Trash/Recycling

Cotuit

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rhode Island Resource Recovery (not to be confused with RI Public Interest Research Group) does not fund us, except occasionally sponsoring events we hold. We get zero funding from the city, or RIRR currently. However, people still call looking for recycle bins, and i'm sure i'll be fielding a lot of phone calls regarding the garbage cans.

Problem is, someone has to FUND an organization to do this work. It takes $ to operate RIPIRG, too. After all, staff has to be paid, materials have to be bought, etc. And no one does fund that work here. RIRRC used to, but stopped for the resaons I explained above. The city won't fund someone else to do it, or even allocate $ and staff to it themselves. With out the city being totally behind it, there's practicaly no chance a grantor is going to trow money at it, either, So the city pretty much has us all hog-tied.

We fund the PIRG's

Fund for Public Interest and Research, but the State PIRG's are allowed to do things to help, I dealth with the finance department and we granted some many special budget requests for things, mostly to the San Francisco and LA PIRGs cause they did a lot with smog and some other issues. But I don't recall outside groups recieving extra moneys, but the PIRGs are all donated money and I mean I can see it being very possible.

I know people were concerned about getting the barrels getting awareness of which barrels to use for what, and then promoting the use of the barrels in the proper ways, help distribute the leaves waste stickers etc. I also find it very reasonable for them to send out one of their street teams to do it, I know it is not a huge task, atleast the informational stuff, that could be sometime done in a week of setting up and then just getting everything out.

I'd go on strike and just refer everyone back to the city, if I were you. I have Public Works' Director of Environemental Services' cell phone number, if you want it. (the situation isn't really his fault, though. Maybe tell people to call the city councilors with questions. Most of their home #'s are in the phone book.)

Disregard if this has already been posted. It seems to give a pretty thorough rundown of what you can and cannot recycle.

Looking over previous posts, I noticed someone asked about smaller trash cans. The Summit Neighborhood Assoc newsletter (can't find it online) had a picture of one and said that they were available upon request. I think it said to call the DPW.

Disregard if this has already been posted. It seems to give a pretty thorough rundown of what you can and cannot recycle.

Looking over previous posts, I noticed someone asked about smaller trash cans. The Summit Neighborhood Assoc newsletter (can't find it online) had a picture of one and said that they were available upon request. I think it said to call the DPW.

• 2 weeks later...
We should not have to wait until we have a critical mass of businesses and rich residents in order to apply the a decent standard to our environment (built, natural, public, etc) In other words, we shouldn't have to creat a "Friends of Providence's Environment" group and have bake sales to do all this work when all the departments already exist, they just don't work together all that well.

Screw the recycling bins. The little packet that came with the trash cans said all my waste would fit in them if I recylced. If I recycled what? There are four apartments in my building and we have one green and one blue recycle bin. We've never used them, the recycling goes on the sidewalk next to the trash because there's no way it will fit in those stupid bins. I don't know what they do with it and I don't care. In New York we had full sized trash barrels, two of 'em for recylcing. You can tell a city is serious about recycling when they give you the space to do it properly.

Archived