Ruston

rolltide35401

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I'm a Tech student!!! I hope that this is helpful. :)

A brand new Celebrity Theatre has opened in Ruston, and it is a really nice place to hang out with friends. A Starbucks is also being constructed on Tech Drive. I read in a Tech newpaper that the university is suppose to demolish it's two tall male residential towers, Neilson and Caruthers. As you probably already know, Caruthers close after the hurricane evacues resided there, and Neilson is suppose to close in a year or two. So it should be exciting to see what Tech builds in their places. The university has also built new apartment complexes called The University Park Apartments. They are suppose to build additional apartment buildings, but I'm not sure when they will begin on those. I don't know how long it's been since you've been to Ruston, but there seems to be a little economic development going on here. From what I've seen, there are two hotels being built and a road has been constructed around the theatre where I believe future growth will occur.

I was in Ruston this past weekend. There' are two new hotel's under construction there. A Fairfield Inn right next to the Holiday Inn Express at the Ruston/Farmerville exit. I think it will have 4 or 5 floors. There is also a Sleep Inn being built near the public library.

A brand new Celebrity Theatre has opened in Ruston, and it is a really nice place to hang out with friends. A Starbucks is also being constructed on Tech Drive. I read in a Tech newpaper that the university is suppose to demolish it's two tall male residential towers, Neilson and Caruthers.

I am a bit surprised to hear more hotels are going in. Ruston always seemed to have abundance of rooms, and with Monroe only a half hour away, more units seem unnecessary.

Nevertheless great to hear at least some positive development in my childhood home :) Thanks for the replies guys!

There seems to be an abundance of hotel construction all over the state.

My hometown of Leesville already had 6 hotels, but a new Best Western just opened, a Holiday Inn Express is under construction, and a Hampton and a Microtel are on their way. And the area only has around 35,000 people. I'm surprised at the hotel construction, but the corporate chains seem to think there's demand...

Got me. :huh:

It's gotten to the point that the top 4 or 5 chains in the nation aren't competing against anyone else. As a matter of fact, they're competing against themselves it seems. :lol:

Let's put a Fairfield Inn on this corner, a Courtyard on the other and then across from that we'll put a Marriott. Hmmm...

That's quite a bit of hotel construction for little ol' Leesville! I haven't been through there in so long, I don't really even remember a lot about the place. But if they see the demand, then so be it I suppose!

FYI, though, the construction is all over. Longview, TX has 2 or 3 under construction, all across from one another facing I-20. Other smaller Texas towns have the same thing occurring as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Ruston only a couple of times since I graduated in 1992, but I can tell you that both times I had trouble getting a hotel room!

I am glad to hear that they have a decent theater now! They had a really dumpy one when I was there, so we would drive to Monroe as well.

The trolley car sounds like a great addition!

I really need to go back and visit. Ruston is a great town that you really miss once you leave!

I have been to Ruston only a couple of times since I graduated in 1992, but I can tell you that both times I had trouble getting a hotel room!

I am glad to hear that they have a decent theater now! They had a really dumpy one when I was there, so we would drive to Monroe as well.

The trolley car sounds like a great addition!

I really need to go back and visit. Ruston is a great town that you really miss once you leave!

I see you were in Lincoln Parish the same time I was there. That theatre in Ruston was very dumpy back then. We used to always ride over to Monroe to catch a movie. The new Celebrity Theatre is nice.

Ruston also has a Chili's and there's an Applebee's currently under contstruction. Right behind Raising Canes, there's a strip shopping center currently under construction as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I thought I'd revived this thread with a few pics. :shades:

100_0070.jpg

picture of Louisiana Tech from Alabama Ave. with University Park and Wyly Tower(Ruston's tallest) in the background.

100_0067.jpg

Thomas Athletic Center

100_0074.jpg

Peach orchards from the "Peach Capital"

*Bonus

100_0079.jpg

Town of Grambling

• 1 year later...

60th Annual Ruston Peach Festival. :yahoo:

A good crop:Ruston-area peach growers say a dry spring left peaches smaller and later than usual, but that there's a good, sweet crop for the 60th peach festival. Louie Thompson Jr. estimates that his peaches are about three-quarters the usual size because the weather's been so hot and dry.

He and Joe Mitcham of Ruston say those weather conditions also cause the sugars to be concentrated, so the peaches are very sweet. Nancy Bergeron of the Ruston-Lincoln Chamber of Commerce says they're among four area growers who will be selling fresh peaches at the festival Saturday and Sunday. :good:

Archived