Rumsfeld Resigns

The administration will HAVE to become more open to working with Congress also - and as stated by someone above, Rummy has to go. W at some point will have to lose the attitude of ALWAYS supporting any Republican and takes steps a real leader would -- hold someone accountable, drop the pom-poms, and inject some new blood.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Straight from the too little too late department, Donald Rumsfeld has resigned as Sec. of Defense. Makes me wonder if Bush had taken care of him long ago wheter the Republicans would have held on to their majority.

link

edit: Looks like moonshield beat me to it so I went ahead and moved the post to this thread.

It looks like they will try and appoint Robert Gates, a former CIA somebody or other to take over the spot. This surprises me. I would have thought they would have tried to get the Senate back with this. Here's the scenario I envisioned: They offer the spot to Joe Lieberman, who accepts. Jodi Rell, Republican Governor of CT then gets to appoint the next Senator, which will, of course, be a Republican. The Senate then swaps back to GOP control. Shady, yes indeed, but I could see it happening...

Was just discussing this, wouldn't political strategy dictate Rumsfeld resign Monday, Sunday, or the previous Friday? Conceivably it could have decided a few tight races in the GOP's favor instead of the Dems. I can't imagine that Rumsfeld all of a sudden decided this last night, typically if it is announced today, then everyone "in the loop" knew a week ago. I am glad that their timing was apparently off on this, but man, talk about a series of unfortunate events..

It looks like they will try and appoint Robert Gates, a former CIA somebody or other to take over the spot. This surprises me. I would have thought they would have tried to get the Senate back with this. Here's the scenario I envisioned: They offer the spot to Joe Lieberman, who accepts. Jodi Rell, Republican Governor of CT then gets to appoint the next Senator, which will, of course, be a Republican. The Senate then swaps back to GOP control. Shady, yes indeed, but I could see it happening...

Gates, according to the AP story, is an old Bush family friend. We've heard that phrase far too much in the past 6 years. It doesn't mean he isn't qualified, but I'm holding my breath. I don't mind an ex CIA director being in charge of defense, as I see some parallels there, and potential benefits for the military to operate under the same framework as intelligence (I'm referring to the positive apsects), assuming he brings such a methodology to the position.

Actually Bush just last week said Rumsfield was doing a fine job and that he would stay on. Rumsfield is getting the hell out of there before the Democrats can open an investigation on how he has mismanaged this war. It's typical behavior of chicken hawk war mongers. Going gets tough and they run like scalded dogs from the responsibility.

Actually Bush just last week said Rumsfield was doing a fine job and that he would stay on. Rumsfield is getting the hell out of there before the Democrats can open an investigation on how he has mismanaged this war. It's typical behavior of chicken hawk war mongers. Going gets tough and they run like scalded dogs from the responsibility.

It's like each scandal, each report of corruption, and now, each resignation, is like the game Jenga. You know? you pull out one little stick at a time and soon enough, the whole thing comes toppling down.

Worst administration ever. Peace out Rummy!

I can't believe I am going to say this, but perhaps Bush showed a little integrity on this one, here is a quote from press secretary Josh Bolten:

"The president correctly decided that this decision does not belong in the political realm. And a decision as important as your secretary of defense should not be made based on some partisan political advantage. It would send a terrible signal to our troops, to our allies, even to our enemies."

The administration was waiting to see whether the Republicans held Congress. Had that been the case, Rumsfeld could have stayed on longer without risk of being forced out and replaced by a Democrat-approved nominee. When it was apparent the Senate was lost to the Democrats, the administration moved to replace him while their majority was intact. The decision for him to resign now was purely political.

^ I have made similar arguments since he resigned, but even if the Democrats forced him out, that process would take at least 6 months, possibly a year. I can understand not wanting certain things to come out from an investigation of Rumsfled, but seems that will happen with the nomination anyway as they pick apart the new candidate and their qualifications for the job. The Democrats may decide to investigate things related to the war regardless of Rumsfeld's current position, my bet is there are gems waiting to be found...

^ I have made similar arguments since he resigned, but even if the Democrats forced him out, that process would take at least 6 months, possibly a year. I can understand not wanting certain things to come out from an investigation of Rumsfled, but seems that will happen with the nomination anyway as they pick apart the new candidate and their qualifications for the job. The Democrats may decide to investigate things related to the war regardless of Rumsfeld's current position, my bet is there are gems waiting to be found...

Archived