Brookwood Village

kayman

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article from The Birmingham Business Journal

I'm assuming that Colonial is also planning on expanding Brookwood Village mall as well with all this redevelopment.

As I understand it, Colonial's original 2nd phase at Brookwood included an extension of the mall westward from the rear half of Parisian (the area where the Pizitz Tire Center was originally) hugging the mountain. That was amended as that area is now slated for an office tower housing Colonial Properties headquarters with retail on the lower floors. I wouldnt be surprised to to see additional retail areas to the west of that

As I understand it, Colonial's original 2nd phase at Brookwood included an extension of the mall westward from the rear half of Parisian (the area where the Pizitz Tire Center was originally) hugging the mountain. That was amended as that area is now slated for an office tower housing Colonial Properties headquarters with retail on the lower floors. I wouldnt be surprised to to see additional retail areas to the west of that

This is the perfect location for a very dense residential development. Density in residential is normally governed by nearby neighborhood groups. Because this area has really defined edges, I think they could do something interesting considering the suburban location. I would like to see 8 to 15 floors of residential at the old shopping center site. In all, if they could add 1,000 people in and around the mall, it would be a unique model for other suburban sites. Plus, mid-rise buildings would help hide the scars in the mountain from the original grading for the mall.

• 3 months later...

That's good news, I wonder if they have plans to expand the mall anytime soon, I can see a Nordstrom and Crate&Bare ll doing very well there, if of course the summit doesn't get them first. This section of Lakeshore is very hot, the next five years we will see a lot of office, condo units going up in this area. It's sort of like Atlanta's Buckhead/ Peachtree road area location wise, except with less land to build on. I would like to see the stretch form Brookwood to Samford build up with dense mixed use. I think it would help 280 congestion, the Lakeshore stretch is so valuable because of its easy access to everywhere, especially downtown.

That's good news, I wonder if they have plans to expand the mall anytime soon, I can see a Nordstrom and Crate&Bare ll doing very well there, if of course the summit doesn't get them first. This section of Lakeshore is very hot, the next five years we will see a lot of office, condo units going up in this area. It's sort of like Atlanta's Buckhead/ Peachtree road area location wise, except with less land to build on. I would like to see the stretch form Brookwood to Samford build up with dense mixed use. I think it would help 280 congestion, the Lakeshore stretch is so valuable because of its easy access to everywhere, especially downtown.

• 1 month later...

I figured it was going to either be Westin or J.W. Marriott type of 4-5 star hotel. That would a great addition to Brookwood because it is very much evolving into an upscale retail destination. I hope that they can land upper end retailers like Gucci, Prada, Tiffany, or along those likes with the retail additions with mixed-used project being built on the other end of the center.

Well... I love the Westin name. Will be good to have one in the city... currently Huntsville is having one built, but I think that's the only other in Alabama right now. I hope this doesn't mean Westin ultimately never builds in downtown Birmingham, but that may be the case at this point.

I'm glad to see more high end hotels within the area, they are desperately needed. With all of the development around Brookwood and the office space all along 280, the hotel is needed, but I would have preferred to see something like this built around UAB or downtown. As mentioned, if the downtown Westin deal wasn't dead already, it sure will be now :(

I'm glad to see more high end hotels within the area, they are desperately needed. With all of the development around Brookwood and the office space all along 280, the hotel is needed, but I would have preferred to see something like this built around UAB or downtown. As mentioned, if the downtown Westin deal wasn't dead already, it sure will be now :(

I would still love to get the large Westin downtown, but I don't see that as likely. For one thing, the Board of Education can't seem to get their junk together on this deal. And secondly, Westin doesn't do multiple hotels in many cities... and certainly not multiple Westins in a city the size of Birmingham. Hope I'm wrong though.

I could definitely see Westin still having a flagged hotel in downtown Birmingham. You have to understand, when it comes to hotels, it's not about the size of the city where it will be located so much as it's about the travel patterns of people to the city. Westin would be a great addition downtown for the business client that is in town for something as it would be one of the only truly upscale hotels downtown that has a nationwide presence. Sure, Sheraton has a nationwide presence but it's definitely not on the same level as Westin (granted the chains are both owned by Starwood).

There was also talk at one time of a new aLoft Hotel (by Starwood) as well in downtown Homewood.

It's all about the travel demographic and if there's still a demand (which there obviously is to some extent downtown), then Westin could still be a viable option. There is already the new Courtyard at UAB, the upcoming Residence Inn by Marriott on 20th and the remodel of The Pickwick into a more boutique style hotel.

One of downtown Birminghams many historic buildings / hotels could make a great Westin, like the one in Greenville, SC (photo below). What brand is The Redmont now? It could be totally renovated into a top notch Westin. Last time I was in the Redmont, it needed some work.

CIMG6215.jpg

I figured it was going to either be Westin or J.W. Marriott type of 4-5 star hotel. That would a great addition to Brookwood because it is very much evolving into an upscale retail destination. I hope that they can land upper end retailers like Gucci, Prada, Tiffany, or along those likes with the retail additions with mixed-used project being built on the other end of the center.

LVs within Saks are probably around 600 square feet which wouldn't count as a freestanding boutique nor would it be included in a store listing/directory. A city or location would not be able to boast having an LV if it is only within a department store. Otherwise, any city with a Neimans would be able to boast Chanel, Dolce, Versace, among others to lure luxury retailers there. A small 600 sq ft. squared off section of Saks thats labeled as LV cannot show whether or not a 2000 sq ft freestanding LV could survive in the region.

Archived