Triangle Emerging as Center for Video Game Development

DanRNC

The Triangle has always been known for its biotech/life science/pharma and computer industries but it is also becoming a major player in video game development. This emerging industry would be a great addition to the downtown business sector in either downtown Raleigh or Durham. There was a post earlier regarding this topic but I couldn't find it. It mentioned a number of companies relocating to the area.

Also, the newest Xbox blockbuster "Gears of War" was developed here by a fellow named Cliffy B. I think he may have posted on here before.

Story

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool! This would be a great niche industry for a DT area. They don't need much space, and you'd think an old warehouse in a funky location with bars and restaurants nearby would be just the spot. Where is Tom Red Storm company located now? I used to work next to them out near the airport.

I found an old article from TBJ about Destineer locating in Raleigh.

Epic Games is another company (the Gears of War developer) plus there are quite a few others. Definitely another unique industry to the area. I think Wake Tech and NCSU have programs in video game development. I actually don't even play these games but the graphics are unbelievable. A lot better than Pong or Space Invaders.

I know Red Storm, which was later acquired by Ubi Soft, home of the Tom Clancy games Spliner Cell, Rainbow 6, etc., used to be in Morrisville across from the Outlet Mall, but I don't know if they're still there.

There was a game devlopment office in 510 Glenwood that did a console Batman game I think.

Bill Steely's Interactive Magic just did the video game for that Flyboys movie, though that kind of went over like a led zepplin...

Following Tom Clancy's lead, Michael Crichton started a game company in the area to coinside with

his book Timeline but I think they haven't done anything since.

I was hoping for an Xbox360/Gears of War bundle, similar to the one in Japan for Blue Oddessy, but that isn't going to happen. If PS3 and Nintendo's Wii had more hardware units to ship, Microsoft would have had to do a price cut, so now I have to wait till after christmas and hope for the best... I'll probably keep my gaming to the DS (pre-Lite) until I can afford a HD TV, though Gears of War, xbox live arcade, and "bargain" first generation games (well, Project Gotham 3 and table tennis) are tempting.

The GoW commercial with the Donnie Darko version of Tears For Fears' "Mad World" is well done, and the game itself has been well reviewed.

Congrats Cliffy B!

I didn't know there was a cell phone game company in Two Hannover, but they are

bringing Bernie Stolar on board.

He has an extensive career in videogames, hired as a consultant "rightsize/fix" the company. Layoffs are a lot more likely than hiring, so I'm not going to try to get a job there. This quote is interesting...

One thing is for sure. Oasys will be moving out of its offices downtown to find a cheaper space with a funkier atmosphere.

"I think this looks like an insurance office," he said of the space in Two Hannover Square in Raleigh. "I want something a little more open."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Cool! This would be a great niche industry for a DT area. They don't need much space, and you'd think an old warehouse in a funky location with bars and restaurants nearby would be just the spot. Where is Tom Red Storm company located now? I used to work next to them out near the airport.

• 3 months later...

The N&O reported that Chapel Hill-based Vicious Cycle Software was recently purchased by D3Publisher.

I have recently developed a bad Puzzle Quest addiction on the Nintendo DS. My wife growls when I play during the daily show/colbert report. I didn't know they were based locally. A game website said they are working on a sci-fi based RPG/puzzle mashup, based on Puzzle quest's success, but that won't be out for a while.

It sounds like they will be autonomous, and hopefully the purchase will give them the capital to make more games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I heard an ad on 96 Rock this afternoon for a video game job fair in Cary on Saturday the 17th from 10-5. In a possibly/probably related note, I found a WRAL story from last month that said Electronic Arts is opening a studio in Morrisville. It will develop games for EA's NASCAR (insert year here) franchise, starting with the PS2 version for next summer, then next generation for the year after that. The studio that makes those games now, Tiburon in Orlando, has more than its hands full with EA's more obscure franchises, based on American tackle football at the professional and division one varsity school levels. :silly:

The move is pretty good, combining the emerging game culture in RTP with close access to most of the NASCAR teams north of Charlotte.

I hope this isn't a ploy to acquire Epic games! EA has bought several game development studios in the last few years -- Bioware (Balder's Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect), Pandemic (Mercanaries), Mythic (Dark Age of Camelot), etc.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

A new N&O article covers the growing gaming industry here. The article highlights the Triangle Game Conference to be held at the RCC this week. The Triangle is now home to 30 gaming companies, employing 1200 people, and the Raleigh Chamber sends reps to national gaming conferences to highlight the area's growing reputation.

If anyone attends, tell us how it goes.

Archived