Brookwood Village

kayman

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

Massive in the sense that it is new to Birmingham, were not talking 40 story tower, were not Atlanta, but that land parcel is bigger than you think. Drive around that huge unused parking lot some day and you will see. The entire strip center will be removed front and back side not just Brunos side. Of course the parking structures will be located under the mid rise yes probably under 10 stories. The thing that shocked me was there are multiple mid rises planned, that's why this is seen as massive project. And if you look at the property there is plenty of room for about four buildings.

I find it kinda ironic that Saks has been able to stay opened since The Summit opened in 1997, right? Well, Birmingham must be doing just enough to keep the store open for this long. I thought that the store was doing fine. Perhaps when Parisians change to Belk, Saks will get more of the shoppers that don't like Belk enough to shop there. Also, I don't see why everyone is wanting Nordstrom to come, yet can't even support Saks. What will Birmingham do with two underperforming, ultra-luxury department stores.

Saks opened in the 2nd phase of the Summit. I don't know if it has been here since 97, but good point though it is still here and must be doing ok. Nordstrom is better than Parisian in a sense that it caters to a little bit younger more stylish crowd than Parisian. Parisian is really more traditional. Here 's my weird analogy, how I see it Nordstrom would do a huge business in Birmingham. I think the Whole Foods type crowd would support it, and Whole Foods is doing triple the business they were expecting. But If Bayer Properties can't get Nordstrom here nobody can. I'm not obsessed with Nordstrom, I don't even shop there but I just hate to see people drive to ATL to do so.

Saks opened in the 2nd phase of the Summit. I don't know if it has been here since 97, but good point though it is still here and must be doing ok. Nordstrom is better than Parisian in a sense that it caters to a little bit younger more stylish crowd than Parisian. Parisian is really more traditional. Here 's my weird analogy, how I see it Nordstrom would do a huge business in Birmingham. I think the Whole Foods type crowd would support it, and Whole Foods is doing triple the business they were expecting. But If Bayer Properties can't get Nordstrom here nobody can. I'm not obsessed with Nordstrom, I don't even shop there but I just hate to see people drive to ATL to do so.

You are right, I just found out that the store has been opened since 2001. I don't like knowing that people drive to Atlanta to shop at Nordstrom. I am sure that other people in Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi(lol, maybe) drive there to shop at Nordstrom as well. I think that this is an indication that it is time for Birmingham to get one. I am suprised that Nashville doesn't have a some of those high-end retailers as it seems like they would have. Birmingham retail is catching up (or already have) with Nashville...just a side note.

Actually it is the other way around, Nashville is just catching up with Birmingham. We have had some upper-end retailers since The Summit opened in 1997, while Nashville is just not embarking on upper end retailers with the recent renovations of The Mall at Green Hills.

Well, Nashville is catching up with us ONLY in that respect, lol. Nashville is ages ahead of Birmingham in every other facet!

I used to shop at Nordstrom in Denver, and the things I looked for weren't nearly as expensive as Saks, which I think is keeping a lot of people out of Saks. Nordstrom caters to a broader audience, in my opinion.

You are right, I just found out that the store has been opened since 2001. I don't like knowing that people drive to Atlanta to shop at Nordstrom. I am sure that other people in Alabama, Tennessee and Mississippi(lol, maybe) drive there to shop at Nordstrom as well. I think that this is an indication that it is time for Birmingham to get one. I am suprised that Nashville doesn't have a some of those high-end retailers as it seems like they would have. Birmingham retail is catching up (or already have) with Nashville...just a side note.

Welcome shekelmeisterMan!

However, unlike Memphis we will no longer have a dominating department store chain once Parisian converts over to Belk. Belk will be survive here, but I highly doubt they will be controlling the segment that Parisian had. Most of those folks are dispersing towards other chains and stores.

Although still dominates the area's grocery market, Wal-Mart in recent months has been starting to loose control of some of the major share to Publix and Target to an extent. So there is a possibility for a chain like Nordstrom to encroach into this market.

I think Nashville is about to catch up. I'm surprised some things haven't appeared earlier, but with all the high-end boutiques, maybe department stores just haven't been necessary (for the jet set, anyway). Latest rumors at Green Hills have them buying up adjacent property and adding both a Nordstrom and a Neiman-Marcus. Today, Green Hills announced a free-standing Fiandaca (Palm Springs, New York, Boston, and now, uh, us?) Oh well, I'm not much up on my $6000 dollar gowns, but the designer seems fit to open a boutique for the loyal Nashville shoppers).

Who knows, we're learning around here to take everything with a grain of salt, but it sure seems to be happening all over town.

I'll stick with Marshalls and TJMaxx...but for the folks with money, I guess they need more places to spend it. Should make for some interesting window shopping.

• 8 months later...

Archived