Trash/Recycling

Cotuit

this doesn't have anything to do with elections...it has everything to do with our neighborhood being just about the LAST to get them because someone decided to distribute them from the outside neighborhoods to the inside ones. I am actually surprised we got the cans before the election.

and i hope that the cans have the desired effect of keeping rodents away and if they don't i hope DPW and the PPD will start ticketing folks who aren't using theirs correctly.

btw, you cannot put dead animals in the cans, nor can you recycle them.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so all the other neighborhoods have the cans now?

you know the garbage men don't really pay attention to what's in the trash cans... you could easily dump a body in there and they wouldn't notice.

the problem with these cans is that on occasion, they aren't big enough (believe it or not), so you still need an additional spare. my neighbor still isn't using hers. she started using it, but seemed to have given up.

No, not if you live in the 13th. That race is simply a formality at this point, it would have been interesting if we had received them before the primary.

I'm endlessly annoyed that one of the most rats infested neighbourhoods in the city, one that is in the Council President's ward, STILL does not have these yet.

So are the using the robot garbage trucks in the areas that have them? We havent gotten ours yet, but a couple of years ago I bought 2 giant cans very similar to these and the garbage guys would just pull stuff out and not tip them so they ended up with a revolting stew in the bottom. I ended up having to toss them.

Also: I noticed this morning that the new restaurant/bar in the "west village" (or whatever they call it) complex on westminster has installed some very swank new doors and window treatments. Its going to look very nice.

So are the using the robot garbage trucks in the areas that have them? We havent gotten ours yet, but a couple of years ago I bought 2 giant cans very similar to these and the garbage guys would just pull stuff out and not tip them so they ended up with a revolting stew in the bottom. I ended up having to toss them.

Also: I noticed this morning that the new restaurant/bar in the "west village" (or whatever they call it) complex on westminster has installed some very swank new doors and window treatments. Its going to look very nice.

the trucks don't reach out with an arm and pick them up. the trucks do have this hook on them that the garbage men roll the can up to and it hooks onto the little handle on the front and lifts it up and dumps out the garbage.

i imagine they will get the ones with the arms once everyone has one. the problem is that in order to use that, you have to put the garbage can on the curb a special way (with the front facing the street, in fact, there's arrows on the can). of course the moron below me doesn't understand this.

it defeats the purpose of buying an expensive truck with a robotic arm to pick them up if no one puts them out properly.

nope. you have separate bins for them that both go out weekly. the green bin is for paper, the blue one for glass/plastic/cans. there's people in my neighborhood that go around and pull out all the soda and beer cans to take somewhere to get the 5 cent deposit.

Speaking of which... er, what exactly are the blue ones for? We have, and, until the huge quantities of packing paper associated with our move are gone -- which probably won't be the case for months, will continue to have more paper and cardboard than the green bins can handle, so I've just been going ahead and filling up the blue ones, too. The garbage collectors don't seem to mind -- they take whatever I put in there. But what are you officially supposed to put in the blue ones?

Urb

You can recycle plastics numbered 1-4. #5 is one of the most common (yogurt containers and other heavy plastic food packaging), but we can't recycle that.

RI had one of the first curbside recycling programs in the country, but since it was started (way back in my youth), it really hasn't been updated much. We are behind many other states in terms of the kind of stuff we can out out at the curb here. It's a shame.

Archived