Smith Hill wants retail

Cotuit

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know the deal with the old ValueLand store on Smith Street? I hear that PC bought the derelict store and huge parking lot for like $1.25M, couldn't make it work for their plans, so put it back on the block for like $2.5M. Any truth to it? And are there any other abandoned sites (Apex-like stores; mini malls, etc) like this out there?

here's what i've heard... PC wanted to use the property for sports fields. the land has a lot of toxic waste that would've needed to be cleaned up before converting to sports fields. the college doesn't have the money to spend on that as it would've added a lot of extra cost. so they put it back up for sale. it's possible that the value of the property did increase, but i am not sure what exactly they're trying to sell it for. i do know they did use the property as a parking lot of the construction workers when they built the new dorm and academic building that were completed about a year or so ago.

• 1 month later...

Wow! In 3 weeks, the Tim Horton's site on Douglas went from an abandoned lot to a fully-constructed building! Imagine if all development in this city went that quickly after they attained the final permits. Also, the Irish-bar-illegal gambling parlor-Mafia holdout next door to this site that mysteriously burned in a fire last month is undergoing new construction and renovation.....Hmm :unsure:

Wow! In 3 weeks, the Tim Horton's site on Douglas went from an abandoned lot to a fully-constructed building! Imagine if all development in this city went that quickly after they attained the final permits. Also, the Irish-bar-illegal gambling parlor-Mafia holdout next door to this site that mysteriously burned in a fire last month is undergoing new construction and renovation.....Hmm :unsure:

Jerry, our man on Smith Hill! :thumbsup: Do you know how the bed & breakfasts that are on Brownell/Common St are doing?

Jerry, our man on Smith Hill! :thumbsup: Do you know how the bed & breakfasts that are on Brownell/Common St are doing?

I don't know. I would imagine they're doing just fine. They attract parents of college students attending PC. If I'm walking around , I get people asking me directions. If it's not PP Mall, it's the bed & breakfast.

Tim Horton's built right to the street with this building too. Although there will be surface parking, Douglas is poised to look a lot better as this site has been a trash-strewn lot for well over 15 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Douglas Ave. Capitol Something-or-other. Affordable 1-3 bedrooms running $180k-260k(?).

Its an excellent mixed-use building. Storefronts on the street, two floors of condos above. Donald Powers is the architect. I have seen several renderings and it is a really high quality design. Developer is Smith Hill Community Development Corporation.

Its an excellent mixed-use building. Storefronts on the street, two floors of condos above. Donald Powers is the architect. I have seen several renderings and it is a really high quality design. Developer is Smith Hill Community Development Corporation.

I started a thread about it here.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Although I'm glad to see that this business is actually expanding, I've always wished for the building that they're expanding into to be turned into a rave club. The building and location would have been perfect and Providence definitely needs a good rave venue within reasonable walking distance to hotels. I suppose this is a good move forward though, Bath street has a lot of potential (IMHO) and seeing this building reused for any purpose instead of being torn down makes me breathe a little easier.

• 3 months later...

interesting that that is only 22K square feet. I wonder, with the parking, if it will go before the CPC.

also interesting is that tidbit about PriceRite and eagle square. I cannot fathom for one instant how they will afford the lease on that property. I sure hope the city isn't subsidizing this in any way... an earlier quote on this issue said that they were not going to subdivide the space so...what's changed?

Good news on Aldi, though I wish I could walk to Smith Hill because I'd really like to use that store, but the Dean Street Expressway sits between me and Smith Hill. :(

This whole Eagle Square Pricerite thing is just weird.

Price-Rite Supermarket is expected to move from Olneyville Square to Eagle Square to replace the Eagle Square Shaw

Archived