FSU/Kendall to form an architecture school?

GRDadof3

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will not say LEED is only a public relations thing, but I will say it is most definitely possible to design a sustainable/environmentally friendly building without ever mentioning the four letters that are LEED

Yikes indeed... At least its not Moji showing you videos of him driving around in golf cart

Getting back to the subject...

An Architecture program at Kendall seems only natural. As a graduate of the Interior Design and Visual Communications programs I see a demand for such a degree at Kendall. They would have to offer a focus in Sustainability, you can no longer be in this field without such knowledge...it is not a trend, it's here to stay.

I experienced the politics of new degree offerings while I was a student at Kendall. There was a desire to create an Environmental Graphic Design degree which combines the education of architecture/interior design, graphic design, and industrial design. Basically it is the study of signage and wayfinding which is no longer an after thought for public spaces as it previously was.

Kendall had all the elements needed, but it came to a stalemate when each department felt their courses were more important to the degree...ie, one would have had 260 credits by the time they graduated! The committee, which I was a part of, disbanded and nothing more ever came of it.

One other point about sustainability, Aquinas has a Sustainable Business degree. My son is a graduate of this wonderful program. My experience is that all those who "speak green" in the area have a hand in it, yet these companies are not offering the internships and job offerings that these graduates need. My son was fortunate and had an internship with Local First. As for a job, he has moved to Ann Arbor and is still searching.

Archived