a spot. Now....if only I could learn how to bake. ;)

Well metro, I have to disagree with you on that. I've been to plenty of cities WAY smaller than Charlotte with desserteries and such. And they need not be fancy places with tablecloths and a wait staff....just more along the lines of a coffee house, but with lots of desserts. To your point, if we got something like that in town I'd naturally prefer it be a cool and locally-owned eclectic non-chain place. Maybe I just need to be the one to introduce the Charlotte market to such a spot. Now....if only I could learn how to bake. ;)

In all seriousness though this is not the first time someone started a thread on this exact subject. Of course I'm far to lazy to find the old thread but each time the topic has sparked a decent amount of attention as a lacking business in Charlotte. I think we said last time that it would be smart to put one in Gateway Village near where Johnson and Wales has their chocolate lab open for viewing from the sidewalk. Let the University get people salivating as they're walking down the sidewalk and have a place like this next door to reap the benefit. Personally I think a place like this would also be great on Elizabeth Avenue in Grubb's new development.

Midwood would be great place for a joint like that. It is developing quite the quirky reputation for quality eating. The neighborhood's usually pretty well thought of when lower price/ higher quality/ great experience comes to mind. I would personally be more inclined to regularly visit a place like this if it were in Liz or Midwood. Those are simply the places I'm more likely to be on Friday night. Uptown has its late night benefits but dodging the Albemarle hellcats who come to "the big city" to party can get old after a while. As can paying 6.00 for a beer.

Even here in little ol Greenville, we have a place called The Daily Grind, which bills itself as a dessertery (and has some awesome stuff), although they do have a small regular menu as well.

When I think of dessertery, I think of this one place in Greenwich Village that has all sorts of good cakes and stuff. Nowhere to sit inside, you just wait in (on) line and order stuff from under the glass. There was a little park across the street that was well lit with tables. I think it was on Sex and the City once.

When in Charlotte, unfortunately, we always end up at a chain when we get the dessert craving. Maggianos has AWESOME tiramisu. I wish there was a more local place to go.

I think there may be some different ideas on what this might be.

In my experience a dessertery or, cake cafe, is a full service restaurant where you sit at a table, get a menu and a waiter/waitress takes your order from the menu. The only thing on the menu is deserts and beverages include coffee or tea. Service is on china and/or silver. Most places bring out a cart or a multitiered serving tray with examples of the deserts. The more elegant places have waiters with white gloves and fine dress and I believe the concept comes from the British tradition of afternoon teas and desserts. Most of the desserts are quite petite and quite expensive. i.e. Quality over Quantity.

Charlotte with its tradition of franchised restaurants with supersized everything and gigantic previously frozen manufactured cakes from the Harris Teeter bakery does not seem a likely place for something like this anytime in the foreseeable future.

Archived