Cherry Neighborhood Projects and Gentrification Issues

Miesian Corners

They are building a 2-level parking deck for the old (but just renovated) office building at Kings and Baxter. 

Per the title, there is a new construction home on Luther that just was listed on MLS, and the agent listed the neighborhood as Myers Park....sigh.

They are building a 2-level parking deck for the old (but just renovated) office building at Kings and Baxter. 

Per the title, there is a new construction home on Luther that just was listed on MLS, and the agent listed the neighborhood as Myers Park....sigh.

Kind of like how Forest Park is now either Dilworth or Myers Park. I love how realtors manufacture faux reality.

• Like 1

Kind of like how Forest Park is now either Dilworth or Myers Park. I love how realtors manufacture faux reality.

I do not know the house in question, but it might not be so much of a stretch depending on where it is located.  I recalled that the Myers Park National Register Historic District includes some part of Luther.  

http://charmeck.org/maps/Documents/More-printable-Maps/Historic/MyersParkHistoric.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The O's on the scene:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/02/4583312/high-end-housing-moves-into-cherry.html#.UscGQ_RDt1Y

Toward the article's point, I'm kind of amazed at all the new houses going up right now, not to mention their prices.

Does anyone know the details of the "neighborhood community organization that bought more than 100 homes in the 1970s slowly allowed them to decay"?

Does anyone know the details of the "neighborhood community organization that bought more than 100 homes in the 1970s slowly allowed them to decay"?

Same sort of thing happened up here on Statesville Ave between I-85 and La Salle. Some guy dressed in a suite came by our business asking us if we'd like to donate some of our land to such and such community organization affiliated with the church behind us. I started asking around, and it seems he had been successful in strong arming some of the locals who had owned their homes forever into selling their property to him. He told them things like, you're land is soon to be condemned by the city and I'm your best hope. He told the church all kinds of lies and got in good with the ex (crooked preacher). I had neighbors calling me up asking if they had to sell their homes to this guy. Of course I told them to chase him away. Most in the neighborhood did, but many didn't before word got around. As a result, you can see a lot of vacant lots where there used to be homes. The guy coming around pushing everyone to sell eventually died. It's been quiet since then. He called his company something like "American Investment Company". 

I feel like the full story has been relayed 1 or 2 times on here....I'll try to post a link the thread if I can find it this weekend.  It wasn't for investment, it was to keep the gentrification out.  The characterization of slowly allowing them to decay is a little harsh on the motives, but probably accurate on the end effect. 

^ that summary sounds right to me too.

The neighborhood association's concerns about gentrification were well articulated enough to get a substantial contribution from BoA / Hugh McColl IRRC.

The story is told in Chapter 5 of this book (and somewhere on UP as well):

http://www.amazon.com/Charlotte-NC-Global-Evolution-South/dp/0820343080/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388791894&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Charlotte+NC+globalizing+city

Now this will be very interesting to most of you people. 

A new rezoning has come online for this entire area below. When I saw 7 acres in Cherry I was hoping it was the subsidized housing, but I mapped it out.

CherryRezoning_zpsc4e7acff.jpg

Unfortunately the Rezoning is password protected, which I've never seen before... HMMMMM

So its being rezoning U2-SPA. Which means Urban Residential - 2 Site Plan Amendment. All that really means is you can build townhomes and bungalows, etc.

Can anyone shed any light on this/ Have more information?

Wow! That is very interesting, thanks. The rezoning is requested by Stonehunt LLC, which was behind the original massive Cherry redevelopment project from a while back.

Sort of related news: they just tore down one of the decrepit buildings in the upper left section of that area, but that's because there was a fire in one of the units.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I live right around the corner and drive through Torrence or Baxter often. From our first days in the neighborhood, I had this feeling that Cherry was going to blow up. Maybe not like NoDa or anything, but being so close to Uptown and the Met...

I look forward to hearing more on this. I'll snap some pictures of development as it progresses and share whenever I can. :)

Edited by gill2003

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I read the rezoning application, the requested SPA results in a reduction in density. Dropping from some 60 plus townhomes to 43 or so houses, of which two are duplexes.  Seems like a good fit and spot on the requirements of the recently approved "Morehead/Midtown/Cherry Small Area Plan".  As best I can tell, there are no single family homes being demolished as a part of this plan.  Despite being a large area, it appears that nearly all of the land is vacant with the exception of some 1950's duplexes that are not in any way indicative of the  period housing in the area; housing that some residents would like to see recognized as part of a Local Historic District currently being promoted as a possibility.  Sadly, it seems that period bungalows are razed nearly every week by the builders already at work in the area where no rezoning is required.