Post-Campaign

northernbizzkit1

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Shelby went 65% for Ford. I'd bet the Davidson majority went to Ford as well. Are there any other counties in Tennessee that could have had more votes for Ford than Corker? Or am I over-estimating how conservative TN is....

Also, Countdown just said Jim Webb has won and Dems have Senate control.

I heard Shelby went 65% for Ford. I'd bet the Davidson majority went to Ford as well. Are there any other counties in Tennessee that could have had more votes for Ford than Corker? Or am I over-estimating how conservative TN is....

Also, Countdown just said Jim Webb has won and Dems have Senate control.

luckily for me, i don't own a tv, so i missed all the commercials! (though i've seen the more notorious ones on youtube - curiosity got the better of me!)

but i am extremely happy that memphis is sending steve cohen to the house of reps. having just moved here a few months ago, i knew little about local politics when i arrived, but i reflexively associated memphis with conservative christian politics (which isn't entirely wrong, of course...) and was really astonished the more i learned about steve cohen that he was not only a genuine liberal but also a great guy who really, really cares about memphis. i'm proud of my new city for electing him. yay!

having just moved here a few months ago, i knew little about local politics when i arrived, but i reflexively associated memphis with conservative christian politics (which isn't entirely wrong, of course...) and was really astonished the more i learned about steve cohen that he was not only a genuine liberal but also a great guy who really, really cares about memphis. i'm proud of my new city for electing him. yay!

Interestingly, Steve Cohen is Jewish, so that doesn't really fit the conservative christian politics.

To the others, you can find county by county returns on the state's election website. But if you aren't that familiar with all the names of our 95 counties, lol, the Tennessean (Nashville's paper) made a pretty good graphic showing which counties went to which candidate. Here's the page it's on. http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/se...tegory=NEWS0206

There's alot of rural counties that went to Ford (just as they usually do for Dems actually).

One other note, the thing that really surprised me most about the elections in TN was the vast majority (80%) with which the marriage amendment passed. That was alot more than I thought it would win by. And since we're on the Memphis Bar and Grill, it's interesting to note that Shelby followed right along with that trend...80% of the county voted for the amendment.

In rural West Tennessee Ford did perform fairly well, losing Obion, Madison, Carroll, and Gibson by smaller margins than one might expect. NW TN although very Democratic locally, tends to be very independent in its voting habits statewide, with its counties usually being a bloc of make or break counties in close statewide elections.

Archived