Washington, DC

Los Angeles

Chicago

Minneapolis

Boston

San Francisco

Portland

New Orleans

Most unique? I think it was Vienna in which the train was not very deep into the ground. While riding it I kept thinking they must have built it through peoples basements.

• 4 weeks later...

I have ridden:

In the US,

-Metro, Washington DC

-"L", Chicago

-Marta, Altanta

I may have ridden BART when I was little, but I don't remember for sure.

In Japan,

-Sapporo

-Tokyo (both Toei and Eidan/Metro)

-Yokohama

-Hiroshima

-Fukuoka

In South Korea,

-Busan

-Seoul

I was impressed with Tokyo - but I'd always heard about how amazing Tokyo's subway was. Seoul, on the other hand, I knew nothing about- but I found it to be nearly as comprehensive as Tokyo, just as clean, just as modern, less crowded, and a lot cheaper.

As far as the "cool" factor is concerned, I love the station designs in DC, and the dramatic lighting is neat. It's not often that 1960s "futurism" still looks fresh and attractive today, but DC's metro succeeds spectacularly.

But, if I could time travel back to 1965 when the system was being planned, and be magically put in charge of the process, I would have done it differently. I would have gladly chosen lower ceilings, narrower tunnels, simpler architecture - if it meant building more stations or more and longer lines. The idea that transit systems must be "architecturally inspiring" increases the construction budget dramatically - and is, I believe, a huge reason why building transit and subways in the US is so freaking hard. Rather than fussing over artistic details, Build frugally: simple, tidy, and above all practical - and then you might even win over some of the conservatives who love to hate transit so much.

I have been on NJ transit from Newark to NYC. NYC from lower Manhatten to Harlem. I have also rode heavy rail from New Haven CT and transferred at Grand Central Station to Jersey City. Hiroo station to Tokyo Disney. The trains in Tokyo are the way to to go...always on time clean and quite. Also hiroo to Roppongi in Tokyo. I have rode the tube in London. We did a big cirlce stopping at every other stop to take a look around.

Cool Thread

The Americas:

NYC

Boston

Montreal

Toronto

Los Angeles

Buenos Aires

San Francisco

Europe:

Amsterdam

Berlin

Brussels

Budapest

Copenhagen

Helsinki

Cologne

Lisbon

London

Madrid

Munich

Oslo

Paris

Prague

Stockholm

Vienna

Asia:

Hiroshima

Hong Kong

Kuala Lumpur

Kyoto

Osaka

Singapore

Tokyo

NYC

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Boston

Washington DC

Berlin

Paris

Frankfurt

Munich

Cologne

Warsaw (the inter city train sort of went into a subway-like tunnel on its way to the main station, im not sure if that counts)

It's a lot less than I thought :( I love subways. For 3 days in Paris I rode 11 out of 14 lines several times each. Berlin too. I loved the "communism is the new retro" station rennovations in East Berlin. I hated people taking their dogs through the old pedestrian tunnels in Paris during rush hour, with smeared results. Old subways are the most fun for tourism, new ones are best for commuting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Philadelphia

Boston

New York

Washington

Pittsburgh

Chicago

San Francisco

Rome

Paris

London

Montreal

Toronto

As for commuter rail

Philadelphia has an extensive system

NJ Transit to NY and AC

Also commuter rail in Bologna, Italy

One trip on a Paris commuter rail line.

• 2 weeks later...

Subway/HeavyRail/Elevated Rail:

Madrid

Barcelona

New York City

Atlanta

San Francisco BART

San Juan

Miami

Light Rail & People Movers:

Denver

Dallas

San Francisco Muni

Denver Airport

San Francisco Airport

Miami Airport

Miami People Mover

Atlanta Airport

Disney Monorail (does it even count???) ;)

Cincinnatti Airport

Dallas Airport

Archived