Trash/Recycling

Cotuit

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's a pretty good way of telling whether you can recycle something--if it is glass (not broken) or aluminum, you can throw it in. But if it is plastic, then the top has to be smaller than the bottom, so no to yogurt cups (because the top is wider), but yes to laundry detergent bottles, soda bottles etc.

My office has a ton of information on what you can and can't recycle, so stop by. Or PM me your address and i'll drop one in the mail to you. But this is pretty much what i'd tell ya so just go here.

Rhode Island Resource Recovery

I was being quite serious, no sarcasm intended!

No new cans yet at my end of the Armory. I haven't seen any in the rest of the West End, either. Also, no cans in North Elmwood or Upper South Providence. Rats galore!

In the past two years, I have talked with the city quite a bit about their distribution plan for these cans, and the plan to educate the general population about recyling and using the cans correctly. Suffice it to say that their plan is, well, dumb.

Have they distributed any info about recycling and correct use of the cans with the can delivery?

the city and RI Resource Recovery used to pay Groundwork to be the defacto recycling education organization, but we have not received $ in some time. The person who was the recycling coordinator left over a year ago, and was not replaced because of funding.

I do know that our trash cans came with literature, which basically told us what we could put in it (trash) and what we could not put in it (dead animals)

the city and RI Resource Recovery used to pay Groundwork to be the defacto recycling education organization, but we have not received $ in some time. The person who was the recycling coordinator left over a year ago, and was not replaced because of funding.

I do know that our trash cans came with literature, which basically told us what we could put in it (trash) and what we could not put in it (dead animals)

As I understand it, (correct me if I'm wrong, Ms. Coleslaw), RI Resource Recovery stopped funding Groundwork because the city was not being supportive or proactive on the recycling front, and RIRRC felt that, without city cooperation & participation, they were basically throwing money in a hole. So the city's inaction led to a small organization losing funding.

The original plan for the distribution of the new cans included a big education campaign about recycling, including door-to-door outreach, as well as increased enforcement of correct use of the cans (meaning making sure they were sealed tight, that folks were recycling, etc.)

Problem was, the city wanted small community organizations to do all the legwork for the education campaign, without supporting or compensating those small non-profits for their work. In my view, this essentially meant the city was asking small non-profits to contribute $ to the city's campaign. Rrr.

Also, representatives of the city and Public Works, as far as I know, have come up with no resources or plan for how this "increased enforcement" is supposed to happen. Originally, it included the Director of Environmental (i.e. trash) and one other guy going around knocking on people's doors. I hope hope hope my feelings about Public Work's incompetence regarding this whole thing is proved wrong.

If you are unsure about whether something is recyclable... DO NOT just throw it in the bin... it causes "contamination"... if there is enough contamination in a batch of recycled goods, they will just dump the whole batch rather than try to remove the "unrecyclable goods".

Generally the rule for plastics is... a) blown plastics are recyclable.... b) molded plastics are not.... blown plastics have necks like a blown glass bottle.... molded plastics typically do not have necks like a yogurt cup.

ANYONE know what we're supposed to do with our old BLUE GARBAGE CANS FROM WBNA?

Our Big Green Cans arrived just an hour ago (just off Broadway). There is a booklet enclosed in each can about usage, and a flyer about recycling. I'm kind of shocked that you aren't supposed to use your old cans for anything except yard waste (and you're supposed to get a special yellow sticker that designates it as a yard waste can from the Dept. of Public Works). That made me wonder about this:

ANYONE know what we're supposed to do with our old BLUE GARBAGE CANS FROM WBNA?

I'm kind of shocked that you aren't supposed to use your old cans for anything except yard waste (and you're supposed to get a special yellow sticker that designates it as a yard waste can from the Dept. of Public Works).

You need to go buy a recycling bin from the Public Works office on Allens Ave. They cost $3 or $4 a piece. They don't drop off the bins for free.

I know, not exactly the way to make recycling effortless, but if you want to recycle in Prov, that's what you do.

Archived