Trash/Recycling

Cotuit

Trash.gif

Mayor and City Council Kick Off Pilot Program for Semi-Automated Trash System

The city's semi-automated trash pilot program has begun in the Olneyville section of Providence. At a news conference today launching the program, Mayor David N. Cicilline praised neighborhood residents for their cooperation and said the pilot "will go a long way towards strengthening our neighborhoods and improving the quality of life for city residents by modernizing the city's trash collection system."

• 1 year later...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there anywhere I can take some things to be recycled? I don't want to hog our weekly limit with all this newsprint paper that I used to wrap up the breakables. The yellow pages just seem to list services for offices.

Thanks

Meg

You can use paper grocery bags to put them in if what you are worried about is overflowing your recyling bin. If you have them folded up and dense enough you can also tie twine around them and just leave them out, if you prefer. I don't think there is a physical limit to what the recycling truck will take. When I put in my IKEA kitchen I had about 500 (or so it seemed) corrugated boxes to get rid of. I cut them up and tied them up and had a nice wall of corrugated on the side of my house, which was all taken away.

there's limits? :lol:

seriously though... just put them in the box. and you can probably spread them out among your neighbor's boxes as well if necessary... or put them in paper shopping bags as was suggested, and they'll take it. people leave tons of stuff out all the time and they take it.

Does cardboard not go in the green bin? We've had cut up boxes from the salon I live behind in our green bin now for a month, they refuse to take them.

They won't take any cardboard that has oil in it (i.e. pizza boxes) ostensibly because the oil kills the process they use to reclaim the paper.

They won't take any cardboard that has oil in it (i.e. pizza boxes) ostensibly because the oil kills the process they use to reclaim the paper.

Ahh, therein lies the problem. Oily hair crap is probly in these. I guess I'll have to stuff them in a regular garbage bin and hope the regular garbage takes them.

Ahh, therein lies the problem. Oily hair crap is probly in these. I guess I'll have to stuff them in a regular garbage bin and hope the regular garbage takes them.

the regular garbage men generally don't check the contents of the barrels. you can probably put a dead body in those and they won't notice. :ph34r::whistling:

• 1 month later...

I heard that we'll be able to get smaller cans instead of the 90-gallon beasts. Does anyone know if that's that true?

There's not enough space on my property to store the big ones. Even if there were, it would be a real pain to get a full can down my steps to the street. My back hurts just thinking about it.

I heard that we'll be able to get smaller cans instead of the 90-gallon beasts. Does anyone know if that's that true?

There's not enough space on my property to store the big ones. Even if there were, it would be a real pain to get a full can down my steps to the street. My back hurts just thinking about it.

To paraphrase Steve Martin, "The new trash cans are here! The new trash cans are here!"

They just made the deliveries along Broadway this afternoon - and man are they H U G E ! They are the SUVs of the trash can world; the WBNA cans now look petite!

And just in time for the election! Interesting timing, no?

Hopefully these cans will have the desired effect of keeping the rodents away.

To paraphrase Steve Martin, "The new trash cans are here! The new trash cans are here!"

They just made the deliveries along Broadway this afternoon - and man are they H U G E ! They are the SUVs of the trash can world; the WBNA cans now look petite!

And just in time for the election! Interesting timing, no?

Hopefully these cans will have the desired effect of keeping the rodents away.

Archived