Cherry Neighborhood Projects and Gentrification Issues

Miesian Corners

• 1 month later...

The rezoning sign in Cherry has a giant "NO" spray painted across it.  Maybe i'm just misinterpreting it, but I'm of the impression that some of the residents aren't happy about the upcoming changes in that neighborhood.

The photo in the article linked by mad_park above suggests (again) that the observer is likely lurking (or contributing) here.....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/05/15/4912684/cherry-rezoning-stires-old-fears.html#.U3Y5mFdL15o

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don't know what this is but it's going up along Baxter at Cherry Streets: 

DSC00413_zps4b997d31.jpg

Its a parking Deck for Midtown Centre. 

These people http://urbandesignpartners.com are going to put an office building at the corner of Baxter and Kings, so they need more parking over there. Not sure why I've never mentioned it.

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...

I've been wondering what's going on with that medical building at Torrence and 3rd Street--they recently put a fireplace outside, which seems odd for a medical building. Today we discovered that Firehouse Subs lists a new Midtown location at 1500 E 3rd Street as "coming soon".

http://locations.firehousesubs.com/locations

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like this will be 43 homes.  39 SF from the 400's to the 600's and 2 duplexes housing four affordable units priced well below $200K.  Virgate 1, LLC is listed as the owner.  

Saussy Burbank is the builder and they will be starting with 5 homes in their first phase.  

Plat maps show six lots in the first phase, bounded by Avant, Main and Baxter.  That parcel has been cleared, recently and is staked for footings.  Saussy will build 3 homes initially, a model and two specs.

They build great houses and this should be good for the area as they will be a nice transition over to Myers Park.

Saussy Burbank sounds like a middle-aged women's clothing department store.

I forget where the Saussy part of the name comes from, but the company was started in Charlotte by 2 Dilworth architects who wanted to start their own company and design/build houses in a different way. They have since sold the company to a much larger homebuilder although I think at least Burbank (Jim I think) is still involved in the company. Back when they were local, they built a great house (and they may still...just no recent experience with them). With all that said, it is a funny name. Take all that with a grain of salt...I read all that 14-15 years ago and may have gotten some of it slightly wrong.

I forget where the Saussy part of the name comes from, but the company was started in Charlotte by 2 Dilworth architects who wanted to start their own company and design/build houses in a different way. They have since sold the company to a much larger homebuilder although I think at least Burbank (Jim I think) is still involved in the company. Back when they were local, they built a great house (and they may still...just no recent experience with them). With all that said, it is a funny name. Take all that with a grain of salt...I read all that 14-15 years ago and may have gotten some of it slightly wrong.

Jim Burbank's early partner was Downie Saussy.  They sold to St.Joe/Arvida.  Jim Burbank, supported by local capital later bought the company back from the St. Joe Company.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Community meeting next week for this:

The Charlotte Housing Authority (CHA), and its development arm--Horizon Development Properties--is proposing a complete redevelopment of the Tall Oaks community located in the Cherry neighborhood. Currently, Tall Oaks consists of 52 public housing units on scattered sites throughout the Cherry neighborhood, including Amherst Place, Baxter Street, Cherry Street, First Street, Luther Street, and Main Street. The new development is being proposed to include 64-88 public and/or subsidized housing units and 225-235 workforce housing units.

What are "workforce housing units"? 

Community meeting next week for this:

The Charlotte Housing Authority (CHA), and its development arm--Horizon Development Properties--is proposing a complete redevelopment of the Tall Oaks community located in the Cherry neighborhood. Currently, Tall Oaks consists of 52 public housing units on scattered sites throughout the Cherry neighborhood, including Amherst Place, Baxter Street, Cherry Street, First Street, Luther Street, and Main Street. The new development is being proposed to include 64-88 public and/or subsidized housing units and 225-235 workforce housing units.

What are "workforce housing units"? 

Workforce housing is generally understood to mean affordable housing for households with earned income that is insufficient to secure quality housing in reasonable proximity to the workplace.

From Wikipedia.

Workforce housing is generally understood to mean affordable housing for households with earned income that is insufficient to secure quality housing in reasonable proximity to the workplace.

From Wikipedia.

I should have been more precise with my question--what's the difference between workforce housing and subsidized housing?