Why No Dessertery in Charlotte?

For someone not looking to promote something you sure gave us enough links for it. Welcome to the forum, but please review our rules. I wish you luck in your endeavors. Can you please tell me what "homemade" ice cream means when it comes to a business that would sell it?

Also in general I hope any of the desserteries would take the time and trouble to learn how to make and sell good coffee. Often when they do have good deserts, this aspect is petty lacking with the coffee being a little better than the battery acid that one would find in a fast food place that has been sitting in a pot all day. It has been said there is no good retail coffee to be had in Charlotte (on coffee forums) and I tend to believe it. (a good start would be no drip coffee machines)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason I ask about the homemade stuff is that most of the bakeries around here buy frozen dough and don't make it themselves so I assume the same thing about the ice cream. I think the problem you are going to have is to find the place that gets enough traffic where you can turn enough profit to pay the rent which tends to be unusually high in Charlotte. Aside from the barista issue you mention, this is the reason there is a lack of good independent coffee houses in Charlotte.

Fantastic website Soulmade! It's a great concept that would do very well here, especially with the added hook of martinis and open-mike. Count me as a potential parton. As you know, location is everything. Any thoughts on what parts of the city are highest on your radar?

It's not quite what we mean by "dessertery", but a quintessential Charlotte experience is to get some ice cream from the Dairy Queen on Wilkinson. No matter what time you go -- morning, daytime, evening, late-night -- there is always a line and always an interesting crowd.

Maybe my tastes are simple, but that's enough for me ^_^

Looking for a barista? I have been searching for a great cup of coffee in Charlotte since moving here and have yet to find one. I worked as a barista at a micro-roaster for two years and am too darn picky. Plus the grad stipend just isn't paying the bills...

That aside, this is a great idea. While you may find the financial support more in the southern areas already mentioned, personal interests push me to ask you to consider places further north, like NoDa. If and when the NE corridor LRT opens, NoDA will take off even more than it has already. However, from a business point of view, it will be at least a decade to two before trains run in that area and I am certain you would like business before that point in time.

Archived