Election Prediction Game

TheBostonian

Go ahead and predict who will control the House and Senate after today's election. Leave out your view of who should win. Share only who you think will win. And then tomorrow we can compare the predictions with the actual results.

------------------------------------

My prediction:

Republicans hold onto both houses.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Democrats will win the house.

George Allen will be revealed as an actual still active Klan member and resign in shame. Ford will lose in Tennessee.

Democrats in Pennsylvania and New York and New Jersey (though I actually like the Repub from Jersey) and Missouri.

Of course, Georgia, where the President still has a 50% approval rating, will vote overwhelmingly Republican and insist that Bush be named Chancellor of the Gilgamecks, and that we all worship him accordingly (though in my district, Dem. John Barrow will squeak out a win against Max Burns, :) )

• 1 month later...

now that the race for congress is behind us let us predict who will face off in 2008 and who will win.

I think these poll figures are pretty acurate.

AOL POLL

Which Democrat has the best chance of winning the presidency?

John Edwards 28%

Hillary Clinton 24%

Barack Obama 22%

Other 8%

Joe Biden 8%

Bill Richardson 4%

John Kerry 3%

Tom Vilsack 1%

Dennis Kucinich 1%

Chris Dodd 1%

Which Republican has the best chance of winning the presidency?

Rudy Giuliani 40%

John McCain 36%

Mitt Romney 7%

Other 6%

Newt Gingrich 6%

Chuck Hagel 2%

Sam Brownback 1%

Mike Huckabee 1%

Duncan Hunter 0%

The Democratic Ticket will be Edwards/Obama

The Republican Ticket will be Giuliani/McCain

JOHN EDWARDS PERSONAL BIO

Edwards was born on June 10, 1953 to Wallace R. Edwards and Kathryn Juanita Wade in Seneca, South Carolina. The family moved several times during Edwards' childhood, eventually settling in Robbins, North Carolina, where his father worked in a textile mill and his mother was a postal employee. Edwards was the first person in his family to attend college. He first attended Clemson University and later transferred to North Carolina State University.

- Edwards graduated with a bachelor's degree in textile technology in 1974 from North Carolina State University, and later earned his law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, both with honors. While at UNC, he met fellow law student Elizabeth Anania. They married in 1977 and have four children. Their first two, Wade and Cate, were born soon after John and Elizabeth's marriage. In 1996, their 16-year-old son, Wade, was killed in a car accident. Following Wade's death, Edwards and his wife chose to have children again: Emma Claire, born when Elizabeth was 49 years old in 1998, and Jack, born when Elizabeth was 51 in 2000. The Edwards family now live in rural/suburban Orange County, in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill metro area, in North Carolina.

John-Edwards-Shakes-Hands.jpg

RUDY GIULIANI PERSONAL BIO

Personal

Giuliani was born in Brooklyn, New York, raised in Garden City South on Long Island, to Harold Angel Giuliani and Helen C. D'Avarizo, the children of Italian immigrants. He attended Manhattan College before graduating from the New York University School of Law sprite laude in 1968.

Giuliani is married to Judith Nathan; this is his third marriage. He has two children, Andrew and Caroline, from his second marriage to television personality Donna Hanover, and one stepdaughter, Whitney, who is Nathan's daughter. Giuliani's first marriage, to Regina Peruggi, was annulled after fourteen years, according to Giuliani, because he discovered he and his wife were second cousins. The couple did not have any children.

Giuliani is also an enthusiastic fan of the New York Yankees and is frequently spotted in attendance of the team's games.

800px-Rumsfeld_and_Giuliani_at_Ground_Zero.jpg

a few weird coincidences corrulating with John Edwards, the Kennedys and the Lincoln Administration.

-John Kennedy was a senator before being elected president and Edwards was a senator.

-John Kennedy was known as "Jack". John Edwards has a son named "Jack".

-John Edwards has a mother named "Bobbie" and a father named "Wallace". Robert or "Bobby" Kennedy ran for president against George "Wallace" in 1968. (many say Edwards remind them of Robert Kennedy)

-Abraham Lincoln's Sister-in-law was named "Elizabeth Edwards" John Edwards's wife is named "Elizabeth Edwards"

-Abraham Lincoln was 6 feet 4 inches tall John Kerry is 6 feet 4 inches tall

-many say John Kerry resembles Abraham Lincoln. Abraham Lincolns running mate (Andrew Johnson) was from Raleigh, North Carolina. John Edwards lives in Raleigh, North Carolina.

-Andrew Johnson was a senator, John Edwards was a senator

-Andrew Johnson worked in law in Nashville Tennessee, John Edwards worked in law in Nashville Tennessee

-If you take the letters in John Edwards name, you can rearrange them so they spell out "Andrew Johs"

-John Edwards's son Wade got killed in a car accident on April 4, 1996

Andrew Johnson's son Charles got killed while riding a hores on April 4, 1863 (VERY ERIE)

-Ironically Wade and Charles are the names of two men well known for being instramental in the impeachment of Andrew Johnson.

-Andrew Johnson's wife was named "Eliza". John Edwards wife is named "Eliza"beth"

-President Andrew Johnson was Methodist. John Edwards is Methodist.

If the Dems nominate Hillary, then they might as well nominate Homer Simpson. I like her, and would vote for her, but she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning the presidency. Too many people in the South hate her guts~~for whatever reason (??) That's too bad, because she would probably make a fine president. Brains like her's don't exactly grow on trees.

I think Edwards would be a fabulous candidate. He is as plain spoken a politician as has been around in a long time. Seeing him TV these days is a treat. Lucid, plain spoken, unpretentious, smart as hell, respectable.......how could the Dems do better than him? He probably couldn't carry N.C., but I bet he could carry New Mexico or Nevada, or maybe Colorado (Clinton did) and those states could give him an electoral victory. (on top of the usual blue states)

If the primary was today Edwards would get my vote.

I'm surprised how well Gulliani is doing in the polls! I think in a general election his national popularity (he's America's mayor after all:) would take him far. But how on earth he's gonna win the S.C. republican primary is beyond me~~~~religious nuts don't like people like Gulliani. He doesn't want to see gays mistreated, and they hate that about him.

McCain seems to be inching toward the fundamentalist republican "base". That's a shame, because it makes him look like a hack, a politician that will swallow the worst brine, just to get elected.

Edwards vs. Guilliani would be a wonderful matchup!!!

as far as realistic chance for the democrats, Edwards is the best option. John Edwards is just more electible than Hillary Clinton, Obama and the rest of the pack. Hes not an unknown anymore. The mid western states and the south would never vote for Hillary and democrats need to pick up some of those states. John Edwards would get traditionally republican states such as Oklahoma, Montanta and New Mexico, especially if Edwards is running against Gulliani who is seen as a big city slicker. My gut feeling is that America still has a problem with a woman or a minority being president. of course I think that is very wrong but its the facts weither we like it or not. its a "white man's" job. John Edwards is the best candidate for the democrats and Rudolph Gulliani is the best candidate for Republicans.

The election will come down to this.

The GOP has become the Dixie party. i.e. the party of White evangelicals. Any GOP contender is going to have to figure out how to appeal to moderates again. I don't see McCain being able to do this and Guilliani has a lot of issues with keeping his base. If he is nominated and loses even just a few Southern states, especially Florida and/or Texas, he is done. They have a tough field to plow now.

In the same token I don't think any of the likely Democratic contenders except for Edwards, has a snowball's chance in hell in winning any Southern states as they have completely, ignored this part of the world. They do this at their own peril because this is the Kerry strategy and he got pasted for it. I think the Democratic primary will be decided in SC. i.e. the party needs to nominate the winner of that primary, or they will have a hard time winning.

The election will come down to this.

The GOP has become the Dixie party. i.e. the party of White evangelicals. Any GOP contender is going to have to figure out how to appeal to moderates again. I don't see McCain being able to do this and Guilliani has a lot of issues with keeping his base. If he is nominated and loses even just a few Southern states, especially Florida and/or Texas, he is done. They have a tough field to plow now.

In the same token I don't think any of the likely Democratic contenders except for Edwards, has a snowball's chance in hell in winning any Southern states as they have completely, ignored this part of the world. They do this at their own peril because this is the Kerry strategy and he got pasted for it. I think the Democratic primary will be decided in SC. i.e. the party needs to nominate the winner of that primary, or they will have a hard time winning.

I agree with metro. Whoever wins the S.C. primary is in a very strong space to continue running. I think the republican primary in S.C. is particularly relevant. McCain probably wants a win in S.C. more than in New Hampshire or Iowa. It will be facinating to see who prevails in the Palmetto State on both sides.

Kerry stayed out of the South because he knew he didn't have a chance in the red state South. I don't think his demeanor would have been appealing for Southerners. Maybe his staff knew that as well and decided to campaign elsewhere. In person he came across as stiff as a board. Such a failed candidate~~

Edwards would be an early favorite for the S.C. primary. If he wins Iowa or New Hampshire coming into S.C. he might become unbeatable.

I agree with metro. Whoever wins the S.C. primary is in a very strong space to continue running. I think the republican primary in S.C. is particularly relevant. McCain probably wants a win in S.C. more than in New Hampshire or Iowa. It will be facinating to see who prevails in the Palmetto State on both sides.

Kerry stayed out of the South because he knew he didn't have a chance in the red state South. I don't think his demeanor would have been appealing for Southerners. Maybe his staff knew that as well and decided to campaign elsewhere. In person he came across as stiff as a board. Such a failed candidate~~

Edwards would be an early favorite for the S.C. primary. If he wins Iowa or New Hampshire coming into S.C. he might become unbeatable.

last time around John Edwards won the SC primary and I imigine he'll do it again. Republicans are scared of him because they know what hes capable of doing to win states, thats why hes down play by republicans. John Edwards is already leading in the polls in Iowa which is the first state that has the caucuses. Ususlly the person winning in Iowa ends up getting the nomination.

Archived