Cherry Neighborhood Projects and Gentrification Issues

Miesian Corners

• 3 weeks later...

I've been wondering what's going on with that medical building at Torrence and 3rd Street--they recently put a fireplace outside, which seems odd for a medical building. Today we discovered that Firehouse Subs lists a new Midtown location at 1500 E 3rd Street as "coming soon".

http://locations.firehousesubs.com/locations

The O reports that this location is getting a Walgreens (opening in 3 months) and a restaurant to be named later. Is it just me, or is 3,000 sq ft a little small for a Walgreens?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article35171100.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/14/2015 at 7:50 AM, Vitamin_N said:

The O reports that this location is getting a Walgreens (opening in 3 months) and a restaurant to be named later. Is it just me, or is 3,000 sq ft a little small for a Walgreens?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article35171100.html

The Walgreen's sign is finally up on the building and construction is in progress inside. I don't normally get excited about chain drugstores, but I'm just happy to have something in that building after so many years of nothing whatsoever.

Meanwhile the rest of it (I assume the future restaurant part?) remains an empty shell.

• 3 months later...
On March 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Vitamin_N said:

The Walgreen's sign is finally up on the building and construction is in progress inside. I don't normally get excited about chain drugstores, but I'm just happy to have something in that building after so many years of nothing whatsoever.

Meanwhile the rest of it (I assume the future restaurant part?) remains an empty shell.

According to Charlotte Agenda the restaurant will be called Desano Pizza Bakery. Exciting! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaAv8hjkNA/

On March 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Vitamin_N said:

Edited by CoffeeSamurai
Oops double quote!
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Cherry news round-up:

• You can pay over $700K for a new house in Cherry, and this isn't even for the ones right next to Queens Rd in Myers Park.
  • The Tall Oaks housing on Luther / Cherry streets has been torn down. The replacement is supposed to go up next year.
  • The World's Longest Renovation, taking place in that building at 3rd and Torrence for several years now, seems to have picked up steam again. There have been workers there for several weeks. The Observer wrote in June that Desano Pizza would open in September, so maybe we'll get an opening this spring? That patio looks really nice.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2016 at 7:20 AM, CoffeeSamurai said:

According to Charlotte Agenda the restaurant will be called Desano Pizza Bakery. Exciting! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaAv8hjkNA/

They still have a ways to go on the interior work, but the Desano Pizza sign is up! I can't believe this building will finally be fully occupied.

• 2 months later...

I believe the Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission intends to purchase this property from CMS.  They then plan to identify a developer/user and sell it to them with restrictive covenants in place that will prevent its demolition.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was posted by a housing advocate I follow that shows how "investors" target the most vulnerable people to get low prices on properties that have high turnover value:

Posted by Greg Jarrell:

I want you to see what is going on here:
1. The claim that we have code violations is a lie. I know this because we had a code inspector here one week ago to inspect following some repairs that required permits. This investment group knows this is a lie. They did not check code inspection records, only property ownership records. They are counting on recipients not to know that lying is part of their strategy.

2. Look at the return address in the second picture. The idea is to scare homeowners , so as to be able to take advantage of those in vulnerable positions.

3. The next step that follows a letter like this, once any leads are followed up, is to begin calling in possible code violations to the city, and then to target anybody they can report with even more aggressive tactics. And when one, even small violation is identified, I that opens the door to a complete inspection. This "investment" strategy attempts to find people in vulnerable, cash-strapped positions and to convince them to take the worst possible of the available options.
This strategy has been pursued for years in gentrifying neighborhoods, but it is hard to document because code enforcement calls can be made anonymously.

4. There is little recourse that I know of against such tactics, which is why we need to be aggressive and pro-active in educating and providing strong alternatives within targeted communities. The Charlotte Housing Justice Coalition has been advocating for such a position within the City of Charlotte staff.

5. By publishing his name and phone number and email on hundreds of letters, I assume that Douglas Walker would welcome your call regarding his deceitful business practices.

Code1.jpg

Code2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That is sneaky and  I have gotten many  offering to buy one of my rental homes cash as is.  

My aunt in Concord got a letter from someone saying they would buy her abandoned property and she was living it!  Granted she let the grass grow a little tall that week but she was upset.   I had a lady called me and almost cuss me out about a letter she received.  Problem was I did not send it but it came from the same UPS store store I have a box at she she saw the address and called me.  We talked and I told her I get these letters all the time and the new trick is to take a google street view photo and say we will buy this house as is.  Someone in these flip housing seminars  is encouraging this kind of letter and phone call marketing. 

Best advice is to just ignore such letters and any letter from the city comes in an official letter with the city of Charlotte logo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Interesting report on gentrification in Charlotte: https://www.law.umn.edu/sites/law.umn.edu/files/metro-files/charlotte_incomechange_report.pdf

From the University of Minnesota Institute of Metropolitan Opportunity: https://www.law.umn.edu/institute-metropolitan-opportunity/gentrification

Obligatory interesting map: https://myottetm.github.io/USMapBoxIMO/USLwDispConc.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
44 minutes ago, t_money said:

I dont get it?

Nothing to get really. Sign on left indicates the building is a recently active AME Zion Church. Sign on the right shows the parcel is now owned by a developer who does [teardown] design-build. 

I would bet the church will be gone in a month to be replaced by a $1.5 million house. Leaving just a handful of original Cherry structures in the neighborhood.

Edited by kermit

35 minutes ago, kermit said:

Nothing to get really. Sign on left indicates the building is a recently active AME Zion Church. Sign on the right shows the parcel is now owned by a developer who does [teardown] design-build. 

I would bet the church will be gone in a month to be replaced by a $1.5 million house. Leaving just a handful of original Cherry structures in the neighborhood.

I mean, the church is tax free, so gentrification shouldn't push them out due to raising tax rates. they likely owned the land and sold. Hopefully the church will build a new church. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, the church is tax free, so gentrification shouldn't push them out due to raising tax rates. they likely owned the land and sold. Hopefully the church will build a new church. 

Sure, but the same privilege did not apply to their congregation. Kinda hard to operate a church with nobody in the pews.

I didn’t intend to hold this up as a horrible tragedy that must be fought -- original Cherry is already gone.  I just saw it as a vivid signpost of neighborhood change.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, kermit said:

Sure, but the same privilege did not apply to their congregation. Kinda hard to operate a church with nobody in the pews.

I didn’t intend to hold this up as a horrible tragedy that must be fought. I just saw it as a vivid signpost of Cherry’s change.

Plenty of church properties getting converted as church attendance fades.

What does this mean?  Well, many churches sit on a great deal of land that doesn't get taxed and is only used a couple times a week for services.

Intensified land uses for residences or retail or office gets more measurable return out of the land (the original, non-renewable, god-granted capital asset), and gets it back on the tax rolls.

Edited by RANYC

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Funny how much more "community organizers" want to protest a highrise on an aging bank building 1/2 a mile outside Cherry versus a historic church inside Cherry.

Said organizers likely related to or married to the design-build developer...

21 hours ago, kermit said:

I moved into Cherry over a decade ago and my memory may be off but I don't think that place has been a church for as long as I've lived here. It may yet get torn down but I don't have any reason to believe it will be any time soon.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

I moved into Cherry over a decade ago and my memory may be off but I don't think that place has been a church for as long as I've lived here. It may yet get torn down but I don't have any reason to believe it will be any time soon.

Looks correct to me.  2001 is when an individual associated with that business purchased it according to property records ...so 20 years.  Back then, they would have been called urban pioneers.  Today, gentrifiers.  Matter of how "early" you are.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2021 at 10:52 AM, kermit said:

6 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

I also think that developer sign has been there since I moved to Charlotte 5 years ago.

Edit:

At least 2019 -

image.png.1be5a7f007279ea7922df5bde37e5b47.png

Edited by t_money