Tom Short / Rea Road Intersection Development

Mike1

In Union County, near the town of Marvin, at the corner of Rea Road and Tom Short Road (about 3 miles south of Stonecrest Shopping Center) there are 4 corners that maybe developed. I believe one corner is owned by Wal-Mart (please add any info you have about this legal battle between the residents and Wal-Mart), the other is owned by Longview (I believe they are trying to build something like Birkdale Village here), the other by Harris Teeter (but I think they are holding it to prevent other grocery stores from coming into the area and are leasing small spaces out, still to be built) and the other corner I'm not sure about. If you continue down Tom Short or are coming down Rea Road there is a light at this intersection where one can turn right into an upscale McMansion Community (with a lazy river, pools, tennis, a fitness center, etc.) called Marvin Creek by Toll Brothers.

Please post here any information or concerns you have about this intersection only (the traffic and what will be built there and the impact to the communities in this area of Union County, NC).

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually I spoke to the town of Marvin today, and they are NOT annexing that land where Wal_Mart will be built. Instead the are just getting some sort of right to have a say in what is developed around the town of Marvin. They were also VERY clear that they are NOT interfering with projects already in motion. They also pointed out that this statement hold true for the Wal-Mart on the corner of Rea and Tom Short that may be built. The town of Marvin has no intentions of getting involved in this legal dispute and stated they don't have the resources to fight Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, I think Wal-Mart will eventually win. I hope I'm wrong!

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what guys,

Marvin Creek/The Village center is the next big thing!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/16117617.htm

It would be across Rea Road from Wal-Mart's proposed Supercenter site.

Puckett sees Marvin's Village as a gathering place for the community -- a defined town center with pocket parks, walking trails, stores, services and perhaps a private school, church and a public library.

But in suburbia, nearly 500,000 square feet of commercial space and almost 260 more homes raise concerns about traffic congestion, school overcrowding and property values.

The developers said they surveyed residents of the adjacent Marvin Creek neighborhood. Of 50 respondents, 14 percent said they supported the village proposal in full, 64 percent in part and 22 percent not at all.

Marvin is one of the few suburban towns that actually has a sane growth policy. Wal-Mart is on it way to full approval. I hope the final product is attractive and fits into the scale of the town. I am not WM fan but if the affected community is strict enough they will accomodate their wishes. The Wal-Mart on my hometown of Hilton Head is muted in color,signage, and surrounded by trees, hopefully Marvin will demand the same. The Village that will rise across the street will hopefully work as a hub for the town and concentrate retail there instead of allowing sprawl, thereby keeping Marvin low density and attractive.

Archived