• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Proposal 5 - Mandatory School Funding

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having pitched in to help with elections here in Plainfield Township, I can confidently report that the State's new technology "standards" for voting have resulted in a HUGE step backward for our Township. Our Township Clerk had done a whole bunch of detailed research a few years back and as a result we chose to invest in the latest, greatest touch screen devices which also generated a basically bullet-proof paper back-up for post-election verification purposes. In the few years we utilized those machines, I never experienced a waiting line to vote, it required fewer volunteers to man voting locations - and the Township was able to tally and report vote totals almost instantaneously. Today, I waited in line for 10-15 minutes watching several volunteers scramble around trying to manage the cumbersome process, I felt much less confident in the "bubble-filling" methodology and I can confidently say our Township election volunteers will be up much later tonight working to tally the results.

Ah, yes. One more example of how local knowledge (the expertise of people who run elections year-in-and-year-out) can get steamrolled by the "wisdom" (folly) of the larger units of government who have probably never actually run a voting booth in their lives. Everyone repeat after me in unison: "We're from the Federal Election Commission and we're here to help..." (rolling my eyes).

I filled in circles with a black pen and then feed my ballott through an optical machine and watched the number increase by one.

I also talked with my folks, that live in Mason County, near Ludington. They had two options in their township. My father used the same method as me while my Mother used the computer method. I don't know if this is the e-voting that people are talking about though. From what she said, she was given her ballet, just like my Father was and then she was instructed to insert her ballet into a computer/machine. The screen in front of her was like a computer touch screen. She was able to enlarge the font and also change color of the font and background to make the reading of the screen to her liking. She touched screened her votes and upon completion the machine spit out her ballet with the cirlces filled in. She was able to look over her ballet to make sure the correct circles were filled in. After her approval she was asked to put her ballet into the optical reader/machine and she watched the number of ballets contained within increase by one.

Is this the e-voting machine people are talking about? It seems with being able to "review" your ballet after voting and before submitting it to the optical reader that I would think my vote was created and counted fairly.

Well, WXYZ has already called the major elections. They'll have egg on their faces if they're wrong:

WXYZ Breaking News: Granholm, Stabenow, Cox, Land Among Projected Winners

They also say that Prop 3 & 5 will not pass.

Detroit News shared the same poll and their article is not as strong in verbage. I actually participated in this exit poll.

UPDATE: WOODTV/EPIC-MRA also calling it the same way.

I filled in circles with a black pen and then feed my ballott through an optical machine and watched the number increase by one.

I also talked with my folks, that live in Mason County, near Ludington. They had two options in their township. My father used the same method as me while my Mother used the computer method. I don't know if this is the e-voting that people are talking about though. From what she said, she was given her ballet, just like my Father was and then she was instructed to insert her ballet into a computer/machine. The screen in front of her was like a computer touch screen. She was able to enlarge the font and also change color of the font and background to make the reading of the screen to her liking. She touched screened her votes and upon completion the machine spit out her ballet with the cirlces filled in. She was able to look over her ballet to make sure the correct circles were filled in. After her approval she was asked to put her ballet into the optical reader/machine and she watched the number of ballets contained within increase by one.

Is this the e-voting machine people are talking about? It seems with being able to "review" your ballet after voting and before submitting it to the optical reader that I would think my vote was created and counted fairly.

I told you all the state of Michigan would not elect Dick Devos, the race wasn't even that close, news organizations called it right after the polls closed.

I would have voted red though if my residence were not still in Arizona.

Our votes for Devos/Granholm were pretty close - 55/42 (State) compared to 54/46 here

Proposal 1 Preserve Recreation Funds - 81/19 (I personally don't know who would have voted against this)

Proposal 2 Ban Affirmative Action - 58/42 (Quite a resounding message sent there)

Proposal 3 Allow Dove Hunting - 31/69 (Even having a proposal like this is a waste of taxpayer money if you ask me)

Proposal 4 Restrict Eminent Domain - 80/20 (Quite a bit different than UP voters, but we tend to lean pro-development and anti-Azzar)

Proposal 5 Mandatory School Funding - 38/62 (I think people saw this as a flawed idea)

In other election results (%):

Is the tide turning on the SW/Ottawa County side?

Grandville residents overturned a ban on Sunday beer & wine sales at restaurants - 60/40 (in 2003, this was defeated 48/52, which represents a massive shift in voter sentiment)

Zeeland residents overturned a ban on any alcohol sales - 51/49 (by 50 votes)

Is Hudsonville next?

Others:

Grand Rapids Twp residents approved the rezoning that will allow the Village of Orchard Hills to move forward - 59/41

Ada Twp residents approved an expansion of its trail system - 53/47

Grattan, Oakfield and Solon Twps all heavily defeated millage increase proposals

Grandville residents approved a school millage proposal - 55/45

WZZM election results

In other election results (%):

Is the tide turning on the SW/Ottawa County side?

Grandville residents overturned a ban on Sunday beer & wine sales at restaurants - 60/40 (in 2003, this was defeated 48/52, which represents a massive shift in voter sentiment)

Zeeland residents overturned a ban on any alcohol sales - 51/49 (by 50 votes)

Is Hudsonville next?

Others:

Grand Rapids Twp residents approved the rezoning that will allow the Village of Orchard Hills to move forward - 59/41

Ada Twp residents approved an expansion of its trail system - 53/47

Grattan, Oakfield and Solon Twps all heavily defeated millage increase proposals

Grandville residents approved a school millage proposal - 55/45

WZZM election results

Archived