Mayor Shirley Franklin race baiting?

Andrea

^What Aubie said, and Andrea too.

I actually feel betrayed by the Mayor. I too had put her on a pedistal, and have been known to hug her in public while I gush about how much I loved her. I'm sorry, but this crap changes everything........

I still love her, but I really do think she HAS to revisit this issue in more detail. People are seething over this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an article in this week's Creative Loafing that says Shirley Franklin did this to get back at Morris for endorsing Rob Pitts over her when she ran for her first term. If that was her motive, I think she could have done it by saying she thought Eaves is the better candidate without dragging race into this.

• 3 months later...

Those statement made by the old guard civil right activist i believe were a bit overboard.I look at it as nothing but OVER-DRAMTICS. HOWEVER,in the same regard I do understand, but not agree why they went that route.Mainly because of undertone of all these recent annexations of these wealthy,mostly white enclaves wanting to separate.It almost sounds like "white-flight all over again.It was'nt that long ago when Mitch Skandilakis was the chairman.He constantly stirred things up in the Right-Wing Republican led part of that time during the NEWT GINGRICH led years.Inner cities all over struggled because of the lack of funding, caring or understanding the importance of a city's core to remain vibrant.I think some of that was geared toward those years of Republican rule.Not the moderate republicans,but the CONSERVATIVE Right -Wing types They refer too,who happen to be white.Besides if you look at the records of someone like John Lewis jr,he is always there for all of his constituents regardless of race.Shirley Franklin is not a racist as her ACTIONS have never demonstated. Words have a way caring more weight than they should.I was the biggest Zell Miller fan and still think he was a great Governor.Over the last few years i have strongly disagreed with Alot of what he has said as he has changed.My point is only the most stupid of people actually believe as the advertisment suggest. If you don't stir people up,they won't vote.Mitch Skandilakis made a statement about " the monkeys running City HALL in Atlanta" when he ran for Lt.GOV.As it turned out that year had the highest number of black voter turnout in more than 10 years. We can argue compelling points on both sides,but until we realize that in THIS country,the more we try to Divide ourselves by race,class,sexual orientation ,etc..,Then we will be hurting our own wallets,peace of mind, and futures.Because it really is true "that no man is an island,no man stands alone."Since when have we held Politicians accountable for what the say as they are about.I suggest those who are hurt (understandaby so) sit back a view her actions.No one is perfect ,even the GREAT Shirley has laspses in judgement.

Archived