Ritz-Carlton Hotel & 1 Bank of America Center

uptownliving

You have this deck mixed up with the deck for the Holiday Inn. This deck is currently that beige color with yellow screening in each square hole/window, between Trade and 5th. The deck with the moving metal artistic screening is on the deck that is otherwise brick between 5th and 6th.

Oops... :mellow:

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately I'm seeing the same thing. This is rehashed International Style folks. Sure it has a more interesting glass covering than past International Style skyscrapers. But when everything is said and done, this will be a glass box a la Bank of America Plaza and the Omni Hotel. A more attractive glass yes, but glass still the same.

I think it's a huge lost opportunity to build something of the stature of Hearst Tower or IJL Tower...instead Uptown is getting another glass box---- a faux-International Style tower directly across the street from two "original" International Style boxey towers.

I don't feel that International Style is without it merits in context. There is a place for everything, and since the greater part of uptown is so concerned with Modern and maybe even a Post-Gothic, I am glad to see someone set themselves apart. Charlotte has gone crazy (and not just in uptown) with turrets and half moons. My vote is still out though as a whole.

I don't feel that International Style is without it merits in context. There is a place for everything, and since the greater part of uptown is so concerned with Modern and maybe even a Post-Gothic, I am glad to see someone set themselves apart. Charlotte has gone crazy (and not just in uptown) with turrets and half moons. My vote is still out though as a whole.

Yeah, I can't really give an opinion based on this rendering. Looks nice but renderings usually look better than the final product. Anyone know if this will be angular like it appears in the drawing, or is it just going to be a box? If it's a box than I don't appreciate the design, if it is angular (by this I mean not 90 degree angled corners, then I think there will be more hope for this design.

Unfortunately I'm seeing the same thing. This is rehashed International Style folks. Sure it has a more interesting glass covering than past International Style skyscrapers. But when everything is said and done, this will be a glass box a la Bank of America Plaza and the Omni Hotel. A more attractive glass yes, but glass still the same.

I think it's a huge lost opportunity to build something of the stature of Hearst Tower or IJL Tower...instead Uptown is getting another glass box---- a faux-International Style tower directly across the street from two "original" International Style boxey towers.

And just what is wrong with the International Style? You have Phillip Johnson and Mies van der Rohe rolling in their graves right now.

I think the building will be beautiful. What you're not seeing is the curved glass wall at the intersection of College and Fifth. Just glad the PoMo crap is not rearing its ugly head again. Come on with that clear glass curtain wall!! Woo Hoo!!

I've mentioned this before, but I'll go ahead and bring it up again. In Seattle, we have the WaMu Tower, a recently completed LEED corporate tower.

From the ferry viewpoint, approaching Seattle affords a blockbuster view of the skyline. The WaMu Tower bores me. The clear glass is nice, but to inspire us shouldn't a building also be beautiful?

That building cost LOTS of $$$ for Washington Mutual to build, but I much prefer their post modern tower built in 1991. It has a classicism while the new tower is a glass box with pretty glass.

Of course this is all subjective opinion on my part. My partner happens to love the building. Maybe when the new BofA tower is complete, every one will like it but me.:) hehhee

are those trees inside the upper floors of the rendering? I wonder if it will have the same transparent look on the skyline that Trademark does. I swear that building just disappears into the carolina blue skys sometimes.

This building will be really visible from the east I think.

I've decided I like it.

2 corners have atriums up the entire building (every 3 floors) which hopefully will be transulent to the outside.

There is also one rounded edge (maybe two) so its not a box.

Charlotteman, you mentioned the new WaMu, and that's exactly what this building reminds me of.

It will never be a talked about building in Charlotte, but I agree that it has great context, and is a pleasant compliment to the existing BofA rather than a flashy distraction.

It will put about 2500 more people in downtown, so that's a bonus, plus it is eliminating a surfact lot. Assuming we can get some decent street-level detail out of this, I think its a win all around. It would be rather stupid to not have street level retail considering the trouble they are going to go through to open up Founder's Hall.

It will never be a talked about building in Charlotte, but I agree that it has great context, and is a pleasant compliment to the existing BofA rather than a flashy distraction.

This is an excellent point, and well articulated. The average Joe/Josephine on the street Uptown will probably LOVE this building. It won't be talked about like BofA corp, or Hearst, as you said. But now that I think about it, you're right. Too much dazzle in a small area would be a bit overwhelming.

To me, the statements about this building are its simplicity, but its focus on building responsibly rather than vainly. To build green these days, there seems to be a need to build glass buildings with mostly translucent glass. It creates a better lit and healthier work environment inside, and reduces energy needs. If all buildings in this city were also built with a simple aesthetic, but a heavy focus on spending for green and sustainable features, we would be a much better city.

I don't believe that improved design and green features are mutual exclusive, but I think I agree with atlrvr in that they didn't want a distraction from the main corporate center. But the green aspects of the design more than make up for the points lost in the area of uniqueness.

I believe that the transparency of the glass will set this building far apart from the glass boxes of the 70s, for better or worse.

BIG NEWS!

At least for those that care about green buildings.

The CBJ incorrectly reported the complex's LEED ratings last week.

The Ritz WILL be LEED certified (with a planted roof)

And the office tower will be PLATINUM certified. I'm not aware of any other office tower in the country, other than BofA's NYC building that is seeking LEED Platinum.

BIG NEWS!

And the office tower will be PLATINUM certified. I'm not aware of any other office tower in the country, other than BofA's NYC building that is seeking LEED Platinum.

Awesome news! Thanks for sharing atlrvr.

BIG NEWS!

By planted roof, does that mean grass on the top to help with run off and keep the building cool? I remember seeing a special on one of the car factories (Ford?) out west that had a grass roof and they were talking about how it reduced their costs because their A/C bill went down among other things and stopped run off from the rain.

That is awesome. It isn't really grass that they use, but some other plants that do well with the climate on roofs like that. The car factory was the original Ford plant, the River Rouge, which was a toxic brew. Bill McDonough, an eco-celeb architect, redesigned it so that it could be a healthy place.

Green roofs should be standard in Charlotte, where A/C is a necessity of life. I am very happy to hear that it is starting to come to projects like this.

So this would be Charlotte's first and only Platinum Certified LEED project? Has there been any other projects that are aiming towards this certification (Platinum)?

Andy, read above this is only the second project in the country aiming for LEED PLATINUM.

Archived