Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC)

yfreemark

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of all that other stuff, where can I find more schematics, plans, etc. for the new projects coming downtown?

This is the Economic & Employment Development Department of Durham's site for major projects:

http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/eed/projects.cfm

Downtown Durham Inc. has a few good pages with links:

http://www.downtowndurham.com/Downtown_Development.33.0.html

http://www.downtowndurham.com/Interactive_Maps.79.0.html

Yeah, I hope the Carolina will still be able to book shows.

Wow! Thats over 20% bigger than Memorial Auditorium.... I hope both places will be attract enough talent/acts/shows to support both.

http://www.raleighconvention.com/memorial.html

Another nice project to Downtown Durham. It will be nice to see future developments in Downtown Durham in the coming years - it has soooooo much potential and the scale of downtown is more human and there is some nice history in the core. If Downtown Durham had more to offer at night it would be great!

The Carolina Theater will probably still book the same type shows as now. I think the booking at the new Durham theater will be more adventurous than what is going on in Raleigh. Duke will also probably collaborate with them to bring shows too big for Baldwin or Page Auditoriums. For example, the Franz Ferdinand/Death Cab for Cutie show being held at Duke will sell out in about a minute in the current facilities. The larger facility will allow them to get more consistent booking for shows like this.

Yeah, I hope the Carolina will still be able to book shows.

I actually work there, and we're not too worried about this new theatre having a negative effect. A lot of the staff, myself included, thinks it can only help us out. Besides, they seat 2,800. We're 1,045 at full capacity. The kinds of artists/acts we book at the Carolina aren't really the type who play venues as big as DPAC will be.

I actually work there, and we're not too worried about this new theatre having a negative effect. A lot of the staff, myself included, thinks it can only help us out. Besides, they seat 2,800. We're 1,045 at full capacity. The kinds of artists/acts we book at the Carolina aren't really the type who play venues as big as DPAC will be.

I'm glad to hear that. The Carolina Theatre is a jewel. When I show Durham to my out of town guests, it's one thing that stands out the most (even more than American Tobacco and the Detention Center!).

I'm glad to hear that. The Carolina Theatre is a jewel. When I show Durham to my out of town guests, it's one thing that stands out the most (even more than American Tobacco and the Detention Center!).
I just wish they had shops on the bottom floor of the parking deck across the street; that really kills what could otherwise be a neat plaza area. I wonder whether provisions could be made to upfit the Durham Centre deck for retail?

I just wish they had shops on the bottom floor of the parking deck across the street; that really kills what could otherwise be a neat plaza area. I wonder whether provisions could be made to upfit the Durham Centre deck for retail?

That's so weird that you say that. I walk by there every day and wonder what that might do for ticket sales - or like you say, a really cool plaza area. The only thing, in my opinion, worse than a huge parking deck that brings no foot traffic is a huge parking deck with an ugly, empty building on top that generates zero foot traffic.

I hope for the sake of the new theatre that some street level retail (along with the ATHD) is installed to help the area's vitality.

• 7 months later...

Durham City Council voted unanimously Monday to sign a contract with builder of Durham's $44 million downtown performing arts center.

See article:

http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-775109.html

The Durham Performing Arts Center

2,800 seats

Timeline

July 2006 Construction Documents for building construction complete

September 2006 Construction begins

October 2006

Memorial Auditorium is historic. obviously the best parts of the PECPC is Meymandi Hall. It is nationally recognized for its acoustics, which are near perfect, and its design. the performing arts venues here in the triangle are quite famous and they are great places to perform in. it is really nice to see durham take its part on the performing arts stage, no pun intended. this building will be gorgeous and will be a great addition to downtown durham.

Nice new home for Full Frame and ADF. I had heard the booking was going to compliment PE Center and be a little bit more daring than what gets booked at the PE Center. Duke will also be using this facility for their larger performing arts series events.

With it being that size might it "steal" a few shows that might otherwise go to Progress Engergy Performing Arts Center in Raleigh?

While I bet the main drive has been for special events like ADF, I bet you they won't mind stealing a few PEPAC shows as well. :P Can't blame them though....Durham is quite often treated as Raleigh's red-headed step-sister. Nice to see them have something that can grab some of the spotlight, too.

I only hope with this coming in that they don't neglect the Carolina Theatre though...that place is wonderful and needs regular upkeep and maintenance.

Archived