FSU/Kendall to form an architecture school?

GRDadof3

In the editorial of the Business Journal this week, there was a mention of Ferris State looking at augmenting their engineering programs with a new architecture program through the FSU/Kendall venture. Would this be a good program to offer in GR?

I think right now the only universities that offer an architecture degree in Michigan are University of Detroit, University of Michigan, and Lawrence Tech (?).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am back in GR for the first time in a while... and today had the chance to park downtown and take a walk around. So much has changed! Downtown is a definite college town now. Rather, it has much more of a college atmosphere than it did before (especially with all of the GVSU stuff down there now). I never knew that Kendal and FSU merged either until I parked across the street. So much is going on too. I took some great pictures which I'll post in a while. it's good to be back.

btw... an architecture program at FSU/Kendal is a great idea. it's already one of the top design schools in the country, so I am positive that if it added an architecture program that it would be top knotch as well. I really like what Grand Rapids is becoming.

I've heard rumors of this for a month or so now. Its great news for people like me. Didn't want to have to relocate the family to Ann Arbor so I could go to Grad School... I couldn't read the article linked above since I'm not a subscriber, but I hope this thing kicks off soon!

I wonder if this could be coupled with the GR's status as a LEED city. Can LEED building design somehow be tied into an architectural school -- is that the norm? If at all I would think concentrating LEED concepts here could establish Grand Rapids as a learning center.

• 3 months later...

It'll be interesting to see what happens. They currently have an archicture program in Big Rapids, but it's only a 2 year program for an associate's degree. You'd think I'd know more about future plans since I still get there College of Technology alumni magazine and that's what the architecture program is it. :unsure:

According to Ferris - Kendall's Master Plan, this is what they have outlined for the current Art Museum building:

THE GRAND RAPIDS ART MUSEUM BUILDING (GRAM)

Immediately north of the Kendall Building between Lyon Street on the north and Pearl Street on the south, is the

Grand Rapids Art Museum. Formerly known as the Federal Court, this monumental Beaux Arts classic building

occupies the entire City block and contains 82,000 square feet. Through an agreement with the City of Grand

Rapids, Ferris State University will gain control of the building in June 2006 when the Art Museum vacates for a new

building it has under construction in the downtown area. It is the intention of FSU to renovate the GRAM to provide

much needed space for offices, student workshops and storage space would be located in the 21,000 square foot

basement. A library, art exhibition galleries, caf

• 1 year later...

According to Kendall's Winter 2008 newsletter, this project to take over the old GRAM building is still moving forward. It sounds like the project has jumped to $10 - $12 Million, and that a design firm was to be chosen in April. Anyone work for an AE firm, or know anyone at Kendall, that has the in on whether that selection process has happened? Did they go with VOA Associates of Chicago (who did the feasibility study)?

http://www.kcad.edu/direct/asset/show/1070

• 5 months later...
According to Kendall's Winter 2008 newsletter, this project to take over the old GRAM building is still moving forward. It sounds like the project has jumped to $10 - $12 Million, and that a design firm was to be chosen in April. Anyone work for an AE firm, or know anyone at Kendall, that has the in on whether that selection process has happened? Did they go with VOA Associates of Chicago (who did the feasibility study)?

http://www.kcad.edu/direct/asset/show/1070

Archived