Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well remember the Ritz won't only be attracting the uber rich.........imagine all the middle classed newlyweds who will be staying there on their honeymoons, all the middle classed Carolinians that will book a room just to experience it.....

And the upper middle classed folks in town to see a Bobcats game------would they be able to resist staying at the Ritz, just for one night?

Good point. My wife and I are always looking for places to stay when the kids are away. We usually try places that have an upscale feel that caters to those of us tired and worn out by the 9 to 5 and kids. Last summer we stayed at the Bellagio and I imagine the service at the Ritz will be on par. I think this hotel will be a draw for uptown just like you said.

Consumer Reports just listed the Ritz as excellent in all areas of comparison. It was the only hotel chain that came close to that level of result. I have stayed at the Ritz multiple times, and it has been very enjoyable. On par with the St Regis and better than the Fairmont.

Also, it isn't like this is a hotel in a 17th century royal palace, like they have in Europe. It is simply a chain that is the highest brand level owned by Marriott Corp (maybe JW Marriott is higher, but I'm not sure). It often has corporate rates that are within the travel policies of most large companies, so any traveling employee can stay there, not just executives. I'm sure that Bank of America will have a very good corporate rate in this hotel, that means most of their employees visiting Charlotte will select Ritz.

Are they recladding founders hall? If you look at page 2 of the site plan it references a proposed curtain wall on the wall shared by Taverna, Spratts, and the Crown Club.

Yep. Little Firm has been hired to renovate Founders Hall to be more symbiotic to the changing climate on College. They are going to blow out the ground floors of FOunders Hall on College, open it up with glass front, and make a new entrance at the corner of Trade and College. The idea being that the Tryon address of BoA will be only for show, and the new functional "heart" if you will, will be on College. It's still in design stages, so I suppose any details could change. But that's the idea.

Thanks for the info The Escapists! I also notice that the Ritz will have an automobile entrance along Trade. I don't think we knew this before did we?

Yea, there was a very crude rendering earlier in this thread that hinted at it, but just looked incomplete, this verifies it.

I also noticed that the part of the Ritz that faces College looks like it is the same shape as the boring prelim. renderings. <_<

Yep. Little Firm has been hired to renovate Founders Hall to be more symbiotic to the changing climate on College. They are going to blow out the ground floors of FOunders Hall on College, open it up with glass front, and make a new entrance at the corner of Trade and College. The idea being that the Tryon address of BoA will be only for show, and the new functional "heart" if you will, will be on College. It's still in design stages, so I suppose any details could change. But that's the idea.

This is fantastic news. From a streetscape point of view, BoA's presence on the Square is fairly monolithic anyway. Much better that it focus foot traffic (especially shoppers and theater-goers) toward College.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, I noticed that right away too, it took me some time to get bearings because of it. But I LOVE that they are recladding the parking deck, and the building, while somewhat cliche these days, will be a welcome change for Charlotte due to its transparency.

I have a feeling that it will not become an icon here, as it is relatively hidden and non-descript, but it will be a great skyline filler, and create density and activation for the streets in this area. I'm very happy.

I haven't really given myself any authority on architectural criticism, so my happiness with this design isn't really hard earned :). But as always, I ecstatic at the number of jobs and people this project will put into the heart of the city. I believe this project plus Epicentre will help to draw the crowds that Hearst already pulls to College down to 4th Street, making College more of a mainstream street for pedestrians. Currently, you feel like you have crossed the threshold when you walk south on College past 5th, and you feel like you definitely should make your way to Tryon at that point. By having destinations now all the way to 4th Street, there might now be many pedestrians on both College and Tryon between 4th and 5th, just as there are between 5th and 7th.

While pushing Tryon's pedestrian activity farther north and south is good, it is also good to create more of that vibe on College and Church, helping to give Charlotte more of depth. Right now, it is a fair criticism to say that that urban activity is only on Tryon right now, with just a couple of exceptions.

My goal would be to have both Tryon street activitated fully from Hill St to 11th St, Trade Street activated fully from McDowell to Sycamore, with similar activation just a block away, along 4th, 5th, College and Church. Then, the wards can grow through more residential activity, with a few hot spots interspersed.

Long story short, this 'superblock' project is really helping that cause, and I think the project, so far, seems to be happening in a high quality way.

This tower will really help drive the epicenter project, as will Charlotte plaza and bofa plaza. I can imagine epicenter teaming with people around lunch time. And what better to do after work than go see a movie and have a couple drinks, I know I'll see dub there for sure.

Reminds me of the "mesh" material that covers the parking deck at Gateway Village that moves in the wind.

The backside of this deck (facing the LRT tracks) is already at least partially clad in a metal material that in fact moves in the wind. Could they just be extending what's on this side all the way around?

I think I am understanding the concept more now: since we have heard this tower is to be BoA's response to the new architectural trend toward Green building, I would think the plan was to make this building as unobtrusive as possible from a design perspetive. Sleek, natural lines - the "glass curtain" they call it. The shape is almost in an International Style, but with a modern twist. Mostly nondescript, but with an effort to show that it is infact an important building.

Also, Has anyone noticed that the renderings we have seen seem to be very understated, the colors are muted, the lines are not bold at all. I would say this is the real concept. Keep it simple, natural, unobtrusive, sleek, colors that blend into the sky. I would also venture to suggest this is in response to the fact that BoA's last companion tower to the Corp tower was Hurst, which in most opinions is way more beautiful and ornate than the Corp tower. This time, they keep it simple, otherwise they will constantly have to be outdoing themselves.

Kudos on the building. It is the right thing for that block.

The backside of this deck (facing the LRT tracks) is already at least partially clad in a metal material that in fact moves in the wind. Could they just be extending what's on this side all the way around?

You have this deck mixed up with the deck for the Holiday Inn. This deck is currently that beige color with yellow screening in each square hole/window, between Trade and 5th. The deck with the moving metal artistic screening is on the deck that is otherwise brick between 5th and 6th.

I think I am understanding the concept more now: since we have heard this tower is to be BoA's response to the new architectural trend toward Green building, I would think the plan was to make this building as unobtrusive as possible from a design perspetive. Sleek, natural lines - the "glass curtain" they call it. The shape is almost in an International Style, but with a modern twist. Mostly nondescript, but with an effort to show that it is infact an important building.

Unfortunately I'm seeing the same thing. This is rehashed International Style folks. Sure it has a more interesting glass covering than past International Style skyscrapers. But when everything is said and done, this will be a glass box a la Bank of America Plaza and the Omni Hotel. A more attractive glass yes, but glass still the same.

I think it's a huge lost opportunity to build something of the stature of Hearst Tower or IJL Tower...instead Uptown is getting another glass box---- a faux-International Style tower directly across the street from two "original" International Style boxey towers.

Archived