DC

Paris Metro & the TGV

London Tube

Atlanta MARTA > Internal Trains at Hartsfield Int'l

Disney World Monorail

Various Ferries in the Outer Banks

St. John's River Ferry in Mayport, FL

I have been On

ATL MARTA (worst system ever for heavy rail)

Chicago (wonderful but smells very bad)

Denver

I have been On

ATL MARTA (worst system ever for heavy rail)

Chicago (wonderful but smells very bad)

Denver

Why is everyone so down on Atlanta's MARTA? When I'm there, it gets me where I want to go; takes you from the airport to the Center of town, Buckhead, Arts Center, Midtown (up 'n coming/Margaret Mitchell hse, etc.), CNN, Georgia Tech, the Stadia, ect... It's heavy rail and they even, now, have TV's on some new cars.

So why all the MARTA hate? I don't get it...

Why is everyone so down on Atlanta's MARTA? When I'm there, it gets me where I want to go; takes you from the airport to the Center of town, Buckhead, Arts Center, Midtown (up 'n coming/Margaret Mitchell hse, etc.), CNN, Georgia Tech, the Stadia, ect... It's heavy rail and they even, now, have TV's on some new cars.

So why all the MARTA hate? I don't get it...

MARTA does go to a lot of major destinations, but the problem is it doesn't really go a lot of places that people live. A lot of it is not MARTA's fault so much as that of Atlanta's development patterns. The East-West line runs along a few residential neighborhoods, and once the North/South one gets into Buckhead or so it's vaguely residential, but too often the stations are sort of set off like islands from the center of the action. The station at Lakewood seems basically in the middle of nowhere despite being right near Fort McPherson, the ones through Brookhaven, Doraville, etc. are basically commuter stations with nothing much interesting nearby. Dunwoody, Sandy Springs etc. are near employment centers but not very much high-density residences, and those that exist don't encourage walking/transit, they're more like complexes on suburban divided highways. Maybe the real question is, why haven't things developed better around the stations, which would make it a much more practical system, but it's a chicken-or-the-egg thing. So MARTA is great for people living near the stations -- i.e., people at hotels downtown, essentially.

Until the stigma against public transportation in general recedes, I don't know how successful MARTA can be. The Beltline will probably help, as it seems to be promoting a sort of bourgeois image, whereas the general attitude about MARTA is that you would only ride it if you had to.

MARTA, NYC, Paris Metro, Portland (not a subway), BART, Boston, Seoul

MARTA is lousy to me. Many of the lines were not designed with TOD land uses in mind. One of the the Buckhead stations has a HUGE parking deck and seemingly very few walkable destinations nearby.

NYC and Paris have the best I've been on by far. Incredibly extensive lines going almost everywhere one could want. I've heard the same about London. I'll have to check that one out soon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cheated a little on this. I've rode some form of transit in each of these cities though

amsterdam.gifAmsterdam

atlanta.gifAtlanta

berlin-s.gifberlin-u.gif Berlin, Hamburg and Munich

boston.gifBoston

brussels-1.gifBrussels

copenhagen-s.gifCopenhagen

london-1.gifLondon

new-york.gifNYC

paris.gifparis-rer.gif Paris

philadelphia.gifPhiladelphia

rome.gifRome

washington.gifWashington, DC

I've also been on a handful of other light rail, commuter rail and subway lines mostly in the NE USA. So there you have it :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Europe is cheating, its too easy :-p

London

Liverpool (counts?)

Glasgow

Newcastle (counts?)

Paris

Tolouse

Berlin

Lausanne

Barcelona