Trash/Recycling

Cotuit

here's a little recycling tip for folks today:

i recently found out that some cardboard food boxes cannot be recycled because they are coated in some kind of wax. Those are: soda can boxes and frozen veggie/supper boxes. Cereal, cookie, cracker boxes, though are ok because they aren't specially coated to go in the fridge or freezer.

and that's your recycling tip for today. "cue "The More You THROWWWWWW" music.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
here's a little recycling tip for folks today:

i recently found out that some cardboard food boxes cannot be recycled because they are coated in some kind of wax. Those are: soda can boxes and frozen veggie/supper boxes. Cereal, cookie, cracker boxes, though are ok because they aren't specially coated to go in the fridge or freezer.

and that's your recycling tip for today. "cue "The More You THROWWWWWW" music.

If i could get the funding to front the project I would do it. It would be fun to design an interesting bin with some neat logo on it--limited edition. It could be one of those collectable recycle bins. I could start a whole trend!

Well its trash night again and my Big Green Can is full of leaves, branches, and Sam Adams bottles. I think there's some regulah gaabige in there too.

. . . I refuse to PAY for a government approved container to hold a category of waste that I have to separate from the rest of the waste.

Never heard back from Dan, but in case he's reading, I also wanted to note that there is no "official" container for yard waste, so not having one is a bunk excuse for not separating leaves and twigs from regular trash. All you need to get your yard waste picked up separately is the big letters "YARD WASTE" written on an old trash can.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When I was leaving my house this morning my landlady was there and she was dragging the trash barrels out to the street. She was all flustered. She told me she opened one to see if it was full and a rat jumped out. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I think RI doesn't do that because of the small size of the state. Someone buys a Coke on Route 6 in Seekonk, pays Mass. the five cents, but deposits it here in RI. Mass. keeps the nickel, and RI loses a nickel. Of course that doesn't always happen, RI most likely would end up receiving more nickels than it pays out, but there is an entire infrastructure that needs to be paid for to run the redemption system, and it would likely end up being a wash revenue wise.

I think RI doesn't do that because of the small size of the state. Someone buys a Coke on Route 6 in Seekonk, pays Mass. the five cents, but deposits it here in RI. Mass. keeps the nickel, and RI loses a nickel. Of course that doesn't always happen, RI most likely would end up receiving more nickels than it pays out, but there is an entire infrastructure that needs to be paid for to run the redemption system, and it would likely end up being a wash revenue wise.

I'm sure it would prompt more people to recycle, but the state has to make sure it doesn't lose money on the deal. I'm not sure anyone has ever done a study to see if RI would take a hit on a redemption program, or if that is simple conventional wisdom.

If we do start a redemption system, I'd like to see it be like Maine's, they slap a nickel on pretty much everything that is single serve except milk I believe.

I Googled it:

Originally, Maine's bottle bill only covered beer and soft drink containers, but in 1989 it was expanded to include wine, liquor, water and non-alcoholic carbonated or non-carbonated drink containers. Most of these containers are redeemable for five cents, but liquor and wine bottles have a redemtion value of fifteen cents.

http://www.maine.gov/spo/recycle/bottlebill/

Our recycling rates are affected by the fact that bottles and cans are scavenged. It makes it look like RI (providence in particular) isn't recycling, when in fact we are, just all our bottles and cans are being toted over the border for the five cents.

what we really need to do is get restaurants and bars on board with bottle recycling, and get businesses on board with paper recycling. Right now all businesses have to pay to have their trash hauled and it is a flat rate, so to then pay to have your recycling hauled is just more money out the door. Trash haul rates should be tied to how much trash you get hauled, and maybe it would make recyling a wash.

Archived