Cherry Neighborhood Projects and Gentrification Issues

Miesian Corners

^ To some degree, in Charlotte,  every-bit of "workforce housing" receives direct subsidy.

In other, very high-cost areas, such as Boston, NYC, Silicon Valley, etc, workforce housing can either be enticed through density bonuses, or mandated through restrictive entitlements.

^ To some degree, in Charlotte,  every-bit of "workforce housing" receives direct subsidy.

In other, very high-cost areas, such as Boston, NYC, Silicon Valley, etc, workforce housing can either be enticed through density bonuses, or mandated through restrictive entitlements.

More Cherry news. Cherry is going to look completely different by 2016 or 2017. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/11/30/5353075/charlotte-sells-cherry-land-for.html

I should have been more precise with my question--what's the difference between workforce housing and subsidized housing?

I am not saying this is the official difference between the two designations, but in my mind workforce housing is for policemen, nurses, teachers and other professionals who are not paid enough to be able to afford to live in certain areas. Subsidized housing has a more negative connotation to me (ie: people who don't work or people who have stayed in entry level jobs well into adulthood).

Oftentimes what I consider workforce housing is used to lure professionals to live in certain areas because they provide a stabilizing effect on a neighborhood. I may have the names of these programs confused, but the idea is sound.

I am not saying this is the official difference between the two designations, but in my mind workforce housing is for policemen, nurses, teachers and other professionals who are not paid enough to be able to afford to live in certain areas. Subsidized housing has a more negative connotation to me (ie: people who don't work or people who have stayed in entry level jobs well into adulthood).

Oftentimes what I consider workforce housing is used to lure professionals to live in certain areas because they provide a stabilizing effect on a neighborhood. I may have the names of these programs confused, but the idea is sound.

Except that is rarely who lives in these areas.

It's just income restricted housing rather than voucher housing. This is mostly what Seigle Point is and I can say from experience living there than it is almost exclusively single parent households with a mostly homogeneous makeup. You do have to have a job to live there, but I don't think there are many nurses, police officers, teachers, etc living there.

I lived in income restricted housing in Silver Spring, MD too (because apparently $50,000/yr in MD means you're poor) and it was almost exclusively immigrants from Africa working retail jobs. I know this because I'd see the same people in my building working in the 7/11's, restaurants, and stores around my apartment building.

I've been wondering what's going on with that medical building at Torrence and 3rd Street--they recently put a fireplace outside, which seems odd for a medical building. Today we discovered that Firehouse Subs lists a new Midtown location at 1500 E 3rd Street as "coming soon".

http://locations.firehousesubs.com/locations

Nothing against Firehouse Subs, but I'm a bit disappointed. The building seems far too nice for a chain sandwich place. Hopefully they have a good beer list, with a patio like that.

Nothing against Firehouse Subs, but I'm a bit disappointed. The building seems far too nice for a chain sandwich place. Hopefully they have a good beer list, with a patio like that.

I don't think that chain serves alcohol at all. I'm guessing the building must be divided or the address is wrong because otherwise that would be a weirdly expensive renovation for a quick-order sub place. 

• 2 weeks later...

More development in Cherry, "Laurel Street Residential," multifamily project on Baxter. http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2015Petitions/Pages/2015-018.aspx

Yea there are actually two of them side by side. I heard about this about 2 weeks ago, and choses not to share because the site plan is putrid. So Suburban.

• 1 month later...

I don't think that chain serves alcohol at all. I'm guessing the building must be divided or the address is wrong because otherwise that would be a weirdly expensive renovation for a quick-order sub place. 

Yeah I don't think it will be a Firehouse subs at 1500 E 3rd St. It does look like an expensive renovation with all of the brick and masonry work. Looks like it will have a decent size outdoor covered patio area.

Yeah I don't think it will be a Firehouse subs at 1500 E 3rd St. It does look like an expensive renovation with all of the brick and masonry work. Looks like it will have a decent size outdoor covered patio area.

I just emailed the architect to see what it is. Interestingly enough it seems like 100% of their portfolio is Custom Homes.

I've been considering buying some real estate in the core of Cherry. There's a few empty lots scattered around. Area seems like a pretty good bet over the next 10+ years due to proximity.

I tried to buy a lot on Luther a few years ago and the buyer wanted cash only. A lot of the empty lots are already owned by developers, or by people that are crazy. Good hunting!

I've been considering buying some real estate in the core of Cherry. There's a few empty lots scattered around. Area seems like a pretty good bet over the next 10+ years due to proximity.

I also looked at lots on Waco st about 12 years ago thinking Cherry was a sure thing. A quick check of Zillow (admittedly not the best gauge) shows that I would not have made a dime had I bought.

Update on this, It will not be a Firehouse subs, it will be a upscale Southern Restaurant and Office Space. 

Community meeting next week for this:

The Charlotte Housing Authority (CHA), and its development arm--Horizon Development Properties--is proposing a complete redevelopment of the Tall Oaks community located in the Cherry neighborhood. Currently, Tall Oaks consists of 52 public housing units on scattered sites throughout the Cherry neighborhood, including Amherst Place, Baxter Street, Cherry Street, First Street, Luther Street, and Main Street. The new development is being proposed to include 64-88 public and/or subsidized housing units and 225-235 workforce housing units.

Here's the petition page for this one:

http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2015Petitions/Pages/2015-027.aspx

It looks like they want to put a couple hundred units on the three-acre parcel which currently has, I think, 32 units. 

Edited by Vitamin_N

Read this today.  A rare proposal for a strategy to combat gentrification and its ill effects:

http://marketurbanism.com/2015/01/27/gentrification-in-reverse/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MarketUrbanism+%28Market+Urbanism%29

"Filtering"

Edited by archiham04

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...