My President

nashscan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Wikipedia, these were the nominees in the 2000 Republican primaries:

"Other candidates included social conservative activist Gary Bauer, businessman Steve Forbes, Utah Senator Orrin Hatch, former Ambassador Alan Keyes, former Tennessee Governor Lamar Alexander, former Red Cross director Elizabeth Dole, Ohio Congressman John Kasich, former Vice President Dan Quayle."

Sounds like he DID have to face some pretty good opposition.

Sure they were on the ballot, but they had all essentially ended their campaigns by that point under pressure from the GOP. McCain was the only one not to bow down to this pressure, but even he could not handle the money that was being poured in the Bush campaign for the SC primary. Bush had actually lost in New Hampshire and Iowa, and the GOP decided to put an end to it in SC.

Now that I think about it, even Dan Quayle even said it was unfair in what happened.

Sure they were on the ballot, but they had all essentially ended their campaigns by that point under pressure from the GOP. McCain was the only one not to bow down to this pressure, but even he could not handle the money that was being poured in the Bush campaign for the SC primary. Bush had actually lost in New Hampshire and Iowa, and the GOP decided to put an end to it in SC.

Now that I think about it, even Dan Quayle even said it was unfair in what happened.

^ Must have been super-secret phone calls, as I didn't get one. Neither did anyone else I know. Anyone from SC get one?

Did they only go to registered Republicans? If so, that may be why I didn't get one.

I don't doubt (well, I do a teeny bit) that it is true, but how widespread was it?

I would pay money to see McCain slug Bush. They could call it 'Presidential Smackdown!' and put it on pay-per-view. I bet it'd bring in tons of money.

^ Must have been super-secret phone calls, as I didn't get one. Neither did anyone else I know. Anyone from SC get one?

Did they only go to registered Republicans? If so, that may be why I didn't get one.

I don't doubt (well, I do a teeny bit) that it is true, but how widespread was it?

I would pay money to see McCain slug Bush. They could call it 'Presidential Smackdown!' and put it on pay-per-view. I bet it'd bring in tons of money.

Mediocre. I think certain things have been good, others have clearly not been good. The worst ever? Don't know about that, but certainly not sparkling. I think it will be many years before we have a truly shining president. It is a job I do not envy no matter who is in the driver's seat. There is good and bad in every person that occupies that position though.

• 1 month later...

I don't think FDR was a bad president at all. The WPA worked quite well, for one thing. The only criticism I can fling at him, and it isn't his fault, is that many of the programs he established should have been done away with after their goal was accompliahed.

I think, and I know I'll get flamed for it, that in 50 years, Bush II will be considered one of the best presidents in the nation's history. Carter will be considered one of the worst.

The Official White House website points out that he took office with 13,000,000 unemployed -- you'd think someone would have to take drastic measures with that in mind.

These quotes seem to indicate that FDR was at least quite popular and did some pretty amazing things (for a man in a wheelchair with polio).

"He was elected President in November 1932, to the first of four terms. By March there were 13,000,000 unemployed, and almost every bank was closed. In his first "hundred days," he proposed, and Congress enacted, a sweeping program to bring recovery to business and agriculture, relief to the unemployed and to those in danger of losing farms and homes, and reform, especially through the establishment of the Tennessee Valley Authority. "

"In 1936 he was re-elected by a top-heavy margin."

"When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, Roosevelt directed organization of the Nation's manpower and resources for global war. "

I'm no presidential scholar, but it seems he saw the nation through some awfully difficult times and, unless I am really missing something other than big business and the wealthy being upset, he accomplished quite a bit along with "the greatest generation ever".

Bush has done a few good things. He signed legislation that protected 160,000 acres of ocean near Hawaii that were actually looking to be exploited by fishermen. The area has an incredibly diverse eco system, and I won't downplay that because of everything else he has done. I also agree with him on immigration. We can't just shut 'em out, and we can't just open the gates. We need to let people in that want to come in in an orderly, documented fashion.

I also thought Bush was a good president from about 9/11/01 until early 2002, when he was big on fighting terrorism by going into Afghanistan. With his state of the Union speech, my respect for him began a downward spiral.

But these things are a few moderate things in a sea of neo-conservative visionary policies/proposals that I despise him for. And even more than I despise Bush, I hate Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney... I can kind of forgive GW for being stupid, but Dick Cheney or Condi Rice for htat matter are not stupid people, but they use their intelligence for such awful things.

I understand wanting to secure oil reserves for the future so our nation can continue to grow, but the price has not been worth it.. especially when you have to lie to come up with a reason to invade a country. Imagine if, rather than putting that money into fighting Iraq, we put it into funding research and development of new energy resources...

But that's all coulda shoulda woulda speculation. I'm hoping we have some quality candidates in 2008. I think the Republicans have some good candidates in the up and coming section and the Democrats are not far behind. Just about anyone will be better than Bush.

Bush has done a few good things. He signed legislation that protected 160,000 acres of ocean near Hawaii that were actually looking to be exploited by fishermen. The area has an incredibly diverse eco system, and I won't downplay that because of everything else he has done. I also agree with him on immigration. We can't just shut 'em out, and we can't just open the gates. We need to let people in that want to come in in an orderly, documented fashion.

I also thought Bush was a good president from about 9/11/01 until early 2002, when he was big on fighting terrorism by going into Afghanistan. With his state of the Union speech, my respect for him began a downward spiral.

Archived