The Edge

bluff2085

Memphis Daily News

A new residential development is on the boards for the Edge district. Here's a pic:

EdgeCondos.jpg

The project will be on Union across the street from the Commercial Appeal building. Hopefully this will be one of many new residential developments that will be announced for the Edge/Medical Center area in anticipation of the Med Center's transformation.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed construction happening on Monroe behind Coleman-Taylor. Also, the street in the rendering looks like Monroe, nothing like Union. Facing east down Monroe.

The architecture does look brutal, but the blandness of the visualization doesn't help. You have the great Memphis summer sky above, but the foreground is lit like a dull overcast day. Monroe and the Edge have more character than that.

Well we should all be grateful that that area is getting any development. It desperately needs it. I have also wondered why the Edge neighborhood doesn't try to create a huge tourist stop surrounding Sun Studios.... I always see aimless tourists wondering from downtown east on union encountering bums and trash littered streets walking along boarded up businesses. You would think someone would want to capitalize on this, instead of showing them the bad side of our city. What can be done to make this area more visitor friendly and less auto-centric?

Well we should all be grateful that that area is getting any development. It desperately needs it. I have also wondered why the Edge neighborhood doesn't try to create a huge tourist stop surrounding Sun Studios.... I always see aimless tourists wondering from downtown east on union encountering bums and trash littered streets walking along boarded up businesses. You would think someone would want to capitalize on this, instead of showing them the bad side of our city. What can be done to make this area more visitor friendly and less auto-centric?

I should clarify my last comment. I thought the visualization didn't do justice to the character of the Edge, not the architecture itself. Once built and part of that street, the development will add life to an often desolate area and the street's funkiness will soften the brutal edges.

I think it's great they're building in that area.

Archived